Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Friday 335 - live from Kiribati (UTC+14:00)
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Midlothian
Reaping the percussions

quote:
Originally posted by Lira
A voiceless interdental wouldn't be impossible, but it would somewhat unusual in this context. I'd have expected an interdental fricative to arise from a broader case of lenition, not just before a high vowel. That's what happened in English and in European Spanish (where it evolved from a voiceless affricate). Also, interdentals aren't really that common in Austronesian languages (Yapese and Drehu being exceptions)... or anywhere, really.

Because it's so very specific to one restricted environment, it's more likely the result of palatalisation as it's always followed by /i/ in the North. If you compare to neighbouring languages, the pronunciation of /ti/ as [tsi] or [t͡ɕi] is much more widespread, being a more likely path to [si]. In Southern Kiribati it's spread to both high vowels, so /tu/ is pronounced [su] too.

As for whether it happens in the beginning of words, yes, apparently.

Wait, are you a linguistics student/researcher/professor?

I thought of ɕi/ši but failed to consider deaffrication. No I happen to know some languages professionally (mostly BCE) but no formal Linguistics background.

Old Post Oct-15-2021 09:39  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Midlothian Click here to Send Midlothian a Private Message Add Midlothian to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lira
Ancient BassAddict

quote:
Originally posted by Sushipunk
Same. Just got 2 months of rain in 2 days

Yeah, I think it wouldn't be an exaggeration to say it was close to that here too. Not complaining or anything, our hydroelectric power plants were in a very dire situation... so, phew, it was close
quote:
Originally posted by Midlothian
I thought of ɕi/ši but failed to consider deaffrication. No I happen to know some languages professionally (mostly BCE) but no formal Linguistics background.

Well, you do have a knack for historical linguistics. I can honestly say that proposing an intermediate stage of a sound stage like that is much better than what most classmates did when I was in graduate school

(not to underestimate my colleagues or anything, it's just that sound changes were not exactly popular around here)

Old Post Oct-16-2021 06:01  Brazil
Click Here to See the Profile for Lira Click here to Send Lira a Private Message Visit Lira's homepage! Add Lira to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
planetaryplayer
Surpeme traineanddict

my gf just booked us a flight to the mountain with nice lakes when i was asleep

Old Post Oct-16-2021 17:45  Norfolk Island
Click Here to See the Profile for planetaryplayer Click here to Send planetaryplayer a Private Message Add planetaryplayer to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
r5a
snake inverter

are we all a bunch of fucking autists that just stick around posting shit now?

Old Post Oct-16-2021 23:10  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for r5a Click here to Send r5a a Private Message Add r5a to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Swamper
Webmonstah

quote:
Originally posted by r5a
are we all a bunch of fucking autists that just stick around posting shit now?

No. Speak for yourself mister

"In a world of illusion you only see what you feel"

Old Post Oct-17-2021 02:47  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Swamper Click here to Send Swamper a Private Message Visit Swamper's homepage! Add Swamper to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Midlothian
Reaping the percussions

Two decades of hand flappers

Old Post Oct-17-2021 08:14  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Midlothian Click here to Send Midlothian a Private Message Add Midlothian to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
KilldaDJ
birth.school.trance.death

Found Atlantis - Mixography [mix archive/mokumentary/my soul]?
i writed a song.

Old Post Oct-17-2021 10:59 
Click Here to See the Profile for KilldaDJ Click here to Send KilldaDJ a Private Message Visit KilldaDJ's homepage! Add KilldaDJ to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
planetaryplayer
Surpeme traineanddict

it's friday here on omicron persei 8

Old Post Oct-19-2021 18:56  Norfolk Island
Click Here to See the Profile for planetaryplayer Click here to Send planetaryplayer a Private Message Add planetaryplayer to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Friday 335 - live from Kiribati (UTC+14:00)
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (2): « 1 [2]  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackSoul Clap & others, DEMF [2010] [1]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackinteractive - koma [2006]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread