Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Recommend: pumping classic prog/trance mixes
Pages (12): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Midlothian
Reaping the percussions

According to his résumé on that link you posted he does have a nice career in audio - former firefighter engineering sound for Walt Disney and Broadway (coffee boy vibes) and teaching it at a 'university'. Full Sail Uni is something I'd never heard of either.

Old Post Oct-08-2020 18:02  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Midlothian Click here to Send Midlothian a Private Message Add Midlothian to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Midlothian
Reaping the percussions

I'll go back on topic.

Here's another 320er, taken from a DAT tape, I think. Including a few Platipii to keep Lews happy.

Sasha - Legacy @ The Manor, Ringwood, Bournemouth (6 June 1998)

quote:
Tracklist via mixesdb.com:

[000] Attaboy - Solid Space Business [Pagan - 019]
[000] The Priest vs Eddie Lock & SMC Project - Joker [Plastic Surgery - PS 030?]
[006] The Beloved - Ease The Pressure (Switchback Mix) [edit 5Dec21: Suction Mix]
[011] House Heroes - Magic Orgasm (ID Remix) [Twisted America]
[019] Desert - Lose It (To The Sound) [Twisted America - TW12-55524]
[026] Plantastik - Familamily [Kickin - KICK 72]
[032] Jimpy - What A Day
[037] Stoneproof - Everything's Not You (Quivver's Space Mix) [VC - RT 47]
[045] Fata Morgana - Bug Bear (PMT Naughty Children Mix) [Protea - PR007]
[052] PMT - Tequila Flange [Protea - PR005]
[058] Origin - Acushla [Steel Yard - SYW002]
[072] POB - Boiler (Humate Remix) [Platipus - PLAT39]
[078] Energy 52 - Cafe Del Mar '98 (Nalin & Kane Remix) [Hooj Choons - HOOJ 64F]
[083] Morgan King - I'm Free (William Orbit Mix) [Excession - XSN 006]
[093] Billy Hendrix - Body Shine [Hooj Choons - HOOJ 65]
[100] The Argonauts - Sommertag (Dub Mix) [Red Parrot - RPR010]
[105] The Argonauts - Sommertag (Main Mix) [Red Parrot - RPR010]
[109] Madonna - Ray Of Light (Sasha Twilo Mix) [Maverick - 9 44523-0]
[119] Humate - 3.1 (Humate's 98 Mix) [Platipus - PLAT47]
[124] Humate - 3.1 (Mijk Van Dijk Remix) [Platipus - PLAT47]
[129] Antic - Pulse [Jinx - JX-520]
[135] Joshua Ryan - Don't Look Back (Paul Grogan's Twister Mix) [Slinkey - SL004]
[139] Arrakis - Medusa (Part One) [Fluid - FLR 002]
[147] Paul Gaarn - Meteor Attack
[152] Amoeba Assassin - Rollercoaster (Oakeys Courtyard Mix) [Perfecto - PERF163T]
[160] Paul van Dyk - Avenue [Vandit Vandit - 001]
[167] Disco Citizens - Nagasaki Badger (Chicane Remix)
[174] Magic Alec Presents Resonance - Resonance (Goodfellos Mix)

It just struck me how many of our prog heroes used to play PvD - Avenue - Danny Howells, Nick Warren, Sasha and Digweed. I'm surprised at how surprised I was at the amount of trance records in these 98/99 sets from before the time the Brits could start blaming the Dutch for contaminating pumping dance music in order to get away from being earmarked as trance DJs.

Just yesterday I heard the original Saturday Mix of Bullet in the Gun in a 99 Nick Warren set. Madness!

Last edited by Midlothian on Dec-05-2021 at 17:55

Old Post Oct-08-2020 18:19  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Midlothian Click here to Send Midlothian a Private Message Add Midlothian to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lews
Platipus And Prog Addict

Interesting, I've only heard the second half of this set before, starting with 'Sommertag,' and I'm sure it had a different title.

The Manor looks like it was an interesting place; shame it was apparently demolished in 1999.

That's a pretty damned good set, all-in-all. Thanks for the share. Some pretty quality mixing from Sasha.

1997-1998 is probably my favourite years for Sasha and Digweed; just a great mix of house, prog, and trance.

Old Post Oct-12-2020 16:50 
Click Here to See the Profile for Lews Click here to Send Lews a Private Message Add Lews to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Midlothian
Reaping the percussions

The quality on this one isn't as brilliant as some of those 320 sets above, but there is some serious tuneage here. I just did a complete tracklist for this and I thought I might post it here in case of interest.

quote:
06. Bluefish – One (Main Mix) [Quad Communications]
07. Bluefish – One (Dub Mix) [Quad Communications]
08. Orbital – Nothing Left (Pariah Remix) [FFRR]
09. Orbital – Nothing Left (Breeder Remix) [FFRR]

I think Bluefish - One is one of the very best prog tracks from 1999 and those two Orbital remixes are some of Rowan Blades's very best work (with Gaëtan Schurrer and Simon Noble, that is). Nice M.I.K.E. track at the end, too - one of his best in my humble view, and perhaps underrated too what with all the attention his many other (trance) aliases got at the time.

01. Luzon – The Baguio Track (Full Igorot Vocal Mix) [Yoshitoshi Recordings]
02. Cevin Fisher – Music Saved My Life (Pete Heller’s Groovejet Moment Remix) [Sm: )le Communications]
03. Jean-Phillippe Aviance – Useless (Instrumental) [Subversive]
04. Christian Smith & John Selway – Move [Intec Records]
05. Breeder – Tyrantanic (Evolution Dub) [Rhythm Syndicate Records]
06. Bluefish – One (Main Mix) [Quad Communications]
07. Bluefish – One (Dub Mix) [Quad Communications]
08. Orbital – Nothing Left (Pariah Remix) [FFRR]
09. Orbital – Nothing Left (Breeder Remix) [FFRR]
10. POB Featuring DJ Patrick Reid – Blueblottle [Platipus]
11. Virtua Trancer – Third Sight [XTC]

Last edited by Midlothian on Oct-13-2020 at 19:22

Old Post Oct-13-2020 19:07  Netherlands
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

I've heard that one before. The quality is too poor for me to really want to listen to it, which is a shame as I do love the Evolution Dub of Tyrantanic, and it's rare to hear anyone play it.

I will work my way through the Sasha @ The Manor one. Not sure why Solid Space Business is listed on the tracklist though. Sounds like it starts with Joker.

quote:
Originally posted by Lews
1997-1998 is probably my favourite years for Sasha and Digweed; just a great mix of house, prog, and trance.

I think during 1997 in particular they were more varied. Some of the sets from '99 onwards, while undeniably great, are more homogenously "prog", which re-emerged as a self-contained style around then. In 1997 there's a sense that there weren't yet quite enough tunes around for them to play one style, so you get more Euro-trance, techno, breaks, house etc. thrown in.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Oct-14-2020 14:28  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list SYSTEM-J is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lews
Platipus And Prog Addict

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
I've heard that one before. The quality is too poor for me to really want to listen to it, which is a shame as I do love the Evolution Dub of Tyrantanic, and it's rare to hear anyone play it.

I've never found a way to mix-in the Dub in a way that I like.

Besides the awful sound quality of that set, it's not exactly Digweed's finest mixing. I'm tempted to re-record it all myself, though

quote:
I think during 1997 in particular they were more varied. Some of the sets from '99 onwards, while undeniably great, are more homogenously "prog", which re-emerged as a self-contained style around then. In 1997 there's a sense that there weren't yet quite enough tunes around for them to play one style, so you get more Euro-trance, techno, breaks, house etc. thrown in.

'97 was truly a perfect medium between the Epic House of '95 and the proggy prog of '99.

Old Post Oct-14-2020 17:48 
Click Here to See the Profile for Lews Click here to Send Lews a Private Message Add Lews to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Midlothian
Reaping the percussions

quote:
The quality is too poor

quote:
Besides the awful sound quality of that set, it's not exactly Digweed's finest mixing.

Fair points you demanding pair. This one is a little better - Digweed giving it the Satoshi treatment at Twilo in January 2001, broadcast on his Transitions show in September 2009. I am finding this one rather pleasant indeed.

01. Robert Owens / Danny Tenaglia - I'll Be Your Elements (PQM Mash-up) [Unreleased / white label]
02. The Hush Feat. Leah - Think (The Hush Vocal Mix) [Bedrock Records] (This version seems very slightly different from the released version of the Vocal Mix.)
03. Electric Tease - Your Lovin' (16B Remix) [Automatic Records]
04. Moby - South Side (Pete Heller Park Lane Vocal) [V2]
05. Stylus Trouble - Sputnik One [Junior London]
06. Bipath - Paranoize (Flip-Path) [Saw Recordings]
07. Madam - Penetration (Madam Vs. Bipath Flipped Dub) [Saw Recordings]
08. Madam - Penetration (Madam Vs. Bipath Main) [Saw Recordings]
09. Satoshi Tomiie Feat. Chara - Atari (Under-Path) [INCredible]
10. Satoshi Tomiie Feat. Kelli Ali - Love In Traffic (Satoshi Tomiie Dark-Path) [INCredible]

quote:
I'm tempted to re-record it all myself, though

Do it do it. I hope your rip/download of the Dub is of sufficient quality... The one I bought from Rhythm Syndicate is one of those shitty ones.

Old Post Oct-14-2020 20:27  Netherlands
Syntonic
Artcore Addict

quote:

I've enjoyed this set for quite some time, I like the way it starts out and it also made me realize how powerful "Planisphere - Deep Blue Dream" really is. Also, that transition between "Lies" and "Astrodancer" is really sweet, he used that combo in some other sets. The mixing is flawless and the hours just go by when listening.

It sounds like he chains the "Rob Rives & Francois K Prelude & Main Dish) mixes together because the twinkling sounds are longer in the beginning and that was only available on a 2xLP promo.

This set never came off as odd to me, just by the selections and transitions it's seems authentic.

I've been trying to listen to more mid-90's Sasha sets, where he had more variety in his sets (Trance, House, Techno, Breaks). Here's one I've listened to a few times over the summer:

[000] ID
[002] ID
[007] Garbage - Milk (Rabbit In The Moon Remix)
[015] ID
[020] Robert Miles - One and One (Morales Journey Mix)
[029] Van Basten - Instinct
[034] Cruzeman - Aum-Sessions
[042] ID
[046] Van Basten ‎– Speed Of Sound
[056] Amorph - Elaminoid
[062] Mikerobenics - Julika (Pascal FEOS Remix)
[069] ID
[076] ID
[083] ID
[089] Liquid Art - Xplorer
[095] DeNiro - Elan Vital
[100] Blue Alphabet - Timetable (Shades Of Tears EP)
[107] Front 242 - Happiness (Underworld Mix)
[113] MikeroBenics - Julika (Comes Too Late Mix)
[121] Dawntreader - Dominion (Red Room Mix)
[125] Liquid Art - Liquid Art (Remix)
[131] Fireball - Breathless
[141] Arkarna - House On Fire (Andy Ling Aryan Vocal Mix)
[152] Paganini Traxx - Zoe (Original Mix)
[161] Little Jam - Black Hill
[165] Jayn Hanna - Lost Without You (Evolution's 'Lost In Sound' Dub)
[171] Jayn Hanna - Lost Without You (Edge Factor Journey)
[179] Chicane - Offshore (Disco Citizens Remix)

Old & New Electronic Music Channel
Soundcloud Mixes

Last edited by Syntonic on Oct-18-2020 at 07:34

Old Post Oct-18-2020 05:07  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Syntonic Click here to Send Syntonic a Private Message Add Syntonic to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Midlothian
Reaping the percussions

quote:
This is a surprisingly good set. Thought it would be similar to the Moscow set, but wow. Didn't know old Blades was up to that sort of thing. Good share.

I just found that there is an massive archive of recordings from the DNA Lounge from 2001 to the present day here on archive.org, including this Rowan Blades one and the Anthony Pappa one. I ended up there looking for a recording with Jerry Bonham and Spesh; I haven't checked whether there are other interesting sets. (The recordings don't seem to be in 320 though.)

At least the lineup for the event with Blades is confirmed.

Edit: also Chris Fortier and Ian Ossia but apart from those not a lot of prog as far as I can see.

Last edited by Midlothian on Oct-18-2020 at 12:57

Old Post Oct-18-2020 12:44  Netherlands
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

quote:
Originally posted by Midlothian
I'll go back on topic.

Here's another 320er, taken from a DAT tape, I think. Including a few Platipii to keep Lews happy.

Sasha - Legacy @ The Manor, Ringwood, Bournemouth (6 June 1998)

Finally chewed my way through this one. No complaints about the mixing being functional here - it's absolutely top notch all the way through and the way the set builds up is superb. Shades of Nick Warren's GU Brazil CD1 in the first hour, then the middle section has a lot of similarities with Sasha's Essential Mix from Creamfields that summer. My only complaint is there's a couple of cheesy trance duffers on the back nine. That "Meteor Attack" tune in particular is a load of old shite.

Old Post Oct-27-2020 20:24  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list SYSTEM-J is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Midlothian
Reaping the percussions

Shame having to bump this thread from page three.
Do any of you lads happen to know track 3 of this one?

It's a decent set in good quality, just the radio jingles are exceedingly annoying and they come often.

Old Post Mar-19-2021 17:42  Netherlands
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

As a general rule, if you don't know a classic prog ID, neither will I.

I'm going to contribute to my own thread, because I've been particularly impressed this morning by this set from Anthony Pappa. The tracklist is absolutely stacked, and the mixing is very impressive:

01. Quivver - She Does
02. The Chemical Brothers - Out Of Control (Sasha Remix)
03. K-System - Islyngyouwiener
04. Smith & Selway - Move
05. Der Dritte Raum - Hale Bopp (Jackdaw Remix)
06. BT - Mercury And Solace
07. Oliver Moldan - My Destiny (Vincent's New Life Vocal Remix)
08. Timo Maas - Eclipse
09. ID
10. Jark Prongo - Shake It (Club 69 Trance Remix)
11. Bedrock - Heaven Scent (Original Mix)
12. Blue Amazon - And When The Rain Falls (Ocean Wave Remix)
13. Planisphere - Deep Blue Dream
14. Ambassador - The Fade (Oliver Lieb Remix)
15. Liquid Soul - Hypnotic Energy (Symphonix Remix)
16. Expansion - Feel
17. Libra - Calling Your Name
18. Satoshi Tomiie Feat. Kelli Ali - Up In Flames
19. Ecano - Run
20. Mara - Fall From Grace
21. ID
22. Faithless - Why Go? (Faithless Mix 2)

Old Post Mar-25-2021 11:38  England

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Recommend: pumping classic prog/trance mixes
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (12): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackRvdBeuken - HQ Radio FreshFM - 02-09-2004 [2004] [1]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackUnderworld - Dark & Long (Dark Train mix) [2002]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread