Source
| quote: | Detroit-- A large sinkhole has formed at the site of the former Lafayette Building between Shelby and Griswold in the city's downtown.
The sinkhole, which is 10 to 12 feet deep and about 20 feet wide, developed late Wednesday night at the property adjacent to the famed Lafayette Coney Island.
A break in a Detroit Water and Sewerage Department line located above a DTE Energy gas line, also damaged, caused the sinkhole, said water department spokesman George Ellenwood today.
It will take at least two weeks before the area will be reopened to drivers, Ellenwood said.
It appears that crews contracted to demolish the Lafayette Building accidentally damaged the lines, Ellenwood said.
"We believe the break is related to the demo work," he said. "First, we do the repairs, then we look at who bears the cost. It is an issue to be determined."
Water department employees shooed away media and gawkers who got close to the edge of the sinkhole today because there was nothing underneath to support any weight, they said.
"We are not sure of the stability under the pavement," Ellenwood said. "We try to keep people away form the edge."
Ellenwood was not certain if Lafayette Coney Island or its adjacent rival, American Coney Island, are in danger of sliding into the sinkhole.
"I am sure the city will make sure none of the other structures are damaged in other ways," he said.
Water service should be restored in time for the noon lunch crowd, Ellenwood said. It was not clear when gas line repairs would be completed, but American Coney Island was open for business and selling coney dogs this morning. Lafayette Coney Island was closed.
Adamo Demolition Co. began tearing down the Lafayette Building this fall, but delays prevented the company from performing work over the winter.
Officials with the company told The Detroit News for a story last month that the job would not be completed by June 1.
|
|