Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - West Coast / Las Vegas > TranceAddicts Hear it All: Official Resource for Hearing Information and Protection!
Pages (8): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
capricorn15
__

quote:
Originally posted by fantasyexctasy
I work as a surgical tech and work with a lot of ENT doctors. Dr. Batniji is the lead doctor when it comes to ears in SoCal. We were discussing hearing loss one day and I asked him regarding speakers at concerts. Basically, even in a stadium setting, your hearing can go even if you don't think you really are that close.

I've been wearing ear plugs for years now at clubs and thank god I have. I forgot mine the other day at the Mayan and thought my ears were going to pop. They really need to sell ear plugs in clubs.

I went to him for an ear test a little over a year ago. Luckily my hearing was normal. I started wearing ear plugs a couple years ago when I learned about tinnitus and hearing loss. I think it's loud enough with ear plugs in. I think it's also good to go outside for a few a couple times during a show to give your ears a rest.

Old Post Jun-21-2010 12:35 
Click Here to See the Profile for capricorn15 Click here to Send capricorn15 a Private Message Add capricorn15 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Quazar
still likes trance

I run into ear-hurting sound problems at concerts more often than clubs. I've actually had ringing since I was very young because of childhood ear infections, but overall I actually have pretty good hearing. I can keep the volume lower on things than almost all of my friends, including ones who never go to clubs or concerts.

That said, if I feel like the sound is too much and I don't have my earplugs on me (I take them to concerts, but normally not clubs) I find some napkins and create makeshift earplugs with them. Not as good, of course, but there is definitely a difference. I also make sure to step outside or go to the bathroom to get away from the sound for a couple of minutes every hour or so.

Old Post Dec-08-2010 09:17  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Quazar Click here to Send Quazar a Private Message Add Quazar to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Hitokiri ^_^x
Senior tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by in2muzikk
Yes, they do exist:

http://www.hearingresearch.org/Dr.Ross/Tinnitus.htm

Hyperacousis

Often, tinnitus does not appear alone, but in combination with hyperacousis, which is defined as an extreme sensitivity to environmental sounds. Some authorities believe that it may be the phobic reaction to the tinnitus that is primarily responsible for the acute sensitivity to sound, which then develops into hyperacousis. People with this problem may be reluctant to leave their homes because of their fear of being suddenly exposed to intolerably (for them) loud sounds. They may use earplugs or earmuffs to "protect" their hearing. Indeed, ten years ago I described in this journal a "reverse" hearing aid designed to reduce environmental sounds for people with hyperacousis. According to the rationale underlying TRT, these "remedial" steps were exactly the wrong procedure to use with such people. Instead of protecting them, all it does is increase their fear and anxiety about sound exposures.

~~~~~~

But, I believe such "reverse hearing aids" are used in normal volume situations like restaurants, at home, etc. Apparently they don't work so well then either.

A problem with trying to use something like this at a nightclub would be getting a good seal with the ear. Properly fitted foam earplugs form a sealed barrier that attenuates or reduces the volume. A foam earplug with an attenuation rating of 32-33db is the strongest ear protection you can get without wearing external earmuffs. Depending on how loud the sound is, this level of protection may or may not be enough. If it's not, unfortunately there's no way that any kind of hearing aid (which is not as tightly sealed) could do any better.

Good information. Will look into this more.

Old Post Feb-22-2011 07:16 
Click Here to See the Profile for Hitokiri ^_^x Click here to Send Hitokiri ^_^x a Private Message Add Hitokiri ^_^x to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
in2muzikk
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by nima86
last night at markus i decided time to protect my ears, will music stores like guitar center have protection that musicians use?

They might, if you're talking about the flanged musicians' earlugs, or you can look here:

http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net

There's even a do it yourself custom kit there, though if you're looking for custom ones, best to be fitted at an audiologist (see list on page 1).

Old Post May-22-2011 20:05  Germany
Click Here to See the Profile for in2muzikk Click here to Send in2muzikk a Private Message Add in2muzikk to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
nima86
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by in2muzikk
They might, if you're talking about the flanged musicians' earlugs, or you can look here:

http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net

There's even a do it yourself custom kit there, though if you're looking for custom ones, best to be fitted at an audiologist (see list on page 1).

out of the musician earphones is their one thats recommended over the rest??

Old Post May-22-2011 20:19 
Click Here to See the Profile for nima86 Click here to Send nima86 a Private Message Add nima86 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
MelBeat
Supreme tranceaddict

I felt most protected with the generic ones sold at Walmart and CVS like "Flents Quiet Please", even tough the sound sounds a bit muffed. But I was totally disappointed with Alpine MusicSafe Classic; they left my ears buzzin last year at TATW350.

Old Post May-22-2011 20:39  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for MelBeat Click here to Send MelBeat a Private Message Add MelBeat to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
AndyM989
tranceaddict in training

quote:
Originally posted by rizo
ordered some new pairs of ER20s but anyone tried or use Alpine MusicSafe Natural Sound Professional Musician's Ear Plugs?

Bought a pair of these myself, and they definitely work great. Would recommend to anyone looking for a pair.

Old Post May-23-2011 05:57  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for AndyM989 Click here to Send AndyM989 a Private Message Add AndyM989 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
in2muzikk
Supreme tranceaddict

"The best" is a matter of interpretation, and may differ from person to person. The first few pages of this thread provide an in-depth analysis of most different types of earplugs, and their attenuation (noise reduction) varies depending on how they fit.

As for me, I've bought standard musicians earplugs, and have been fitted by an audiologist with both custom solid and musicians earplugs. None of these provided enough protection for me, so I always use HEAROS Super Soft foam plugs, which are rated NRR32, the maximum possible attenuation without using external earmuffs.

Downside, as mentioned, is that attenuation of higher frequencies is greater than lower ones. You won't hear as many of the high notes in the music, but for me there was no other choice, so I got used to it.

Some of my friends use the standard ER-20 musicians' earplugs and are satisfied with them, and others have been custom fitted with musicians' earplugs and are happy with them as well. The key to me is fit: If the earplugs don't seal properly, they are much less effective. I recommend trying some different ones out and deciding what works best. I've spent a couple hundred bucks going through this process, but we only get two ears (if we're lucky), and hearing is priceless...it's money well spent.

Old Post May-23-2011 06:31  Germany
Click Here to See the Profile for in2muzikk Click here to Send in2muzikk a Private Message Add in2muzikk to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
MelBeat
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by AndyM989
Bought a pair of these myself, and they definitely work great. Would recommend to anyone looking for a pair.

The MusicSafe classic is the same as the pro except it doesn't have the low protection filter. Like i said, I didn't like them. I have a spare unopened one.

Old Post May-23-2011 16:41  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for MelBeat Click here to Send MelBeat a Private Message Add MelBeat to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lagrangian
Suspended User

so nice of you to make a sticky out of this thread! thank you!!

Old Post Apr-04-2012 19:57  Norway
Click Here to See the Profile for Lagrangian Click here to Send Lagrangian a Private Message Add Lagrangian to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
msilin
Supreme tranceaddict

is there a good place to buy earplugs in West LA (or LA in general)? I'm trying to get some for EDC but don't want to pay for overnight shipping...

Old Post Jun-05-2012 04:02  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for msilin Click here to Send msilin a Private Message Visit msilin's homepage! Add msilin to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
in2muzikk
Supreme tranceaddict

Guitar Center should have HEAROS super soft foam plugs and maybe the flanged musician's earplugs. Many drugstores also carry the HEAROS ones.

If using the flanged musicians' plugs for the first time, I recommend taking some foam ones as backup, as effectiveness of the flanged earplugs is largely dependent on fit and comfort. Hope this helps, enjoy EDC!

Old Post Jun-05-2012 17:52  Germany

TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - West Coast / Las Vegas > TranceAddicts Hear it All: Official Resource for Hearing Information and Protection!
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (8): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackID'ed -> Push - Till we meet again (Push Trancendental Mix) [2005] [2]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackAndy Moor - "No More" (Original Mix) [2004]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread