Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Post your remastered/re-released tracks here...
Pages (20): « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

I just found out today that Choo Choo seem to have put a lot of their catalogue online over at Juno Download: https://www.junodownload.com/labels/Choo+Choo

You can also find most of Distinctive, Hope, Whoop, Vapour, Basic Beat, Combined Forces, Baroque, Superfly, Plastica and quite a few other old labels on Beatport.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Apr-09-2018 12:21  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Midlothian
Reaping the percussions

Thanks for pointing that out SJ - that's brilliant news after the BP Bedrock mono debacle the other day. That's going to be a basket full of Gilbey materials

Old Post Apr-09-2018 13:10  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Midlothian Click here to Send Midlothian a Private Message Add Midlothian to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lews
Platipus And Prog Addict

I seem to recall that the quality of the Whoop releases was also highly disappointing, so buyer beware.

Old Post Apr-09-2018 15:25 
Click Here to See the Profile for Lews Click here to Send Lews a Private Message Add Lews to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
AlphaStarred
-__---__-_-_-_-----_

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
You can also find most of Distinctive, Hope, Whoop, Vapour, Basic Beat, Combined Forces, Baroque, Superfly, Plastica and quite a few other old labels on Beatport.

The back catalogues of Bonzai Records, DiKi Records, Warp Records, Peacefrog Records, Soma Records, R&S Records and Djax-Up-Beats are also available, among other labels and artists. I should also warn that many of the older releases, especially on Djax-Up-Beats, are recorded pretty horribly - on the quiet side.

Last edited by AlphaStarred on Apr-09-2018 at 16:21

Old Post Apr-09-2018 16:06  Israel
Click Here to See the Profile for AlphaStarred Click here to Send AlphaStarred a Private Message Add AlphaStarred to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

Yes, I Shazam'd something yesterday from a Silicone Soul set from 2001 and was surprised to see it ID'd. Turned out it was on Soma, and available on Beatport.

Let us also not forget the twin pillars of post-95 trance, Platipus and Hooj Choons, are both largely digitised, although some of the Hooj releases are in pretty poor quality. Andy Ling - Fixation is also in ultra-quiet mono, for reasons unknown. Was there some cowboy distribution company in the mid-00s that offered to do all this for these labels?

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Apr-09-2018 16:44  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list SYSTEM-J is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
AlphaStarred
-__---__-_-_-_-----_

quote:
Andy Ling - Fixation is also in ultra-quiet mono, for reasons unknown.

Just last week or so I wanted to purchase the Silvio Ecomo remix and noticed this very problem, which dissuaded me from purchasing. Are some of these recordings actually recorded in mono, or are they just on the quiet side? It's a shame, either way.

Old Post Apr-09-2018 16:58  Israel
Click Here to See the Profile for AlphaStarred Click here to Send AlphaStarred a Private Message Add AlphaStarred to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Syntonic
Artcore Addict

Would also recommend going through Deep Records catalogue.

https://www.beatport.com/label/deep-records/5149

Old & New Electronic Music Channel
Soundcloud Mixes

Old Post Apr-10-2018 02:14  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Syntonic Click here to Send Syntonic a Private Message Add Syntonic to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Woony
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Was there some cowboy distribution company in the mid-00s that offered to do all this for these labels?

Probably, a lot of older labels were kind of hesitant to get into digital at first. Having some else do the back catalogue probably made it more comfortable for labels. It also seems like most of these old Beatport back catalogues are sourced from vinyl because either they were too lazy to get the DATs or they got lost. Ripping from vinyl is a fickle beast, it's very easy to get crappy results if you don't pay attention to the gear. It can sound great but requires audiophile gear (the usual DJ setup of technics turntable, pioneer/xone mixer and shure/ortofon stylus is mediocre for ripping), attention to the recording process and maybe some post-editing. All of which these "cowboys" probably didn't do. If they did source from DAT (digital tape, the standard recording medium for electronic music until DAWs became popular, which is pretty pristine as far as reproduction goes) there had to besome monumental fuckup along the way, probably some intern that didn't notice that he had the mono switch engaged and was recording at -15db

Last edited by Woony on Apr-10-2018 at 11:04

Old Post Apr-10-2018 10:54 
Click Here to See the Profile for Woony Click here to Send Woony a Private Message Add Woony to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Midlothian
Reaping the percussions

Am I to expect the exact same problems over at e.g. junodownload?

Old Post Apr-10-2018 11:25  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Midlothian Click here to Send Midlothian a Private Message Add Midlothian to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Syntonic
Artcore Addict

DJ Nukem - Music Play

https://www.beatport.com/release/music-play/2208361

Originally released in 2002, comes with a 2018 mix and some remixes. Don't really care for them though.

2002 mix ftw

Old & New Electronic Music Channel
Soundcloud Mixes

Old Post May-11-2018 21:20  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Syntonic Click here to Send Syntonic a Private Message Add Syntonic to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Midlothian
Reaping the percussions

quote:
Originally posted by Woony
Probably, a lot of older labels were kind of hesitant to get into digital at first.

I wanted to get a digital copy of an epic unicorn release from back in the day (https://www.discogs.com/Tony-Walker...y/master/189478) only to find that apparently a big player like Tsunami / Purple Eye isn't even on the Beatports and Junoes? Wtf am I supposed to get the music I want to pay for. I will get a 12" copy hopefully sometime soon but it shouldn't be strange in 20 fucking 18 to want to get a high-quality digital copy...

Old Post May-18-2018 08:37  Netherlands
the-sixth
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Woony
(the usual DJ setup of technics turntable, pioneer/xone mixer and shure/ortofon stylus is mediocre for ripping)

I have to disagree. After 20 years of ripping in my personal experience the most important thing in any rip is the vinyl itself. Then the stylus. Maybe you could make a case for your A2D converter and soundcard. Processing in something like iZotope RX 5 essential also. After that I would argue your gains in sound are down to the individual listener.

I have spent a fortune on some real snake oil crap. You read the reviews with all the big words and fancy language and think this is the thing that will transform my records. No. No it wont. Buying a MINT copy of the record will. Having a stylus that can scoop up all detail will.

The only other addition I would recommend which yields real improvements is an ultrasonic cleaner. It can bring records back from the dead. I have before and after samples I can post as an example from a test pressigng of Atlantis Fiji from 1998.

Fiji Break Before

Fiji Break After

On the stores themselves:

I have emailed both beatport and Juno several times for a refund and I check every purchase with spek to see if there is a frequency cut off on their wav (thus pointing to a re-encoded mp3). One of a few tools I use.

Rare Vinyls spinning on video If you like that sort of thing

Old Post May-18-2018 12:07  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for the-sixth Click here to Send the-sixth a Private Message Add the-sixth to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Post your remastered/re-released tracks here...
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (20): « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackepic song , no id [2006] [2]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackJamie Wamie - Pianotight (Gold Ryan Mix) [2007]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread