Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > It's too expensive to copyright stuff!
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
vito
michaEl pollEn addict

ok, that proves the time
doesn't prove that you really made it, you could've stolen something and mailed it to yourself

Old Post Dec-29-2002 21:04 
Click Here to See the Profile for vito Click here to Send vito a Private Message Add vito to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lira
Ancient BassAddict

quote:
Originally posted by vito
ok, that proves the time
doesn't prove that you really made it, you could've stolen something and mailed it to yourself

But that proves that you had it before the person you're sueing. If the person who you stole the thing from, sues you, you'll be punished as well And if you stole it from someone who can't prove it... you win the case It's a failure that can't really be corrected, that's why there are so many mechanisms to copyright stuff (yeah, I learned a lot of things in the last couple of days )

Old Post Dec-30-2002 00:11  Brazil
Click Here to See the Profile for Lira Click here to Send Lira a Private Message Visit Lira's homepage! Add Lira to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
bug_bite
Senior tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Maaz
But that proves that you had it before the person you're sueing. If the person who you stole the thing from, sues you, you'll be punished as well And if you stole it from someone who can't prove it... you win the case It's a failure that can't really be corrected, that's why there are so many mechanisms to copyright stuff (yeah, I learned a lot of things in the last couple of days )

technically if you stole it from someone but as soon as you stole it you mailed it to yourself registered so there is a date and stuff and then years later you are sued by that person but they DID not mail it to themselves....well you'd win most likely. The reason why is because as long as you don't admit you stole it or tell anyone it comes down to WHO HAD IT FIRST. If the producer can not prove that they produced it at a date that is prior to the date of you mailing it to yourself then they are sh|t out of luck.

This is why you do it. You copyright things so that you don't get screwed later. When you pay to have something copyrighted it is even stronger evidence to your case because it is legally registered with a date, whereas someone may argue that you forged the postmark. They can not argue that the date on your government registered copyright is forged.

Does this make a bit more sense? (directed at the topic starter)

~~ Music is my Fantasy ~~
.... Dancing is the Dream ....
~~~~~~~/./~~~~~~~~~
Enter the Starlight and Dream with me.

Old Post Dec-31-2002 10:08  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for bug_bite Click here to Send bug_bite a Private Message Add bug_bite to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
MisterOpus1
Grumpy Old Fart

Sounds like to me that it's best to just pay the $17 for your copywright. That really isin't that expensive at all for an original work. The question I have is can you copywright a handfull of songs, all for 17$ combined, or does each original song have to have a $17 tag on it?

and dance about,
and stick pickles in my honker...

Old Post Dec-31-2002 14:31  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for MisterOpus1 Click here to Send MisterOpus1 a Private Message Add MisterOpus1 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > It's too expensive to copyright stuff!
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackUnknown Tune from a Tyler Michaud set [2005] [4]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackm-box and susie ledge - when youre gone (original mix) [2008]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread