Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Nashville, TN Christmas bombing
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
JEO
Supreme tranceaddict

Re: Nashville, TN Christmas bombing

quote:
Originally posted by Zoso
This is not something you associate with life in TN.

I just couldn't sleep last night thinking of this, as this is exactly something I associate with life in the US. I started wondering if maybe I've just been Euro-washed about the US being, on average, a much more murderous place than for example this pseudo-European, ass-backwards, violent, incest-laden alcoholic country I live in. Our homicide rate is something between 1.1 and 1.4 per 100 000 inhabitants, which, compared to the better parts of the EU, basically means people are getting murdered left and right, day and night. I thought we surely must be up there with you guys when it comes to homicide.

After minimal Googling on the subject, I see that the homicide rate in Tennessee, for example, is 7.4 per 100 000 inhabitants (the latest rate for Louisiana I could find is 11.4!). I of course expected it to be higher than here, but I was thinking more along the lines of 2 - 2.5 per 100 000. The said rate for the whole of the USA is 5.0, compared to 1.7 in the EU.

Is this real or am I missing something crucial here? There must be some significant differences in how a death is classified as a homicide between here and there or something, because 7.4 per 100 000 seems wild; it's 9.2 in Russia, a real shithole by many people's standards. Although I don't know if they've taken into account the rampant corruption and people "accidentally falling out of windows" in Russia, so the actual rate might be higher. Either way.. Your number is terrifyingly comparable to that of Russia.

Old Post Dec-31-2020 15:23  Finland
Click Here to See the Profile for JEO Click here to Send JEO a Private Message Add JEO to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Ted Promo
NWO WOLFPACK INSANE

Many people here need to be killed.

Old Post Dec-31-2020 15:25 
Click Here to See the Profile for Ted Promo Click here to Send Ted Promo a Private Message Add Ted Promo to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Zoso
Banging Gangs!

Re: Re: Nashville, TN Christmas bombing

quote:
Originally posted by JEO
I just couldn't sleep last night thinking of this, as this is exactly something I associate with life in the US. I started wondering if maybe I've just been Euro-washed about the US being, on average, a much more murderous place than for example this pseudo-European, ass-backwards, violent, incest-laden alcoholic country I live in. Our homicide rate is something between 1.1 and 1.4 per 100 000 inhabitants, which, compared to the better parts of the EU, basically means people are getting murdered left and right, day and night. I thought we surely must be up there with you guys when it comes to homicide.

After minimal Googling on the subject, I see that the homicide rate in Tennessee, for example, is 7.4 per 100 000 inhabitants (the latest rate for Louisiana I could find is 11.4!). I of course expected it to be higher than here, but I was thinking more along the lines of 2 - 2.5 per 100 000. The said rate for the whole of the USA is 5.0, compared to 1.7 in the EU.

Is this real or am I missing something crucial here? There must be some significant differences in how a death is classified as a homicide between here and there or something, because 7.4 per 100 000 seems wild; it's 9.2 in Russia, a real shithole by many people's standards. Although I don't know if they've taken into account the rampant corruption and people "accidentally falling out of windows" in Russia, so the actual rate might be higher. Either way.. Your number is terrifyingly comparable to that of Russia.

I am going to preface this by stating up front, loud and clear: I have NOT researched the statistics.

Anecdotally speaking, I can tell you that owning firearms, especially in the Southeast, is a "god given right" akin to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, etc. Jesus (I don't mean the dark skinned, Middle Eastern, devout Jewish Jesus, I mean the white, Sunday school picture Jesus with the long, flowing, golden locks) is, as we all know (in the US, at least), a card-carrying NRA member who owns multiple types of firearms and always votes Republican. So you start out with a large number of the population owning at least one firearm, probably even more.

Another god given right in the Southeast, especially the even remotely rural areas, is the prevalence of hunting game. Now, we have different types of weapons allowed (e.g., there is a bow season for white tailed deer, where any deer taken must be killed with a bow and arrow, etc.), but for the most part everyone is all about the "big gun" portion of the season. Big gun meaning a modern, high-powered rifle and not a muzzle loading weapon.

Some people also simply enjoy target shooting. I live in the middle of damned nowhere, and there is a shooting range a few miles from my home.

So, yeah, for various reasons you got a shit fuck ton of firearms out there. Guns increase the likelihood of a homicide in a domestic dispute situation, for example. They probably also increase the likelihood of a homicide in any situation that escalates quickly. I know that the largest metropolitan areas (Nashville, Memphis, and Knoxville) are, some years, notorious for their homicide rates. Again, I have not researched the official numbers, but I would imagine those 3 population centers alone skew the stats somewhat, and would make it appear that people in every city/town in TN are just murdering the shit out of each other. But to be honest, having lived here for 44 years, there have only been a handful of times I could say I was in a situation where I actually felt like I could be in danger. And those times would be when I found myself in some of the seedier inner-city, run down areas of Nashville and Chattanooga.

Old Post Dec-31-2020 15:53  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Zoso Click here to Send Zoso a Private Message Add Zoso to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
planetaryplayer
Surpeme traineanddict

quote:
Originally posted by Ted Promo
Many people here need to be killed.

c0r???

Old Post Dec-31-2020 20:58  Norfolk Island
Click Here to See the Profile for planetaryplayer Click here to Send planetaryplayer a Private Message Add planetaryplayer to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
planetaryplayer
Surpeme traineanddict

Re: Re: Re: Nashville, TN Christmas bombing

quote:
I am going to preface this by stating up front, loud and clear: I have NOT researched the statistics.

Anecdotally speaking, I can tell you that owning firearms, especially in the Southeast, is a "god given right" akin to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, etc. Jesus (I don't mean the dark skinned, Middle Eastern, devout Jewish Jesus, I mean the white, Sunday school picture Jesus with the long, flowing, golden locks) is, as we all know (in the US, at least), a card-carrying NRA member who owns multiple types of firearms and always votes Republican. So you start out with a large number of the population owning at least one firearm, probably even more.

Another god given right in the Southeast, especially the even remotely rural areas, is the prevalence of hunting game. Now, we have different types of weapons allowed (e.g., there is a bow season for white tailed deer, where any deer taken must be killed with a bow and arrow, etc.), but for the most part everyone is all about the "big gun" portion of the season. Big gun meaning a modern, high-powered rifle and not a muzzle loading weapon.

Some people also simply enjoy target shooting. I live in the middle of damned nowhere, and there is a shooting range a few miles from my home.

So, yeah, for various reasons you got a shit fuck ton of firearms out there. Guns increase the likelihood of a homicide in a domestic dispute situation, for example. They probably also increase the likelihood of a homicide in any situation that escalates quickly. I know that the largest metropolitan areas (Nashville, Memphis, and Knoxville) are, some years, notorious for their homicide rates. Again, I have not researched the official numbers, but I would imagine those 3 population centers alone skew the stats somewhat, and would make it appear that people in every city/town in TN are just murdering the shit out of each other. But to be honest, having lived here for 44 years, there have only been a handful of times I could say I was in a situation where I actually felt like I could be in danger. And those times would be when I found myself in some of the seedier inner-city, run down areas of Nashville and Chattanooga.

i often think about a scenario where crossing the boarder to go shopping in a mall can have me end up in a wild west shoot out. I'm going to write that into my movie script

Old Post Dec-31-2020 21:10  Norfolk Island
Click Here to See the Profile for planetaryplayer Click here to Send planetaryplayer a Private Message Add planetaryplayer to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Zoso
Banging Gangs!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Nashville, TN Christmas bombing

quote:
Originally posted by planetaryplayer
i often think about a scenario where crossing the boarder to go shopping in a mall can have me end up in a wild west shoot out. I'm going to write that into my movie script

Your ideas intrigue me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Old Post Dec-31-2020 21:17  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Zoso Click here to Send Zoso a Private Message Add Zoso to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Ted Promo
NWO WOLFPACK INSANE

quote:
Originally posted by planetaryplayer
c0r???

There, too.

Old Post Dec-31-2020 21:41 
Click Here to See the Profile for Ted Promo Click here to Send Ted Promo a Private Message Add Ted Promo to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
JEO
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:

I was going to compare our gun numbers, but it's quite hard to find any good statistics on the actual amount of firearms in Tennessee, as registering firearms doesn't seem to be mandatory. I did find an estimate of around 50% of adults in Tennessee "living in a household with firearms". This doesn't say much to me as I'm under the impression that people there can live with their parents until they're 25 or something similar.

In 2007 Finland had the third highest gun ownership in the whole world. We were right behind you and Yemen. Yet our homicide rate was "only" at 2.2-2.5 at that time; an abominable number, nonetheless. I don't think the high number was only because of high gun ownership, since the majority of all homicides was committed using a knife of some sort, and still is. Guns are still a suicider favorite though.

Still today there are more than 1.5 million registered and, by estimates, 250 000 unregistered firearms* here, so I'd say we're within a ballpark of each other regarding the number of firearms per capita. There are three outdoors shooting ranges within 10 km of where I'm now, and it hasn't been so long since I last saw a reactivated AK-74 drunkenly being passed from guest to guest at a friend's house as a curiosity piece, while the host pours mint vodka shots to everyone, wearing a bullet-proof vest himself. When I visited an old co-worker for the first time, he first proceeded to show me his guns and almost immediately wanted me to test-fire the two suppressors he had made himself. It isn't totally weird to take out a .22 during a sauna break to shoot at the beer cans that were emptied during the last round. For a lot of people at these heights, hunting is what they live for. They save their summer vacation days to be used during the various hunting seasons. No one in my family has hunted in two decades, and still there are three guns meant solely for hunting at our cabin.

There are still a lot of guns here, yet somehow our homicide rates are quite different. Between Finland and Louisiana, two entities comparable by their population sizes, the rates are an order of magnitude apart. I don't know what explains the high homicide rates there, but I don't think it's only the abundance of guns.

It's weird to think that I've spent considerable chunks of my time in various parts of Eastern European cities that are considered dangerous, yet statistically, I was never in as great of a danger that I would be in if I were to go to, say, Missouri.

*I haven't actually seen very many unregistered guns, and people don't usually announce when a firearm of theirs is unregistered or illegal, but you can usually tell from where the gun is stored in the house or simply by what type of gun it is and if any law would actually permit them having one.

Old Post Jan-01-2021 01:14  Finland
Click Here to See the Profile for JEO Click here to Send JEO a Private Message Add JEO to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
kolakao
tranceaddict

think about it differently. imagine that you have wall street and big tech corponuts in your country - you would like to have right to have gun.

Old Post Jan-01-2021 15:38  Poland
Click Here to See the Profile for kolakao Click here to Send kolakao a Private Message Add kolakao to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
planetaryplayer
Surpeme traineanddict

quote:
Originally posted by kolakao
you would like to have right to have gun.

Very nice! How machh?

Old Post Jan-01-2021 17:56  Norfolk Island

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Nashville, TN Christmas bombing
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackPlease Id This Killer-tune!!! #5 [2004] [5]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackStar Ocean - "Bitter Dance" [2004]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread