Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > It's too expensive to copyright stuff!
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Lira
Be a Good One!

Evil1 It's too expensive to copyright stuff!

Bloody hell! I was doing some research on how to copyright stuff here and I just found out I have to pay 17 R$ for the government! (it would be just like paying 17 U$ in the US)

I know that there's the "mailing yourself" thing, but I'm not quite sure if it works here in my country Why do we have to pay to copyright stuff? I mean, we have all the trouble producing the damn thing and we need to pay afterwards so other people will not copy what we've done?! Doesn't make much sense, we'll have to pay for a lawyer to sue the bastard who might've copied our work anyway

Greedy selfish bastards

Old Post Dec-27-2002 03:22  Brazil
Click Here to See the Profile for Lira Click here to Send Lira a Private Message Visit Lira's homepage! Add Lira to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Nadi
Not quite an addict

From what I understand copyright laws are the same almost everywere, and you can mail yourself something you've basically copyrited it, but you probably should check first.

Old Post Dec-27-2002 03:34  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Nadi Click here to Send Nadi a Private Message Add Nadi to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lira
Be a Good One!

That's what I'm trying to find out If it's part of those international treats (like the Berne Convention, the Rome Convention and so on...), I'll do it right away, but I just can't find the clause in which reads "if the owner of the property mails his work to himself, his work is automatically copyrighted" I know I won't find these words, but I'm looking for something that will make them become true

Old Post Dec-27-2002 03:43  Brazil
Click Here to See the Profile for Lira Click here to Send Lira a Private Message Visit Lira's homepage! Add Lira to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
kirbtastic
Supreme tranceaddict

i know a creative process is copyrighted the second the artist completes it and puts it in a tangeble medium, such as a website or a brochure. i do have to copyright certain corporate works of art such as logos and slogans, but that is to protect my client, not me. i dont know if it is the same for music..but music is a creative process. anyway its well worth the 17 bucks to do it, you dont want anyone taking credit for your hard work and ideas. the following is what u need to do if u want to apply for a copyright.

List each author or artist who contributed to the work.

If the author or artist was working for someone else, write down the name and address of the employer.

If the work was published, you will need the date and location where it was published.

If the work is based on another work, you will need the exact title of the pre-existing work.

pixel8edconcepts.com :: new flash site in the works

Old Post Dec-27-2002 04:03  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for kirbtastic Click here to Send kirbtastic a Private Message Add kirbtastic to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lira
Be a Good One!

So, you're saying that if I upload my tune to an mp3.com account, it counts as copyrighted material You sure?
quote:
Originally posted by
kirbtastic

List each author or artist who contributed to the work.

hhmmm... that would be me
quote:
Originally posted by
kirbtastic

If the author or artist was working for someone else, write down the name and address of the employer.

I don't think my keyboards will ask for the credits Nor the company that produced some of the softwares I used
quote:
Originally posted by
kirbtastic

If the work was published, you will need the date and location where it was published.

Still unreleased
quote:
Originally posted by
kirbtastic

If the work is based on another work, you will need the exact title of the pre-existing work.

Nope, I don't think that's the case

Old Post Dec-27-2002 05:11  Brazil
kirbtastic
Supreme tranceaddict

like i said im not sure about music..but i know that is the case for my designs.

Old Post Dec-27-2002 05:53  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for kirbtastic Click here to Send kirbtastic a Private Message Add kirbtastic to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lira
Be a Good One!

I tried to call the government's institution, but nobody answes the phone

Doesn't anybody know where in the international treaties this "mailing" thing is?

Old Post Dec-27-2002 16:36  Brazil
kirbtastic
Supreme tranceaddict

This is right out of the US copyright law maunual.

Your work is under copyright protection the moment it is created and fixed in a tangible form so that it is perceptible either directly or with the aid of a machine or device.

A work is a "Berne Convention work" if-

(1) in the case of an unpublished work, one or more of the authors is a national of a nation adhering to the Berne Convention, or in the case of a published work, one or more of the authors is a national of a nation adhering to the Berne Convention on the date of first publication;

(2) the work was first published in a nation adhering to the Berne Convention, or was simultaneously first published in a nation adhering to the Berne convention and in a foreign nation that does not adhere to the Berne Convention;

(3) in the case of an audiovisual work-

(A) if one or more of the authors is a legal entity, that author has its headquarters in a nation adhering to the Berne Convention; or

(B) if one or more of the authors is an individual, that author is domiciled, or has his or her habitual residence in, a nation adhering to the Berne Convention; or

(4) in the case of a pictorial, graphic, or sculptural work that is incorporated in a building or other structure, the building or structure is located in a nation adhering to the Berne Convention; or

(5) in the case of an architectural work embodied in a building, such building is erected in a country adhering to the Berne Convention.

I think you should just pay the 17 bucks..if one of the bigger companies steals your work ur screwed. If you cant afford the 17 bucks to register, you definately cant afford the attorney fees and years of litigation it can take to prove that it was originally your song.

Thats what these companies do..they know the common person cant afford to stay in court as long as they can, although you can sue them to pay for you lawyer fees, but that is only if you win the case. having that song registered will be a big plus on your side.

Old Post Dec-27-2002 17:09  United States
mindshooter
Neverchanging avatar

Ive read about those laws in school. I was told that materials are automatlicy copywrighted as long as they are "Artistic" or what you call it. Has to be one of a kind. And you cant copywrite a webdesign. I know this. It wouldnt work.

For example a photo you get copywrite automaticly. no one has the right to use it until 70 Years after the photo is taken without your permission

I dont really know about music. How can you copywrite it? And where would the line be drawn? I mean do you copywrite the buildup or the baseline?

Old Post Dec-27-2002 22:48 
Click Here to See the Profile for mindshooter Click here to Send mindshooter a Private Message Add mindshooter to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
kirbtastic
Supreme tranceaddict

actually u cant use a photograph until 70 years after the person dies...and u absolutely can copyright a website...my website and every design on there is copyrighted.

Old Post Dec-27-2002 23:03  United States
Lira
Be a Good One!

I've sorted things out already
quote:
Originally posted by mindshooter
I dont really know about music. How can you copywrite it? And where would the line be drawn? I mean do you copywrite the buildup or the baseline?

You copyright the melody and lyrics. Remember the incident between Armin and Picotto. Picotto copied a melody composed by Armin and used it not giving Armin any credits. It means that Picotto was earning profit from Armin's work. It's quite hard to copyright build-ups, because the way I see it, it's just a pause for the drums. Silence is part of music, so it can't be copyrighted. The same goes for the bassline. If you're refering to the synth used, or the structure, it can't be copyrighted because the synth was created by another person and structure is just a part of the melody. If the structure is the same (e.g. lenght, pauses), but the chords and notes are different, the melody changes: it becomes another music.

Old Post Dec-27-2002 23:21  Brazil
mindshooter
Neverchanging avatar

quote:
Originally posted by kirbtastic
actually u cant use a photograph until 70 years after the person dies...and u absolutely can copyright a website...my website and every design on there is copyrighted.

Actually thats a common misstake...music is copywrited until 70 years after death..thats why you can use Mozarts music for free today. But photos doesn aply to that...its 70 years after its taken and it doesn matter if your alive or not

And about the website thingy...thats just what my teacher told me, the law does not aply to the internet so far os something like that. It does aply to pictures or logos. But not desigens..havent you seen that site with people rippin other sites designs? How come they are not convicted in that case?

Old Post Dec-28-2002 02:25 
Click Here to See the Profile for mindshooter Click here to Send mindshooter a Private Message Add mindshooter to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > It's too expensive to copyright stuff!
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread