Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > So, who's into graphic novels? I need recommendations.
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Lira
Ancient BassAddict

So, who's into graphic novels? I need recommendations.

I want to buy a birthday present to a friend of mine today. I meant to give him a book (he had just entered grad school last year, so I gave him Kuhn's Structure for his previous birthday, which he says he liked). Being good friends with him, I didn't mind asking whether he wanted yet another book on science, but he said "as long as it's a comic book, it's all right". The problem is that I know next to nothing about comic books (I read just one comic book this decade, and that's because it was given to me as a present, and I felt obliged to read it). Here's some info on him:

• I know he thoroughly enjoyed "Watchmen", and liked a comic book in which all male creatures died and only the females survived (I can't remember what it's called);

• He plays rpg and, yes, he's well aware of the fact that he's an all-around nerd (studied physics as an undergraduate, and is now a grad student of psychology), and is proud of it;

• He's a devout Christian;

• He browses that site I cannot mention due to laws #1 and #2.

Ideas? He outnerds me in such a manner that I don't even know where to begin

Last edited by Lira on Sep-26-2009 at 16:49

Old Post Sep-26-2009 16:23  Brazil
Click Here to See the Profile for Lira Click here to Send Lira a Private Message Visit Lira's homepage! Add Lira to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
kadomony
FRENCH EXPRESS

pokeymans

Old Post Sep-26-2009 16:37  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for kadomony Click here to Send kadomony a Private Message Visit kadomony's homepage! Add kadomony to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lira
Ancient BassAddict

quote:
Originally posted by kadomony
pokeymans

Yes, he does like mudkips. But I want to get him something more adult... and by that I don't mean "Pokeypr0n"

Old Post Sep-26-2009 16:43  Brazil
Click Here to See the Profile for Lira Click here to Send Lira a Private Message Visit Lira's homepage! Add Lira to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
bas
Stronger Lover

If you're looking for a graphic novel, check out The Surrogates. I haven't read it yet but it seems pretty sweet, I kinda wanna read it before the movie comes out.

I was really interested in the story of that Whiteout movie, I wanted to know what the big secret was because I probably wasn't going to watch it. Turns out it was also a graphic novel, clicky

Old Post Sep-26-2009 16:47  Egypt
Click Here to See the Profile for bas Click here to Send bas a Private Message Visit bas's homepage! Add bas to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Cloudburst
I am the maximum

Isn't V for vendetta a comic too?

insignificant cor member alliance

Old Post Sep-26-2009 16:50  Finland
Click Here to See the Profile for Cloudburst Click here to Send Cloudburst a Private Message Visit Cloudburst's homepage! Add Cloudburst to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lira
Ancient BassAddict

I imagine he's probably read V for Vendetta... it's too popular.
quote:
Originally posted by bas
If you're looking for a graphic novel, check out The Surrogates. I haven't read it yet but it seems pretty sweet, I kinda wanna read it before the movie comes out.

I was really interested in the story of that Whiteout movie, I wanted to know what the big secret was because I probably wasn't going to watch it. Turns out it was also a graphic novel, clicky

Yes, that's exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for. Thanks for the recommendations, Bas

Old Post Sep-26-2009 16:51  Brazil
infinity HiGH
groovin

quote:
Originally posted by bas

The movie is already out and it's crap. If I were you I wouldn't waste the time and money seeing it in theatres.

Old Post Sep-26-2009 17:43  Poland
Click Here to See the Profile for infinity HiGH Click here to Send infinity HiGH a Private Message Add infinity HiGH to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
bas
Stronger Lover

quote:
Originally posted by infinity HiGH
The movie is already out and it's crap. If I were you I wouldn't waste the time and money seeing it in theatres.

Surrogates or Whiteout? Surrogates looks promising, but the pg13 ratign is probably going to gay it up big time

Old Post Sep-26-2009 17:57  Egypt
Click Here to See the Profile for bas Click here to Send bas a Private Message Visit bas's homepage! Add bas to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
bARTovsky
Supreme tranceaddict

Preacher <-- click

One of the greatest series I have ever read. (though, if he's a devout christian they might be a tad offensive to him)

Also, digging this one right now:

100 Bullets <-- click

Old Post Sep-26-2009 18:04  India
Click Here to See the Profile for bARTovsky Click here to Send bARTovsky a Private Message Add bARTovsky to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
bas
Stronger Lover

Oh yeah, Preacher! That is badass.

Old Post Sep-26-2009 18:05  Egypt
wotyzoid
it's not house

Anything by Alan Moore. ie:

V for Vendetta
The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen
From Hell

Old Post Sep-26-2009 18:18  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for wotyzoid Click here to Send wotyzoid a Private Message Add wotyzoid to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
jupiterone
housin' guide

check out the graphic novel called DMZ by Brian Wood and Riccardo Burchielli

"set in a wartorn very near future NYC, US residents have bought into Iraq style Gorilla warfare and have overrun much of the US, following a rookie journalist abandoned in the city after a failed insersion, its his life and reports of the city and its residents, from the ground up, of the survival and the life that ensues from the love life of a AWOL Specops sniper, to the inner workings of a rooftop vegan resteraunt, to gig reviews and anatomys of street gunbattles, all very real and all very hard - hits hard and home for someone working in a news organisation whos friends do this on a daily basis in citys from Bagdad to Kabul"

Old Post Sep-26-2009 18:19  Poland
Click Here to See the Profile for jupiterone Click here to Send jupiterone a Private Message Add jupiterone to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > So, who's into graphic novels? I need recommendations.
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackPraga Khan - Luv U Still (Pragamatic Album Mix) [Dance Opera] [DO 516 R] [2006] [2]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackE-Craig - "Drum Beats" (Hard Beats Mix) [2004]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread