Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > The Dark Knight Rises
Pages (30): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
EddieZilker
This is the dance.

quote:
Originally posted by srussell0018
You seriously think Transformers means anything at all? The only meaning at all is from the ridiculous Optimus Prime monologue at the end of the movies. You know a movie is completely devoid of any artistic or metaphorical meaning when they actually have to explicitly tell you what it is at the end.

You watched Transformers until the end! *points*

Now with extra singles!
my old stuff, not quite up to snuff - but I still dig it - UPDATED 9/23/2012

Old Post May-02-2012 22:21  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for EddieZilker Click here to Send EddieZilker a Private Message Visit EddieZilker's homepage! Add EddieZilker to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
srussell0018
Chaostician

Of course I did! This is America!

Old Post May-02-2012 22:22  Ireland
Click Here to See the Profile for srussell0018 Click here to Send srussell0018 a Private Message Add srussell0018 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
GoSpeedGo!
no more Mr. Nice Guy

quote:
You seriously think Transformers means anything at all? The only meaning at all is from the ridiculous Optimus Prime monologue at the end of the movies. You know a movie is completely devoid of any artistic or metaphorical meaning when they actually have to explicitly tell you what it is at the end.

I don't know if we're talking about the same "meaning". You're probably talking about some kind of a Message that the film's supposed to have. I'm talking about series of meanings that are ascribed to single elements of the film and about meanings that stem from interactions of these elements.

Like, you can't deny that there are "racial stereotype" robots in Transformers. Or that in the last one, the film equates Rosie Huntington with a car and than a dog. In other words, the film is self-consciously misogynistic (and probably also misanthropic). Not to mention the whole conspiracy bullshit and what do the robots and the way they're shown represent.

Transformers are actually the most ideological films of the last decade, and therefore should be thouroughly examined and analyzed. That doesn't mean they're inherently worthy of some artistic acclaim, just that they are culturally important.

Old Post May-02-2012 22:33 
Click Here to See the Profile for GoSpeedGo! Click here to Send GoSpeedGo! a Private Message Add GoSpeedGo! to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
srussell0018
Chaostician

I never saw the third one, so I can't comment on that, but

quote:

Transformers are actually the most ideological films of the last decade, and therefore should be thouroughly examined and analyzed. That doesn't mean they're inherently worthy of some artistic acclaim, just that they are culturally important.

No.

Old Post May-02-2012 22:37  Ireland
Click Here to See the Profile for srussell0018 Click here to Send srussell0018 a Private Message Add srussell0018 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
GoSpeedGo!
no more Mr. Nice Guy

quote:
No.

This is a pretty bad answer to what I've just written.

Old Post May-02-2012 22:41 
Click Here to See the Profile for GoSpeedGo! Click here to Send GoSpeedGo! a Private Message Add GoSpeedGo! to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
srussell0018
Chaostician

A non-stop action movie based around giant robots and explosions should not be thoroughly examined and analyzed, because after all of that time you've wasted, you'll see that it is nothing more than an action movie meant to hold Americans' 5 minute attention spans with explosions and loud noises at every possible juncture.

If you're going to say Transformers is culturally important, then you have to say every successful blockbuster action movie of every summer is culturally important. And they're not.

Old Post May-02-2012 22:49  Ireland
EddieZilker
This is the dance.

quote:
Originally posted by GoSpeedGo!
This is a pretty bad answer to what I've just written.

What do you expect from someone who watched them all to the end?

I'm kidding.

Now with extra singles!
my old stuff, not quite up to snuff - but I still dig it - UPDATED 9/23/2012

Old Post May-02-2012 22:49  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for EddieZilker Click here to Send EddieZilker a Private Message Visit EddieZilker's homepage! Add EddieZilker to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
GoSpeedGo!
no more Mr. Nice Guy

quote:
A non-stop action movie based around giant robots and explosions should not be thoroughly examined and analyzed, because after all of that time you've wasted, you'll see that it is nothing more than an action movie meant to hold Americans' 5 minute attention spans with explosions and loud noises at every possible juncture.

If you're going to say Transformers is culturally important, then you have to say every successful blockbuster action movie of every summer is culturally important. And they're not.

Again, you're not addressing the points I made, you're just going LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU with fingers in your ears.

Robots are not just robots. They are personified ideas.

And yes, blockbusters are culturally important just by virtue of their massive audience.

Old Post May-02-2012 23:21 
WittyHandle
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by ShabbaRANNx
Oh great, you're mixing back to the future with star trek references.

You do fucking realise you're on an EDM forum where people actually *might* just know what the fuck they are talking about before instead of just vomit-posting some BS about "EQ"?

Or was all the intelligence used up when selecting an screen name? Oh, obviously not.

Again, it's the whole point - he's not the same person. You may not like it, but it's all on purpose.

Woosh. Your posts always sound like you're coming down from massive coke benders. Either that or you're an angst ridden perma-teen NIN groupie who can't accept that Trent has moved on and actually enjoys a nice cozy night in with a bottle of wine and a Jennifer Aniston rom-com.

My screen name is very intentionally inane. Yours isn't. You lose.

No one is implying he is the same as Bruce as he is as Batman. I'm saying he sounds ridiculous. Just because he has to have a different voice, that doesn't mean he has to have THAT one. There are lots of other options available that they could have gone with.

There are several bags of dicks out in the hall. Better get to work, they ain't gonna eat themselves.

Old Post May-03-2012 03:32  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for WittyHandle Click here to Send WittyHandle a Private Message Add WittyHandle to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Blue Neptune
tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN

Finally, it's not a trilogy

Yes it is. They are rebooting the series after TDKR. Bale and Nolan will never do another Batman movie again. Which is great because I really wanna see Nolan's Howard Hughes movie or stuff like Memento.

Old Post May-03-2012 04:17  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Blue Neptune Click here to Send Blue Neptune a Private Message Visit Blue Neptune's homepage! Add Blue Neptune to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
srussell0018
Chaostician

quote:
Originally posted by GoSpeedGo!
Again, you're not addressing the points I made, you're just going LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU with fingers in your ears.

Robots are not just robots. They are personified ideas.

And yes, blockbusters are culturally important just by virtue of their massive audience.

I'm not addressing your points because they're stupid points. I've seen you in the movie recommendations thread, and you're just as much of a moron there. You try to find meaning in every little detail of every movie, when sometimes there just isn't any. They're fucking robots that blow shit up. That's the movie. The end.

Old Post May-03-2012 05:14  Ireland
GoSpeedGo!
no more Mr. Nice Guy

quote:
I'm not addressing your points because they're stupid points. I've seen you in the movie recommendations thread, and you're just as much of a moron there. You try to find meaning in every little detail of every movie, when sometimes there just isn't any. They're fucking robots that blow shit up. That's the movie. The end.

I'm not talking about details, you nitwit. I'm talking about characters from the movie.

This one is so obvious that even the critics on RT noticed it. These aren't just robots, they are racial stereotypes, caricatures used as comic relief. Listen to how they talk. They represent something.

Old Post May-03-2012 06:17 

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > The Dark Knight Rises
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (30): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbacktrack from Max Graham set [2005] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackThe Rush - "Sensation Anthem 2004" [2004]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread