Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Other > Political Discussion / Debate > Da Book Recommendations Thread inda Houze..
Pages (31): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
TranceGiant
randomly disappoints

Read Kafka's Metamorphosis the other day (its very short). Good absurd read that leaves huge space for interpretation. Typical subway literatur I guess.

Old Post Dec-21-2003 12:26  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for TranceGiant Click here to Send TranceGiant a Private Message Visit TranceGiant's homepage! Add TranceGiant to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Trancer-X
mutatis mutandis

Dr. Henry Kissinger - Diplomacy

Old Post Dec-22-2003 07:33  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Trancer-X Click here to Send Trancer-X a Private Message Visit Trancer-X's homepage! Add Trancer-X to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
occrider
Traveladdict

quote:
Originally posted by priveye03
"Dreadnought: Britain, Germany, and the Coming of the Great War"
Robert K. Massie

Wow someone else that actually read that book . Great for all you WW1 nuts. I'm pissed that the dreadnought arms race turned out to be so anti-climatic. Jutlant ... pffft what a pussy battle

Old Post Dec-22-2003 17:59  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for occrider Click here to Send occrider a Private Message Add occrider to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Yoepus
Neo-condimist

quote:
Originally posted by occrider
Wow someone else that actually read that book . Great for all you WW1 nuts. I'm pissed that the dreadnought arms race turned out to be so anti-climatic. Jutlant ... pffft what a pussy battle

bah occrider stop pretending like you read. You've told us all before that you don't read any books. I'd pull your old quote but that damn search function seems to be conviently incapacitated at the moment.

Click here to support the free mustard alliance.

Old Post Dec-23-2003 07:05  Israel
Click Here to See the Profile for Yoepus Click here to Send Yoepus a Private Message Visit Yoepus's homepage! Add Yoepus to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
MrSquirrel
Auf Wiedersehen

quote:
Originally posted by occrider

Everything about WWI ended up being anti-climactic. Unless you consider slogging around in trenches climactic. It was just a bloody and muddy conflict. Not very romantic in the way of grand battles or heroic breaking of sieges and the like.

MrS

-"Reality" is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.

Old Post Dec-27-2003 04:09  United Nations
Click Here to See the Profile for MrSquirrel Click here to Send MrSquirrel a Private Message Visit MrSquirrel's homepage! Add MrSquirrel to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
occrider
Traveladdict

quote:
Originally posted by Yoepus
bah occrider stop pretending like you read. You've told us all before that you don't read any books. I'd pull your old quote but that damn search function seems to be conviently incapacitated at the moment.

Search is back up

By the way ... has anybody else noticed the irony of a thread who's purpose is to encourage literary involvement having a slang thread title?

Old Post Dec-29-2003 21:43  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for occrider Click here to Send occrider a Private Message Add occrider to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
daffodil
don't worry about it

just finishing up "fear and loathing: on the campaign trail '72" by hunter s. thompson. ok, i'm a thompson freak but who else could make political coverage interesting, emotional, and not cookie-cutter? i'm already drawing parallels between this year's presidential election and the one in '72, i'll post more on that when i finish the book.

read it, it's good stuff.

Old Post Dec-31-2003 15:48  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for daffodil Click here to Send daffodil a Private Message Add daffodil to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
MisterOpus1
Grumpy Old Fart

quote:
Originally posted by daffodil
just finishing up "fear and loathing: on the campaign trail '72" by hunter s. thompson. ok, i'm a thompson freak but who else could make political coverage interesting, emotional, and not cookie-cutter? i'm already drawing parallels between this year's presidential election and the one in '72, i'll post more on that when i finish the book.

read it, it's good stuff.

I'd be damn interested in that book. I've read a couple of Thompson's books, and I still keep up with his commentaries on ESPN. Unbelievable writer. Let me know what you think. As soon as I finish up with Davinci Code, I might invest and buy this book as well.

and dance about,
and stick pickles in my honker...

Old Post Jan-07-2004 16:31  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for MisterOpus1 Click here to Send MisterOpus1 a Private Message Add MisterOpus1 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
occrider
Traveladdict

quote:
Originally posted by MisterOpus1
Let me know what you think. As soon as I finish up with Davinci Code, I might invest and buy this book as well.

I like the Davinci code. Fiction or not, it reinforced my belief that organized religion is a bunch of hooey.

Old Post Jan-07-2004 16:40  United States
squirrelly
The Phun Nun

Don't know if anyone posted it yet or not, but I'm currently reading:

The Best War Ever by Michael C.C. Adams

once I'm done, the next on the list is:

On Every Front by Thomas G. Paterson

Old Post Jan-07-2004 20:43  Poland
Click Here to See the Profile for squirrelly Click here to Send squirrelly a Private Message Add squirrelly to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Yohan
Champion of Deep&Nu-disco

Doubt it's been recommended as a political reading.

Robert A. Heinlein - Starship Troopers

Aside greatest military sci fi novel ever, got lots of thoughts about social and political philosophy.

And who says Heinlein's a liberal? (his other stuff leans towards liberalism)

Originally posted by chinamon
not true. i say "ugh"
but i am a tranny.

quote:
Originally posted by kotsy
lol colour me retarded

Old Post Jan-08-2004 08:16  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Yohan Click here to Send Yohan a Private Message Add Yohan to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
occrider
Traveladdict

quote:
Originally posted by EvilTree
Doubt it's been recommended as a political reading.

Robert A. Heinlein - Starship Troopers

Aside greatest military sci fi novel ever, got lots of thoughts about social and political philosophy.

And who says Heinlein's a liberal? (his other stuff leans towards liberalism)

I thought it had much to do with social philosophy. I haven't read the book but from what I've heard, and from what I've seen of the movie, it's a tongue in cheek critique of a fascist state.

Old Post Jan-08-2004 08:21  United States

TranceAddict Forums > Other > Political Discussion / Debate > Da Book Recommendations Thread inda Houze..
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (31): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbacktotally kicking prog track from Benz Aurium 002 [2005] [15]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackFranky Jones - My Obsession [2005]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread