Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Other > Political Discussion / Debate > 6 months from the largest tax increases in history
Pages (12): « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
occrider
Traveladdict

quote:
Originally posted by Shakka
speaking of taxes...

who cares, right? Better get that SCOTUS stacked the other way fast!

So what are the tax increases going to be? I refuse to believe that conservative groups have not calculated this for each tax bracket ... how are my taxes going to be impacted???

Old Post Jul-20-2010 08:46  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for occrider Click here to Send occrider a Private Message Add occrider to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Shakka
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by occrider
So what are the tax increases going to be? I refuse to believe that conservative groups have not calculated this for each tax bracket ... how are my taxes going to be impacted???

You're going to pay more.

Old Post Jul-20-2010 11:38  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Shakka Click here to Send Shakka a Private Message Add Shakka to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
occrider
Traveladdict

quote:
You're going to pay more.

Well ... how much more? Is there some handy calculator based on income bracket? I mean why unnecessarily frighten people by telling them their taxes are going up without telling them how much it's going up?

Unless it's purely a political ploy of course ...

Old Post Jul-22-2010 05:35  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for occrider Click here to Send occrider a Private Message Add occrider to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Moongoose
Supreme tranceaddict

Ive been looking for an excuse to post this one for a while now.

And as always the hype over this got way out of hand. People make it seem like they are going to be taxed twice as much as they were before.

Old Post Jul-22-2010 08:39  Slovenia
Click Here to See the Profile for Moongoose Click here to Send Moongoose a Private Message Add Moongoose to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Shakka
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by occrider
Well ... how much more? Is there some handy calculator based on income bracket? I mean why unnecessarily frighten people by telling them their taxes are going up without telling them how much it's going up?

Unless it's purely a political ploy of course ...

I primarily focus on the trend, not the level. Government is out of control. I was absolutely shocked to see them invest taxpayer money through GM to buy a subprime auto lending company today. Washington is both shameless and clueless right now.

Old Post Jul-22-2010 13:37  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Shakka Click here to Send Shakka a Private Message Add Shakka to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lebezniatnikov
Stupidity Annoys Me

Let's just get rid of taxes altogether for a little while. I'm sure that will stimulate demand and be totally fiscally responsible.

The Bush tax cuts were fiscally dangerous to begin with, and never should have been extended. It's a political unviable position to cut taxes short-term, as inevitably when it comes time for the cuts to expire you have jackasses yelling "they're raising muh taxes!" when they finally do.

Conservatives have to realize that there are tough choices to be made when balancing the budget. Vague maxims about cutting spending and revenue and making magic math doesn't cut it - we've all heard the rhetoric. You need actual policies now.

As an example, try playing around with this:
http://crfb.org/stabilizethedebt/#

In an extremely unscientific sample of friends in a public policy program, only a handful of liberals were able to balance the budget on their first try. This is anecdotal, but combined with the type of noise you see from conservative blogs and editorials, I have yet to see conservatives stand behind a proposal that really gets there. Rep. Ryan tried, and was marginalized by his own caucus for it.

Old Post Jul-22-2010 14:02  United Nations
Click Here to See the Profile for Lebezniatnikov Click here to Send Lebezniatnikov a Private Message Add Lebezniatnikov to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Shakka
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Lebezniatnikov
Let's just get rid of taxes altogether for a little while. I'm sure that will stimulate demand and be totally fiscally responsible.

Well certainly not all, but there is an argument to be made for giving that 70% of the economy a little more high-multiplier fuel to help stimulate demand. There is an argument to reduce burdens on the small businesses that create jobs so that they might hire more. The problem is the other half of America just assumes it's a gift to rich people and therefore bad. It is certainly no more fiscally irresponsible than spending a few trillion dollars of money that doesn't exist. The only entity that is making any hires is Uncle Sam and that's a potentially vicious cycle.

quote:
The Bush tax cuts were fiscally dangerous to begin with, and never should have been extended. It's a political unviable position to cut taxes short-term, as inevitably when it comes time for the cuts to expire you have jackasses yelling "they're raising muh taxes!" when they finally do.

Well, they are. Money and wealth are not created by the government. When a person gets to keep less of his/her own hard-earned money, it is an increase in their tax burden. I don't care where it comes from. You'd think we're all so blessed that our government lets us keep any of our own money at all! Jesus.

quote:
Conservatives have to realize that there are tough choices to be made when balancing the budget. Vague maxims about cutting spending and revenue and making magic math doesn't cut it - we've all heard the rhetoric. You need actual policies now.

So how about some actual policies that CUT spending? You can't balance a budget by massively increasing spending while you have a soft economy and high unemployment. It's a witches brew for higher deficits.

Old Post Jul-22-2010 15:19  United States
Lebezniatnikov
Stupidity Annoys Me

quote:
Well certainly not all, but there is an argument to be made for giving that 70% of the economy a little more high-multiplier fuel to help stimulate demand. There is an argument to reduce burdens on the small businesses that create jobs so that they might hire more.

The problem is that this argument has never translated well into policy outcomes. Bush's tax cuts in 2002 barely budged output numbers - in fact, it resulted in a much larger loss in income than any boost in GDP:

quote:
"The new CBO data show that changes in law enacted since January 2001 increased the deficit by $539 billion in 2005. In the absence of such legislation, the nation would have a surplus this year. Tax cuts account for almost half — 48 percent — of this $539 billion in increased costs." How about the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget? Their budget calculator shows that the tax cuts will cost $3.28 trillion between 2011 and 2018. How about George W. Bush's CEA chair, Greg Mankiw, who used the term "charlatans and cranks" for people who believed that "broad-based income tax cuts would have such large supply-side effects that the tax cuts would raise tax revenue." He continued: "I did not find such a claim credible, based on the available evidence. I never have, and I still don't."

There is some stimulative affect from tax cuts. They increase economic activity somewhat, and that means there's somewhat more taxable revenue for the government to pick up. But not much. Not nearly enough to cancel out the cost of a tax cut. It's important to remember that the Laffer Curve is actually a curve. You can no more drop taxes to 1 percent and make up the difference in revenue than you could increases taxes to 100 percent and sustain enough economic activity to fund the government. You'll recall that the last time we saw budget surpluses was under Clinton -- and higher taxes.

Further, if tax cuts don't need to be paid for because they generate so much taxable economic activity that they pay for themselves, then neither do unemployment checks. After all, the two work very similarly: A tax cut puts more money in your pocket. Unemployment insurance puts more money in an unemployed person's pocket. The difference is that the unemployed person is likelier to spend that money, which will generate more taxable economic activity than if that money is saved. That's why Mark Zandi, an adviser to John McCain's presidential campaign, estimated (pdf) that a dollar spent extending the Bush tax cuts would generate .32 cents of taxable economic activity, while a dollar spent on unemployment benefits would generate $1.61 of taxable economic activity.

In other words, using the theory under which tax cuts pay for themselves, unemployment benefits are a lot likelier to pay for themselves. But John Cornyn, another member of the GOP's Senate leadership, hasn't run the numbers. "I think the urgency of deficit-neutral extension of unemployment insurance has increased because of the size of the deficit and the size of the debt," he said. It's enough to make you very, very sad.

Sources:
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/ez...e_whatsoev.html
http://www.cbpp.org/cms/?fa=view&id=966
http://crfb.org/stabilizethedebt/
http://gregmankiw.blogspot.com/2010...ack-on-gop.html
http://www.economy.com/mark-zandi/d...ance-041410.pdf

quote:
The problem is the other half of America just assumes it's a gift to rich people and therefore bad. It is certainly no more fiscally irresponsible than spending a few trillion dollars of money that doesn't exist. The only entity that is making any hires is Uncle Sam and that's a potentially vicious cycle.

Why reduce revenue by $1 for a 32 cent increase in production? It's horrible policy, and really does represent a handout to the rich!

quote:
Well, they are. Money and wealth are not created by the government. When a person gets to keep less of his/her own hard-earned money, it is an increase in their tax burden. I don't care where it comes from. You'd think we're all so blessed that our government lets us keep any of our own money at all! Jesus.

I'm not sure what the second part of your paragraph is driving at - nobody has advocated 100% taxation. The Laffer curve suggests that financial solvency doesn't exist at either extreme, which is why liberals have advocated for responsible tax policy - the sunset of the Bush tax cuts is included in that. A 39% top marginal rate is not out of control - in fact, it could be very healthy fiscally.

But if you truly believe that wealth in the hands of individuals can create higher returns than government, why not advocate for greater unemployment benefits? Even Zandi (see article above) points out that the returns on that investment are four times what decreasing taxes on the wealthy would be. Seems like a sound conservative position to me.

quote:
So how about some actual policies that CUT spending? You can't balance a budget by massively increasing spending while you have a soft economy and high unemployment. It's a witches brew for higher deficits.

Well, for starters, cap and trade. Energy reform could stimulate the economy immensely and encourage innovation in the private sector. By some estimates there is nearly 2 trillion to be made in clean energy development over the next ten years, if only Congress grows a pair.

Medicare reform, troop reduction in Iraq and Afghanistan, and progressively reducing Social Security benefits while protecting low earners would also be a great place to start. I'm not against looking at tort reform either. There are a lot of ways to cut the budget that both sides should be able to get together on.

Old Post Jul-22-2010 17:03  United Nations
Click Here to See the Profile for Lebezniatnikov Click here to Send Lebezniatnikov a Private Message Add Lebezniatnikov to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Shakka
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Lebezniatnikov

Why reduce revenue by $1 for a 32 cent increase in production? It's horrible policy, and really does represent a handout to the rich!

Handout? I don't view someone keeping the fruits of their labor as a handout. I view taking more of it from them as government sanctioned extortion.

You do realize that there have been diminishing returns on every dollar of debt issued since the 1970s, right? There are even some who argue the multiplier has turned negative at this point --i.e. we are in the liquidity trap.

quote:

In the beginning, each dollar of debt brought about a corresponding dollar of increase in GDP. But that early money was invested in houses and in the means of production, which helped grow the economy. As time went on, and especially after the '80s, more and more of the debt was used for consumption (of which much has come to be from foreign sources) and not for the increase of productive capacity. Toward the end, it took $3 of debt to create a $1 rise in GDP in the US. And now, each $1 rise in debt is government debt, which some research (not neo-Keynesian Paul Krugman's!) says has a slightly negative multiplier - it actually hurts GDP.

And it is not just the US. Take a look at the chart of G-7 debt (courtesy of GMO, more about which later). That is one ugly and unsustainable chart. In 1950 the G7 countries were recovering from very large war-time debts. Now we don't have that excuse. Nor do we have the option of doing what they did. They cut military spending, inflated a little in nominal terms, and grew their way out of the problem.

http://www.frontlinethoughts.com/ar...sp?id=mwo071710

quote:
I'm not sure what the second part of your paragraph is driving at - nobody has advocated 100% taxation. The Laffer curve suggests that financial solvency doesn't exist at either extreme, which is why liberals have advocated for responsible tax policy - the sunset of the Bush tax cuts is included in that. A 39% top marginal rate is not out of control - in fact, it could be very healthy fiscally.

What a subjective bunch of nonsense.

quote:
But if you truly believe that wealth in the hands of individuals can create higher returns than government, why not advocate for greater unemployment benefits? Even Zandi (see article above) points out that the returns on that investment are four times what decreasing taxes on the wealthy would be. Seems like a sound conservative position to me.

Well I'm sure even you would agree that 99 weeks of unemployment insurance is already more than enough, and is a disincentive to find gainful employment.

quote:
Well, for starters, cap and trade. Energy reform could stimulate the economy immensely and encourage innovation in the private sector. By some estimates there is nearly 2 trillion to be made in clean energy development over the next ten years, if only Congress grows a pair.

Cap and tax is not going to happen whether I think it is right or wrong. There will not be a powerful enough majority in either house to make meaningful progress on it by the time any proposal makes it to the floor. It's hardly worth debating at this point.

Old Post Jul-22-2010 19:21  United States
Lebezniatnikov
Stupidity Annoys Me

quote:

http://www.frontlinethoughts.com/ar...sp?id=mwo071710

Well the point of that article seems to be that how the money is used is the primary determinant of its impact on GDP - I'm all for infrastructure spending, but I don't think we need to schedule permanent deficits to do it.

quote:
What a subjective bunch of nonsense.

Not really - reference Moongoose's graph from earlier. Conservatives often forget that it was H.W. Bush that raised taxes after Reagan demolished government revenue and inflated the deficit.

quote:
Well I'm sure even you would agree that 99 weeks of unemployment insurance is already more than enough, and is a disincentive to find gainful employment.

I don't know anybody on 99 weeks' unemployment insurance. Also, I find it a little bit odd that you're blaming the unemployed for not looking hard enough. Do you know any firms hiring right now? I thought we are all still pissed at Obama for the latest jobs numbers? How can we blame workers when companies aren't hiring? The disincentive stuff I find to be really a strange argument.

quote:
Cap and tax is not going to happen whether I think it is right or wrong. There will not be a powerful enough majority in either house to make meaningful progress on it by the time any proposal makes it to the floor. It's hardly worth debating at this point.

It's not going to happen right now, yes, but I was merely throwing out policy proposals that would reduce the deficit. I think it deserves a look, and it is unfortunate that it won't get as close a look as it probably deserves, but at least it's a policy proposal.

Old Post Jul-22-2010 20:57  United Nations
Comrade Stalin
Uncle Joe

quote:
Originally posted by Moongoose
Ive been looking for an excuse to post this one for a while now.

[img]http://www.shrani.si/f/s/8I/2MEJ4LSm/taxes.jpg[img]

And as always the hype over this got way out of hand. People make it seem like they are going to be taxed twice as much as they were before.

Yea, taxes are merely going back to what they were during the Clinton years, and that saw the greatest economic expansion in United States history. People need to chill out.

Old Post Jul-22-2010 21:25 
Click Here to See the Profile for Comrade Stalin Click here to Send Comrade Stalin a Private Message Add Comrade Stalin to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Shakka
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Stalin
Yea, taxes are merely going back to what they were during the Clinton years, and that saw the greatest economic expansion in United States history. People need to chill out.

The 90's were a pretty unique period characterized by the coming of the internet/digital age and associated massive productivity boom. Tax levels had little to do with it and are a red herring if you ask me. The wealth effect that resulted from so many dot.coms cum dot.bombs enabled some amazing things to happen to boot. If you think that scenario is repeatable today, I'd love to hear how you think it's likely to play out, particularly considering were were in a secular bull market then vs. a secular bear market now.

Old Post Jul-23-2010 02:31  United States

TranceAddict Forums > Other > Political Discussion / Debate > 6 months from the largest tax increases in history
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (12): « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackAnyone know this tune from sensation 2007 belgium DVD? [2007] [3]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackSensation - Sensation White 2005 (Die Hymne) [2005]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread