Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Building a house - speaker question
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
_Ocean_Drive_
Supreme tranceaddict

Building a house - speaker question

Hello c0re,

I'm having a house built for March 2023 and want to know from all you audiophiles out there...

Is a high-quality TV theatre system also good for just playing music? or should I am for speakers for Home Theatre, and other speakers just for music?

Brand recommendations also welcome...

kthnx

There's a word that sums up this sort of behaviour, and that word is 'reject.'

Old Post Dec-29-2021 07:00  Japan
Click Here to See the Profile for _Ocean_Drive_ Click here to Send _Ocean_Drive_ a Private Message Add _Ocean_Drive_ to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Zoso
Banging Gangs!

Be sure to check out rtings.com if you go the sound bar route. Granted, most audiophiles build a DIY solution with a good receiver and separate speakers, but if you do go the bar route, rtings.com tests for both movie viewing and music, with graphs showing the frequency response, etc.

Old Post Dec-29-2021 12:22  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Zoso Click here to Send Zoso a Private Message Add Zoso to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
OrangestO
–30–

I'm thinking of building a club/bar/lounge next year. Actually, not a club, more like a bar or lounge where you can buy records and chill with like-minded music heads. In London, I would be way out of my league and could never come close to accomplishing anything. In other places around the world, though, there's a chance for us to create the dance. Anyway, this is one of the many questions that has popped into my head. I'm researching like crazy and networking. Design is easy here. Permits and all that other shit is, too. But how to get the sound right (and possibly with screens) is my conundrum. This is still all in such an infant stage, but I'd love the read my responses to this question. Cheers.

Old Post Dec-29-2021 19:22 
Click Here to See the Profile for OrangestO Click here to Send OrangestO a Private Message Add OrangestO to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sykonee
Supreme EMCritic

Unless you're listening to music that's specifically designed with 5.1 theatre systems in mind, it probably won't matter much.

(~)

Old Post Dec-29-2021 21:22  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Sykonee Click here to Send Sykonee a Private Message Visit Sykonee's homepage! Add Sykonee to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Demoted
hi!

Funktion One should make a soundbar.

Old Post Dec-29-2021 22:53 
Click Here to See the Profile for Demoted Click here to Send Demoted a Private Message Add Demoted to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

Almost any 5.1 system with a sub will make dance music sound thumping. No need to separate music from home cinema.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Dec-29-2021 23:55  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
planetaryplayer
Surpeme traineanddict

If you’re having your house built for a speaker you should make the speaker your house

Old Post Dec-30-2021 00:14  Norfolk Island
Click Here to See the Profile for planetaryplayer Click here to Send planetaryplayer a Private Message Add planetaryplayer to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
_Ocean_Drive_
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by planetaryplayer
If you’re having your house built for a speaker you should make the speaker your house

/thread.

Old Post Dec-30-2021 06:02  Japan
Click Here to See the Profile for _Ocean_Drive_ Click here to Send _Ocean_Drive_ a Private Message Add _Ocean_Drive_ to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Zoso
Banging Gangs!

quote:
Originally posted by _Ocean_Drive_
/thread.

Yeah, that's difficult to argue with right there!

Old Post Dec-30-2021 18:59  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Zoso Click here to Send Zoso a Private Message Add Zoso to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
_Ocean_Drive_
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
Almost any 5.1 system with a sub will make dance music sound thumping. No need to separate music from home cinema.

True, but I also like my classical / choral stuff, and I can imagine that 5.1 / Atmos or whatever would be 'overpowering'?

In any case, I am veering towards the cinema side, but would like to try out standalone speakrs - I've heard some pretty nice quality from Bowers & Wilkins...

Old Post Jan-04-2022 01:59  Japan
r5a
snake inverter

quote:
Is a high-quality TV theatre system also good for just playing music? or should I am for speakers for Home Theatre, and other speakers just for music?

for the most part yes, your AVR receiver should be able to switch to direct mode and just play on the sub + FR and FL anyway which is what you'll end up doing 99%. receivers can upmix it to 7.1 but it's not great. to be honest, Sonos is the only brand I've ever listened to Music on and actually said "holy shit the upmixing makes a huge difference"

All your Marantz, Denon and shit license the same Dolby / DTS chips that have that PLxx upmixing shit that I was talking about. Sonos only pays Dolby but they don't license the upmixing portion, that is their own in house shit that works good. but sonos has a gang of their own problems and shit, they are the apple of the home theatre world, it's bullshit.

Realistically though, since you're a new build just go for a ballin home theatre setup. focus on that and then the music part of it is just an added kicker. look at avsforum.org for advice on that. DTS/Dolby have some reference diagrams on where you should do your "ideal" placements in a totally new setup you could factor into your architect's diagrams.

source: me owning sonos arc and surrounds and dumping my childhood earnings into all sorts of home theatre equipment and reading AVSforum

Last edited by r5a on Jan-23-2022 at 06:08

Old Post Jan-23-2022 05:58  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for r5a Click here to Send r5a a Private Message Add r5a to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
r5a
snake inverter

quote:
Originally posted by Zak McKracken
Atmos is a format for movies, not music. It’s 8+2 channels while stereo is 2. When playing music you would normally play in stereo only using 2 channels (meaning the remaining center and rear and side speakers will be mute). A sound system can never be too powerful. The same applies for both music and film (and for that matter; clubs too): you want flat frequency response, full range, high dynamics, clarity etc. If you buy an Atmos system that ticks of those properties it will work great for music too, however it will cost and take space. Alternatively you can reduce cost by prioritizing good speakers only on front channels and go down on quality for center and rear. Still you need to take some matching of amps and speakers, look for high sensitivity. I recommend separate power amps and pre-amp/processor but again it will cost. What’s your room size and budget? Are you ok with having many large speakers and subs all around (what’s the WAF in your home-situation)? Soundbars is a waste of money, you need width in any case both in stereo/music and film, soundbars are practically mono - ok for watching news but nothing else. Personally I never bothered with cinema sound, most movies sounds great on a high quality 2ch hifi from $1,5k while most home cinemas does not play music very well unless you’re approaching 3-4k. Give me budget and a room size and I can recommend some solutions.

use some fucking paragraphs here bud.

- atmos is not 8+2, that's wrong. its 7.1 with height channels so technically 9.1

- A sound system can never be too powerful.
is also very wrong, you can absolutely oversize a system.

- you buy an Atmos system that ticks of those properties it will work great for music too, however it will cost and take space
what, just no.

- Alternatively you can reduce cost by prioritizing good speakers only on front channels and go down on quality for center and rear.
lol this is just bad advice, your center channel is probably one of the more important speakers in the soundstage.

also atmos isn't even a factor here, everything is mastered in stereo for music anyway, unless you get some fucking DVD of a concert or something so it goes back to my post above this.

Old Post Jan-23-2022 06:03  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for r5a Click here to Send r5a a Private Message Add r5a to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Building a house - speaker question
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackArmin Van Buuren @ Bleu, Detroit, November 07 part2 [2009] [2]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackTacit & Blue - "Abre Los Ojos" [2004]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread