Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Promotion > ::::::::. **** TA Genre Challenge, Round 6 **** .::::::::
Pages (14): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Sand Leaper
Tension hunter

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
So stuff like the Scarface soundtrack is fair game?

Sure, provided you can put it into context with other more "proper" italo disco fare, which shouldn't be too hard. Intergalactic Classix at Intergalactic.fm does that now and then: https://intergalactic.fm/

I was personally thinking more of stuff like this, however, which was released in the recent years:

Old Post Apr-07-2012 20:41  Norway
Click Here to See the Profile for Sand Leaper Click here to Send Sand Leaper a Private Message Add Sand Leaper to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
RJT
last minute disco

Psybreaks, eh?

Welp, looks like I have a LOT of homework to do. Shiiiiiiiiit.

Old Post Apr-07-2012 21:46 
Click Here to See the Profile for RJT Click here to Send RJT a Private Message Visit RJT's homepage! Add RJT to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lews
Platipus And Prog Addict

quote:
Originally posted by Euforix
Good to see such opinion a while. Usually I see people worship everything that was made in the 80s.

Where the hell do you live? Everyone I know hates the 80s with a passion

Old Post Apr-07-2012 22:20 
Click Here to See the Profile for Lews Click here to Send Lews a Private Message Add Lews to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Teezdalien
Supreme tranceaddict

Yes, taste went out the window for the most part throughout the 80's, but funnily enough I remember people around my parts making out about how retro and cool the 80's were, and this was in the 90's lol. but yea the 80's was just an embarrasing period imo.

I'm looking forward to getting this mix together btw, though I'm not sure yet how I'm gonna approach it, better start some digging first.

Old Post Apr-07-2012 22:43  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for Teezdalien Click here to Send Teezdalien a Private Message Add Teezdalien to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sushipunk
Flickering, I roam

quote:
Originally posted by Lews
Where the hell do you live? Everyone I know hates the 80s with a passion

Cheesy 80s pop is awesome

Old Post Apr-07-2012 23:24  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for Sushipunk Click here to Send Sushipunk a Private Message Visit Sushipunk's homepage! Add Sushipunk to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

quote:
Originally posted by Sand Leaper
Sure, provided you can put it into context with other more "proper" italo disco fare, which shouldn't be too hard.

Well, I'm going to be honest: I have almost no idea what distinguishes Italo from other '80s synth pop, aside from it being from Italy. I certainly don't know what the connection to disco is, if there is any. The four on the floor?

What I do know, having started listening around randomly, is that I fucking hate Italo.

quote:
Originally posted by Teezdalien
I'm looking forward to getting this mix together btw, though I'm not sure yet how I'm gonna approach it, better start some digging first.

Whatever you do, please don't end up making a set of liquid. A lot of people seem to think the two sounds are synonymous, which is not true. You'll also find that the classic stuff is a lot slower than contemporary material, closer to the jungle 160bpm tempo than modern 175bpm speed.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Apr-08-2012 03:03  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
montana
dub come save me

the first time i'm doing this challenge where i haven't mixed the genre before. i've done drum & bass but not autonomic but i don't think it's going to be that hard of a challenge.

Old Post Apr-08-2012 06:59  Syria
Click Here to See the Profile for montana Click here to Send montana a Private Message Visit montana's homepage! Add montana to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sand Leaper
Tension hunter

quote:
Well, I'm going to be honest: I have almost no idea what distinguishes Italo from other '80s synth pop, aside from it being from Italy. I certainly don't know what the connection to disco is, if there is any. The four on the floor?

I started to do some writing on this, then found the following link, which had already done the job for me: http://www.euro-flash.net/italo.php It seems to emphasize the Moroder-bassline and how the tracks relied overwhelmingly on synths, whereas synth pop was, well, pop, with a traditional pop verse-hook-verse structure and songwriting.

Another recommendation: I think the dub mixes and instrumentals that italo disco 12"s came with on the b-sides will be more palatable for you.

Old Post Apr-08-2012 10:52  Norway
Click Here to See the Profile for Sand Leaper Click here to Send Sand Leaper a Private Message Add Sand Leaper to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
montana
dub come save me

^^^^ yes, agreed and here is a name you should take in considering. michiel van der kuy. known as laserdance and a few hundred other monikers & constellations (he also made a shedloads of dutch trance). also in newer names as this kind of music is still being made. johan agebjörn.

edit. last time someone got italo for real it was jay (tracid) and i told him also to talk to karim (nrg2nfinit) and also know magnetonium as well. they know a whole lot of on italo.

Old Post Apr-08-2012 11:07  Syria
Click Here to See the Profile for montana Click here to Send montana a Private Message Visit montana's homepage! Add montana to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
[N]ûk|êû[Z]
The Producer Addict

ah bastard bastard bastard!!! missed it

Bring it on down son, so you can get done, I got more styles than the miles to the sun,
Ninety three million five thousand flows, and heres one more for the HOoOoOoOOO'S!!!

Old Post Apr-08-2012 15:34  England
Click Here to See the Profile for [N]ûk|êû[Z] Click here to Send [N]ûk|êû[Z] a Private Message Add [N]ûk|êû[Z] to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
[N]ûk|êû[Z]
The Producer Addict

quote:
Argh, Italo? This is going to be an absolute nightmare. A genre where I don't own any of the tracks, where all of the tracks are 20+ years old and none of which were ever made to be mixed.

hahahaha i managed it..... barely

Bring it on down son, so you can get done, I got more styles than the miles to the sun,
Ninety three million five thousand flows, and heres one more for the HOoOoOoOOO'S!!!

Old Post Apr-08-2012 15:36  England
Click Here to See the Profile for [N]ûk|êû[Z] Click here to Send [N]ûk|êû[Z] a Private Message Add [N]ûk|êû[Z] to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
saluyamo
Supreme tranceaddict

Is there an archive of previous mixes?

Old Post Apr-09-2012 15:28  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for saluyamo Click here to Send saluyamo a Private Message Add saluyamo to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Promotion > ::::::::. **** TA Genre Challenge, Round 6 **** .::::::::
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (14): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackzabiela track id (should be easy) [2005] [3]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackSignum - Cura me (Katana remix) [2002]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread