Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Friday 336: I'm now a certified hacker
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Lira
Be a Good One!

Friday 336: I'm now a certified hacker

How are you doing?

Tonight the weirdest thing happened. Someone phoned me (!) claiming I had hacked into his girlfriend's twitter account, and he wanted her handle back. I thought it was a con, because he started telling me about... my own account. Even offered to send me pictures via WhatsApp (which, for privacy reasons, I do not use). When I pointed out it couldn't be hers because I've had the same account since 2008, he was like "wait, what?", hung up, and then he sent me an SMS apologising because it was a mistake.

So far, so good... but it took him one hour from the first time he tried to retrieve my Twitter password to him reaching me. I don't know if this is the result of a widespread data breach from last year (my phone provider was targeted), or public records due to my work as a public servant but, given that I don't ever use my full name on-line, I'm very confused. Either way, I'm spending my night doing a thorough review of all my information online. Also, someone apparently now thinks I'm a hacker though, so yay for that

I hope your day has been more normal than mine

Old Post Oct-23-2021 01:33  Brazil
Click Here to See the Profile for Lira Click here to Send Lira a Private Message Visit Lira's homepage! Add Lira to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Swamper
Webmonstah

In 2021 everyone should be using a password manager (Bitwarden, Lastpass, 1password, etc.) and have a unique password (16+ in length) for each site.

"In a world of illusion you only see what you feel"

Old Post Oct-23-2021 08:47  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Swamper Click here to Send Swamper a Private Message Visit Swamper's homepage! Add Swamper to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lira
Be a Good One!

quote:
Originally posted by Swamper
In 2021 everyone should be using a password manager (Bitwarden, Lastpass, 1password, etc.) and have a unique password (16+ in length) for each site.

This is probably why my account wasn't compromised. This, and the two-step verification thingy. Has it gone out of fashion though? I wonder if that's how he started looking for my phone number.

My wife thinks it's a WhatsApp con (very common around here), and the "photos" he wanted to send me were some kind of bait. The phone company data breach would have made it much easier for grifters, after all. If it's a genuine mistake, I'm impressed he managed to track me down but couldn't remember his girlfriend's actual Twitter handle

Old Post Oct-23-2021 15:24  Brazil
Click Here to See the Profile for Lira Click here to Send Lira a Private Message Visit Lira's homepage! Add Lira to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Friday 336: I'm now a certified hacker
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread