Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Divorce
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
ziptnf
Programming your future

Divorce

Well it's basically been my worst nightmare the last few days. I feel like my stomach has fallen out of my body. I can't eat, I can't sleep. I tried to do everything to save the marriage, way past what most would do. My poor young children aren't going to understand.

I know Weiner went through it. She is doing great now if I recall. Anyone else here?

Set Archive | TA DJ Challenge

Old Post Nov-14-2023 01:41 
Click Here to See the Profile for ziptnf Click here to Send ziptnf a Private Message Visit ziptnf's homepage! Add ziptnf to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Silky Johnson
International Playa Hater

Damn dude that sucks. If you did all you could though and the relationship just isn't working and/or can't be salvaged, you really are doing the best thing for your kids.

My parents divorced and because of it they were each able to give us all the emotional availability, stability, guidance, time, and validation we needed.... something there's no way in hell they'd have been capable of doing had they stayed together. Had they done the old "stay together for the kids," we'd surely have grown up in a toxic home.

Kids understand more than adults give them credit for. I wouldn't stress on that too much. I was 6/7 when my parents split and I knew even at that age it was necessary. I'm grateful for it, truly. Kids don't need much more than a safe and stable home, and that's what you'll be giving them.

Anyway, really sorry to hear. The end of a marriage is a huge loss to grieve.

Last edited by Silky Johnson on Nov-14-2023 at 10:50

Old Post Nov-14-2023 09:31 
Click Here to See the Profile for Silky Johnson Click here to Send Silky Johnson a Private Message Add Silky Johnson to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Boomer187
Spicy Hotdog

That stinks man sorry you are going through this. My parents split when I was around 12 and it is different then. We really blamed ourselves at first but it was easier to explain it wasn't our fault.

There will be better times later. Stay busy and good luck.

Old Post Nov-14-2023 10:55  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Boomer187 Click here to Send Boomer187 a Private Message Visit Boomer187's homepage! Add Boomer187 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
OrangestO
–30–

Sorry to hear, man. That's tough. As soon as I read the thread title, my heart sank a bit.

My parents split when I was 4 before I started school. Growing up, I didn't think much of it. I always just said, "They're so different and weren't meant for each other. That's obvious. I understand why it happened."

What affected me most from their split was their choice in partners afterward, especially my mom. She cheated on my dad with a guy who became my "stepdad" for five years while I lived with them. He abused me physically and mentally. She left him a few years after having my sister only to meet another asshole who she's still with today. No one in the family likes the guy. I don't even see him anymore. Fuck that.

A few years ago, I was up late on Facebook -- drunk. The name of the first guy popped up in my people you may know list. I decided to message him. He took about a year to respond; it was a few weeks before my son was born. He wrote that he could never forgive himself, he never expected me to and he was deeply sorry. It was the first time someone acknowledged my perspective and pain stemming from that situation. I was hoping it would be my mom to do so, but it was him. Who knows if it was a genuine response, but I appreciated it nonetheless. I felt lighter for it, for sure, even though my mom is still in denial and can't discuss it.

I wonder what kind of tension was in the household in the months or even years leading to my parents' split. From stories, I gather it was quite a fucked up environment in which to raise kids. That and their choice of partners has definitely had a lasting impact on my psyche. Although having my own kid has allowed me to refocus my energy on my own family and free myself from the grudges I once held, it also boggles my mind even more that my parents could've done some of the things they did.

Hope you pull through OK. Don't stop being a good dad just because you aren't their mother's husband.

Old Post Nov-14-2023 11:41 
Click Here to See the Profile for OrangestO Click here to Send OrangestO a Private Message Add OrangestO to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
ziptnf
Programming your future

It seems like there are so many "COD"'s (Children of Divorce) not just on this forum, but everywhere. Half the people I've spoken to about this are from divorced parents. My kids are definitely my #1 priority, and I have confidence that I can raise them well.

What I'm having most trouble with is why my wife did what she did. I'm not sure if I'm ready to type the details out here yet, because, no offense, some of you fuckers are savages and I'm afraid that I will be labeled as weak for not putting my foot down and ending things sooner. Our marriage has been on the rocks for the last 2.5 years. I loved her so very deeply and that just made things hurt worse.

I've been passing all of her transgressions on as a reflection of my own self. Perhaps it's illogical, because they were all her own choice. I just wanted her to recommit and she couldn't. I was willing to forgive it all if she could just lock it back in with me. I guess she is just seeking a different path in life. None of that realization makes it hurt any less though. I'm working on tanking the pain that comes in waves. Sometimes I feel absolutely empty inside and other times I feel the acceptance. But shrouded over it all is immense sadness. Why did she fall out of love with me? Makes me feel worthless.

Thanks for all your comments. I'm in a dark place right now and I have dangerous thoughts cross my mind regularly. I'll be seeing my therapist on Friday and hopefully can get some help.

Old Post Nov-14-2023 17:20 
Click Here to See the Profile for ziptnf Click here to Send ziptnf a Private Message Visit ziptnf's homepage! Add ziptnf to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Silky Johnson
International Playa Hater

I'm pretty sure most of that sort are gone from this place lol.

Huzzah for therapy! Be well dude.

Old Post Nov-14-2023 19:22 
Click Here to See the Profile for Silky Johnson Click here to Send Silky Johnson a Private Message Add Silky Johnson to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

We weren't married but I'd been with my ex for eight years when we split in 2021. Mortgage, engagement, all in the bin. In that case I was the one who ended things after many years of trying to overlook things I wasn't happy with and which she refused to work on. All I can say is that even if you're the instigator it still doesn't make things easy. The overriding things I felt were intense guilt and a sense of failure, that I'd been a fool and that everything was wasted.

There's not much anyone can say to console you that isn't a cliché, but as that great cultural commentator Max Payne once said, "Everything is a cliché until it happens to you." What I will say is that you have a successful career, you've been a good father, you're a stand up guy and you have your shit together. When you re-enter the dating pool in your 30s you'll find that people value those things very highly. Women in particular are tired of deadbeats and time wasters. They want people of substance. You have substance, so as rejected and worthless as you feel now, when that rawness finally subsides you'll find you very much are not worthless at all.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Nov-14-2023 19:39  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Boomer187
Spicy Hotdog

Triathlon therapy is fairly effective!

Old Post Nov-14-2023 19:39  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Boomer187 Click here to Send Boomer187 a Private Message Visit Boomer187's homepage! Add Boomer187 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
JEO
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by ziptnf
Why did she fall out of love with me? Makes me feel worthless.

I think we all fall out of love at some point, man. Some just keep going, knowing they'd eventually reach that same point with their next partner anyway, and somehow make the current thing work instead. Not always the best approach, of course. If she isn't the type to put in work in a marriage, you'll probably be happier with someone who is.

If you've been trying to fix things for a long time now, and especially if the compromises have been a bit one-sided, you might have become blind to just how much you've sacrificed and what kind of compromises you've been willing to make. I think in a year or so a very different type of person will be looking back at all of that's happened to you now.

I've always been keen on trying to fix a relationship when it's falling apart. Probably because it's never me who sees something wrong with how things are, so I just panic and try to change myself since I don't want to throw it all away. A girl I was with about a decade ago ended things by cheating on me. I think she had figured out I'm willing to work many things out, so she resorted to infidelity to make it more probable things would come to an end without me trying to negotiate. The girl after that, I forgave cheating and lots of lies, went to the moon and back to get us back together. She kept stringing me along even after leaving me, so I ended up doing her all kinds of favors in hopes of rekindling it all. You could say both of them knew my weak spot, but only the latter one knowingly let me suffer for months, falsely making me believe there's some sort of hope.

When the other one just decides they don't want to be together anymore, and you try to work things out, it can be impossible to get back to a place where you feel, and are, equal again. You'll end up in a dysfunctional relationship, waiting for the last big or small thing to finally break it all, and it's likely there's resentment building in you all that time.

I guess what I mean is, that in your shoes, and with the experience I have now, I would rather choose what you're going through now immediately than after the added pain that comes from trying to salvage something unsalvageable.

Last edited by JEO on Nov-14-2023 at 21:17

Old Post Nov-14-2023 20:43  Finland
Click Here to See the Profile for JEO Click here to Send JEO a Private Message Add JEO to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
ziptnf
Programming your future

Thank you to everyone who has reached out in this thread and via PM. It's nice to know that others know what the pain feels like. A friend sent me a pretty good motivational video yesterday detailing that the pain lets you know that you can still feel. And if you can still feel it, then you can push it, and use it as fuel. As a competitive athlete, it's a good way to approach dealing with it. There is a series of emotions cycling through me. Sadness, disbelief, sucidial thoughts, depression, anger, acceptance, and then all of them back through the car wash over and over again, dozens of times a day. Last year I was on Zoloft to help with the trauma of the first discovery, and after experiencing the effects of antidepressants I'd rather feel all those feelings than suppress them entirely.

My coach hopped off the bike on Saturday to talk to me, because I was so distraught that it was clear my brain wasn't in the same galaxy. I very plainly wear my emotions on my sleeve. He told me about compartmentalization, and not letting all that hurt bleed out into the rest of my life, whether it's at my job, dealing with my kids, or during training. That's something I'll have to continue working on. Despite everyone's family situations, ultimately we are left to face life alone, and the people around us can only play supporting roles. When something this traumatic happens, however, it feels like all the power I received internally from her has dissipated. Thus the overwhelming feeling of emptiness.

Looking over the marriage as a whole, there was definitely a lot of one-sided work being done. I frequently adapted to necessary changes with what she needed regarding "me time" and taking care of the children, and did so whenever she asked me to do them. Unfortunately, she wouldn't talk to me about something until it was starting to become a big problem, and rather than having a level headed discussion like adults, it always spilled out from her in the form of accusatory frustration. Like I somehow wasn't reading her mind properly and didn't adjust accordingly.

I could probably write a lot of stuff about what went wrong in the marriage, but it could start getting really personal. I'll eventually share what she did, but I'm still kinda processing all of it. Despite taking my name, having children with me, buying a house together and everything that comes with being a nuclear family, she felt a sense of identity loss that was so strong that she completely departed from her role entirely.

Sometimes I don't know if it hurts more to lose her, or lose the idea of her. The person she was 5 years ago is not who she is today, and the same goes with me. I just didn't think the changes would be in such drastically different directions. Maybe I went too far into the deep end with triathlon, but when she asked for my time and availability, I gave it to her. I tried over and over after each new revelation to accept her for being human and try to connect with her but she was so cold and closed off. She acknowledged my efforts, and gave me the classic "it's not you, it's me", which that definitely didn't help. Still just makes it feel like who I was wasn't good enough.

I'm glad that we are all old enough to be somewhat vulnerable on this forum, life can be a bitch and I'm glad I have some people in my life that are there for me. I'm still hurting but at least the dark thoughts and immediate traumatic response has started to scab over. The hard part now is going to be waiting for the attorneys/legal processes while I have to remain in the house because of the minors. It's awkward not setting her plate at dinner and sleeping in different rooms while I still have all these feelings for her. It's torture.

Old Post Nov-15-2023 19:36 
planetaryplayer
Surpeme traineanddict

It may be hard at the moment but you must realize your self worth. What made you a good partner, what you do better than others, what you did for your family. There would be many people that would be happy to have you. It sounds like you did everything possible to make it work but you shouldn’t have to go that far. There’s nothing that could change the outcome but none of it is because of you. Every week you will feel a little bit better

Old Post Nov-17-2023 03:40  Norfolk Island
Click Here to See the Profile for planetaryplayer Click here to Send planetaryplayer a Private Message Add planetaryplayer to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
sensorium
Supreme tranceaddict

Wow, actually remembered the PW on the second try...

Anyway, I was trying to check if this website was blocked by my work server earlier today. It wasn't.

Divorce can be difficult, specially when kids are involved. I know of many who have gone through the process, are going through it--amicably and not, might probably go for it eventually, and it is all hard in different levels. I truly feel, when I hear stories about it, when there are children involved, moreso if they are used to weaponize the process itself. It can get nasty.

As overused as it sounds, time will bring in healing. All I can say is stay strong and do what is best for the children. They will grow up understanding who put more into it and who didn't. It seems like you were carrying the relationship a significant amount of time. So just give yourself as much strength to get through the process, seek support, and once this is all over, seek happiness again.

Old Post Nov-17-2023 05:22  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for sensorium Click here to Send sensorium a Private Message Add sensorium to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Divorce
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (5): [1] 2 3 4 5 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackForme Remix [2004] [2]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackair - surfing on a rocket [2008]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread