Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Promotion > ::::::::. **** TA Genre Challenge, Round 2 **** .::::::::
Pages (28): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
basd
progression

quote:
Originally posted by Adam420
It's working

As I said, I took a listen while in the car today. First of all, I wasn't aware of the genre at all, but you selected some quality tunes, especially in the first half of your mix, so I'm definitely gonna check out some similar stuff.

The flow of your mix was good, as far as I can judge (not having proper knowledge of the genre). I was less impressed by some of your transitions. The first could have been somewhat more energetic, and I think you let the volume drop a little too much. There was one other where you seemed to completely mismatch a phrase (or my ears were deceiving me..). No complaints about the rest of the mixing, I can imagine it isn't the easiest genre to mix.

d&b session 20090519
My take on... (various mixes planned, updated when I can be arsed)

Old Post May-30-2009 17:10  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for basd Click here to Send basd a Private Message Add basd to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
wotyzoid
it's not house

Well, here it is:

Time: 1:00:48

01. Orinoko - Mama Konda (Terry Lee Brown Jr. Remix) [3 Lanka]
02. Cevin Fisher - The Freaks Come Out (Cevin's Freakin' Dub) [Container]
03. Andy Jay Powell - The Sequence [Future]
04. Green Velvet - Flash (Timo Maas Mix) [Warner]
05. L.S.G. - Lectrolyte [Superstition]
06. Boys-R-Us - Singin' In My Mind (Brooklyn Bounce Club Mix) [24 Records]
07. Underworld - Push Upstairs [Junior Boy's Own]
08. Mad Dogs - Better Make Room (James Holden Remix) [Better Make Room]
09. ATB feat. York - The Fields Of Love (York Dub Mix) [Radikal]
10. Kamaya Painters - Far From Over (Oliver Lieb Remix) [Reef]

[[ LINK REMOVED ]]

Purist might not feel that I stuck to the genre, but this was just my twist on the general sound of Ibiza Trance and Balearic House after I had done the research. I had a lot of fun.

enjoy

Old Post May-30-2009 17:12  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for wotyzoid Click here to Send wotyzoid a Private Message Add wotyzoid to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
GoSpeedGo!
no more Mr. Nice Guy

Re: I'm going to be a good TA and review most of the mixes in one post

quote:
Originally posted by ziptnf
paulandrews
Very short mix you got here

It started off a little slow, but you start picking up the pace as things move along. A lot of it seemed more breakish than dubby, there wasn't any tardstep or wobble shit thrown in here, which is sometimes a good thing, and sometimes makes things seem not quite dubby enough. After listening to the whole thing, there was a little dubstep in there, but mostly housey breaks. Not quite what I was expecting, but not exactly bad. Nice try, though.

Housey breaks? And wobble makes things more dubby? No offence meant man, but I don't think you know what you're talking about. It was 100% dubstep; some tunes may have strong techno or garage influence but they all fall under the dubstep umbrella. Believe me, I'm a fan Thanks for listening, and for the review.

quote:
Originally posted by montana
paulandrews, i liked your mix, good variation and good tunes, flow was a bit wonky but otherwise nothing to faulter there

Thanks. I kinda wish I had more records to choose from for this, so I could make it more coherent, but yeah, I tried my best

Old Post May-31-2009 11:53 
Click Here to See the Profile for GoSpeedGo! Click here to Send GoSpeedGo! a Private Message Add GoSpeedGo! to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Meat187
Diese scheiß Katze

quote:
Originally posted by wotyzoid
01. Orinoko - Mama Konda (Terry Lee Brown Jr. Remix) [3 Lanka]
02. Cevin Fisher - The Freaks Come Out (Cevin's Freakin' Dub) [Container]
03. Andy Jay Powell - The Sequence [Future]
04. Green Velvet - Flash (Timo Maas Mix) [Warner]
05. L.S.G. - Lectrolyte [Superstition]
06. Boys-R-Us - Singin' In My Mind (Brooklyn Bounce Club Mix) [24 Records]
07. Underworld - Push Upstairs [Junior Boy's Own]
08. Mad Dogs - Better Make Room (James Holden Remix) [Better Make Room]
09. ATB feat. York - The Fields Of Love (York Dub Mix) [Radikal]
10. Kamaya Painters - Far From Over (Oliver Lieb Remix) [Reef]

The first two tracks are not really my cup of tea, but from there onwards I enjoyed it very much.
Very nice work.

Then stop coloring and visit Meat187's mix archive!

Old Post May-31-2009 12:04  Germany
Click Here to See the Profile for Meat187 Click here to Send Meat187 a Private Message Add Meat187 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
ziptnf
Programming your future

Re: Re: I'm going to be a good TA and review most of the mixes in one post

quote:
Originally posted by paulandrews
Housey breaks? And wobble makes things more dubby? No offence meant man, but I don't think you know what you're talking about. It was 100% dubstep; some tunes may have strong techno or garage influence but they all fall under the dubstep umbrella. Believe me, I'm a fan Thanks for listening, and for the review.

I'll be honest, I don't listen to much dubstep, I like the genre, but I wasn't aware of how much stuff was actually considered dubstep. I've heard some stuff from Ted on the forums, and it seems less breakish and quite a bit slower, with some wobble stuff thrown in there. I didn't mean that wobble makes things more dubby, it's just an obvious sign that's all

I knew it was all dubstep, I was just trying to point out that it sounded different than things I've heard in the past. No worries

Set Archive | TA DJ Challenge

Old Post May-31-2009 12:27 
Click Here to See the Profile for ziptnf Click here to Send ziptnf a Private Message Visit ziptnf's homepage! Add ziptnf to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
wotyzoid
it's not house

quote:
Originally posted by Meat187
The first two tracks are not really my cup of tea, but from there onwards I enjoyed it very much.
Very nice work.

Haha nice to see a reaction like this. This mix was so outside my comfort zone, but I guess what really matters is having fun with it and making it your own.

Thanks for listening, Meat.

Old Post May-31-2009 15:05  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for wotyzoid Click here to Send wotyzoid a Private Message Add wotyzoid to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Adam420
Trance Free Since 2003

quote:
Originally posted by basd
As I said, I took a listen while in the car today. First of all, I wasn't aware of the genre at all, but you selected some quality tunes, especially in the first half of your mix, so I'm definitely gonna check out some similar stuff.

The flow of your mix was good, as far as I can judge (not having proper knowledge of the genre). I was less impressed by some of your transitions. The first could have been somewhat more energetic, and I think you let the volume drop a little too much. There was one other where you seemed to completely mismatch a phrase (or my ears were deceiving me..). No complaints about the rest of the mixing, I can imagine it isn't the easiest genre to mix.

Yea, some of those transitions were indeed pretty tough and by the one that really stuck out I'd imagine you're referring to the one out of the Junior Boys track. That totally took me by surprise but I didn't really feel like re-recording the mix because of it.

If you wanna check out some similar tracks I'd recommend "The Definitive Japanese Scene Volume 1" CD on Mule Musiq.

And thanks for the listen! Gonna check out your DnB mix this week.

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
Levels is...decent...damn better than a lot of the shite dominating the charts at the moment. It sounds absolutely nothing like...a billion and one similar tracks in this big-room style. I always had a soft spot.

Old Post May-31-2009 15:15  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Adam420 Click here to Send Adam420 a Private Message Add Adam420 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
basd
progression

quote:
Originally posted by Adam420
If you wanna check out some similar tracks I'd recommend "The Definitive Japanese Scene Volume 1" CD on Mule Musiq.

Thanks, I'll have a listen.

d&b session 20090519
My take on... (various mixes planned, updated when I can be arsed)

Old Post Jun-01-2009 17:08  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for basd Click here to Send basd a Private Message Add basd to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
ziptnf
Programming your future

So is nobody else going to review mine?

Set Archive | TA DJ Challenge

Old Post Jun-01-2009 17:15 
Click Here to See the Profile for ziptnf Click here to Send ziptnf a Private Message Visit ziptnf's homepage! Add ziptnf to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
montana
dub come save me

wotyzoid, good stuff, tunes was nice but the flow was just ok, it didn't feel coherent enough. the main issue was the programming which was off. ye, otherwise no complaints

Old Post Jun-01-2009 19:56  Syria
Click Here to See the Profile for montana Click here to Send montana a Private Message Visit montana's homepage! Add montana to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
wotyzoid
it's not house

quote:
Originally posted by montana
wotyzoid, good stuff, tunes was nice but the flow was just ok, it didn't feel coherent enough. the main issue was the programming which was off. ye, otherwise no complaints

It's Ibiza, man, who gives a fuck about programming. PlUR.

Old Post Jun-01-2009 22:39  United States
montana
dub come save me

you are probably taking the piss, but have you done that the mix out you probably lost the floor after playing that andy jay powell track. what is the point of going off hard with the cevin fisher track if you are following it up with a static trancer? and then going into sparser techy stuff to go into a housey track to go into something like push upstairs. also, the mix from lectrolyte into singing in my mind had was offphrase by a beat. the other transitions made some sense but not really. it was just when the last track was over i was think of that was that, not 'oh fuck me, i'm going to hear it again'. it could have been better but you did some bad choices in programming.

Old Post Jun-01-2009 23:16  Syria
Click Here to See the Profile for montana Click here to Send montana a Private Message Visit montana's homepage! Add montana to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Promotion > ::::::::. **** TA Genre Challenge, Round 2 **** .::::::::
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (28): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackRemix,remake or bootleg 2.... [2004] [3]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackSyntax - "Pray" [2003]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread