Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Archives > Classic old threads / Inactive Forums > UEFA Euro 2004 > England to reveal starting lineup for France game tonight
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Ian
Not dead yet.

England to reveal starting lineup for France game tonight

According to Sven, the first 11 he picks vs Japan in tonights match will be our france lineup for the opening match, I'm suspecting it to be something like

James

Cole
G Neville
Campbell
Terry

Beckham
Lampard
Gerrard
Scholes

Owen
Heskey

(Personally I don't see Rooney startin vs france, but who knows)

Old Post Jun-01-2004 11:18 
Click Here to See the Profile for Ian Click here to Send Ian a Private Message Add Ian to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Virus
yes

It's really strange how England always have problems producing a good left-sided winger. The Irish have Duff, Wales has Giggs, but England hasn't got anyone? Who out of Scholes, Gerrard and Lampard are supposed to play on the left? All of them are central midfielders. Quality players indeed, but not wingers. Cole is an attacking full back, but not a Roberto Carlos. He can't cover the whole left side.
On the other side there is Beckham. Neither he is a winger, a master of passes and he runs like crazy, but none of the midfielders has pace and dribbling ability. In fact, all four of them are basically central midfielders. This is one of the reasons I don't think England will go all the way this summer. You also lack a quality keeper and options in attack.

Old Post Jun-01-2004 12:13  Sweden
Click Here to See the Profile for Virus Click here to Send Virus a Private Message Add Virus to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Ian
Not dead yet.

quote:
Originally posted by Virus
It's really strange how England always have problems producing a good left-sided winger. The Irish have Duff, Wales has Giggs, but England hasn't got anyone? Who out of Scholes, Gerrard and Lampard are supposed to play on the left? All of them are central midfielders. Quality players indeed, but not wingers. Cole is an attacking full back, but not a Roberto Carlos. He can't cover the whole left side.
On the other side there is Beckham. Neither he is a winger, a master of passes and he runs like crazy, but none of the midfielders has pace and dribbling ability. In fact, all four of them are basically central midfielders. This is one of the reasons I don't think England will go all the way this summer. You also lack a quality keeper and options in attack.

The main problem is when you look at the biggest teams in the UK who they have on the left

Man Utd - Giggs
Arsenal - Pires
Chelsea - Duff
Liverpool - Kewell
Newcastle - Robert
Boro - Zenden
Bolton - Nolan (English but platt never picked him even tho he's scored 13 goals this season for us on the left or right or middle)
Southampton - Fernandes
Celtic - Thompson - given 1 game
Fulham - Boa Morte

so... theres not many real 'left wingers', Nolan is the only englishman from a top 10 team who's played there a bit, and it's not even his natural position, might just show how hard they are to come by, we have some promising young ones, but the others who were meant to be good, Etherington, Harley etc have ended up playing in div 1 which won't get them in the england team. We've got Gerrard who can play there but is best in the middle, Hargreaves & Joe cole who can fill in if needed but again, no natural player for there, the only other thing we could do would be to play Wayne Bridge ahead of or behind cole

Old Post Jun-01-2004 12:27 
Click Here to See the Profile for Ian Click here to Send Ian a Private Message Add Ian to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
RubiK Cube
Aguamoose

quote:
Originally posted by Ian^
play Wayne Bridge ahead of or behind cole

Thats what the friendlies are for, but Sven doesnt seem to understand that much.

Out of that starting XI id prefer Bridge instead of Cole and Rooney for Heskey. Maybe Robinson in goal if he can get some confidence back

Old Post Jun-01-2004 15:14  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for RubiK Cube Click here to Send RubiK Cube a Private Message Add RubiK Cube to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
evil_bastard
Newcastle United

Bridge is a better footballer than Cole, defensively and offensively. Alan Thompson is a natural left-sided player and our best option there, and it's a testament to Eriksson's ignorance that he's not even in the squad.

Old Post Jun-01-2004 20:33  England
Click Here to See the Profile for evil_bastard Click here to Send evil_bastard a Private Message Add evil_bastard to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
PacMan
Supreme tranceaddict

thought it was decided that gerrard will be playin on the left side of the diamond formation :+\

and if youve seen gerrard play youll realize there is much difference on where he is on the pitch he delivers no matter what side he plays on.

and what you mean they cant dribble?
who needs dribling when they still get passed the player infront of em?

and did you see gerrards ball to owen against newcastle?

Tune of the moment

Old Post Jun-01-2004 21:45  Norway
Click Here to See the Profile for PacMan Click here to Send PacMan a Private Message Add PacMan to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
chesco
out to lunch

Gerard on the left is laughable.

Everytime he gets the ball it's inside on to his right foot cross the ball and straight to the keepers arms. Against better defences and goalkeepers, england will have no chance of producing anything from the left side.

It's sooooo annoying being a celtic fan, having watched thomson delivering ball after ball for larsson and sutton in scotland and in europe, that he isn't even in the squad. They should be playing bridge and thommo on the left and cole should be left out.

I can't see england challenging for the title any other way..

Old Post Jun-01-2004 21:54  Scotland
Click Here to See the Profile for chesco Click here to Send chesco a Private Message Add chesco to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Soeder
Supreme tranceaddict

if they manage to use cole/brigde offensive on the left side i think that would be the best choice...i wouldn't take out any of the midfielders...they are all worldclass players

Old Post Jun-01-2004 23:45  Norway
Click Here to See the Profile for Soeder Click here to Send Soeder a Private Message Add Soeder to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
evil_bastard
Newcastle United

I believe England have the personnel to go very far in this tournament, but I doubt we will simply because Eriksson would rather play 'big name' players over players who are on form or players more suited to that position.

Personally I would drop Scholes. He hasn't been on form for his club and certainly not for his country. He's a big name, a great player indeed, but he's not undroppable he hasn't been good enough in the England shirt. My central midfield pairing would be Lampard and Gerrard, as both are on top of their game at the moment and full of confidence. Gerrard would have a more defensive duty, breaking up opposition attacks, spraying passes around the park and making late runs into the box. This is what Gerrard does best. This would free up Lampard to have a more offensive role, linking up well with the strikers and making and scoring goals, what Lampard does best. Beckham is our best right-sided midfielder and for all he is criticised his delivery is excellent and consistent. Thompson would be on the left-wing, he can consistently deliver from the left in his natural position and can defend. As I've already said I believe Bridge is better than Cole defensively and offensively and is more consistent.

My first-team for Euro 2004 would be:

James
Neville/Campbell/Terry/Bridge
Beckham/Lampard/Gerrard/Thompson
Rooney/Owen

In case of injuries, Parker would cover Gerrard's duties while Scholes would cover Lampard's duties.

Old Post Jun-02-2004 02:10  England
Click Here to See the Profile for evil_bastard Click here to Send evil_bastard a Private Message Add evil_bastard to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Ste
Planet Zogg Addict

england have stuart downing of middlesbrough as under 21 captian but he is still only 19 and not really experienced enough (or good enough yet) to take the first team left sided birth.

however i will be very suprised if lampard is stuck in there.

>>> Download my mix here <<< (Electro, Techno & Psy-Trance)

Old Post Jun-02-2004 08:51  England
Click Here to See the Profile for Ste Click here to Send Ste a Private Message Visit Ste's homepage! Add Ste to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Virus
yes

quote:
Originally posted by PacMan
thought it was decided that gerrard will be playin on the left side of the diamond formation :+\

and if youve seen gerrard play youll realize there is much difference on where he is on the pitch he delivers no matter what side he plays on.

and what you mean they cant dribble?
who needs dribling when they still get passed the player infront of em?

and did you see gerrards ball to owen against newcastle?

You need different attacking options. Theres alot of great passers in the English midfield. All of them (talking about Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard, Scholes) are great at delivery, but no one is really a player that can do things on their own and run with the ball (what a real winger does, i.e. Giggs, Figo etc).
Wingers are very good in counter attack situations with their pace for example.
Of course I have seen Gerrard play, but to say that it doesn't matter where he plays is just silly.

Thompson seems to be the best option on the left. Otherwise Sven could always go back to playing Heskey there
I don't know if I would drop Scholes, but Lampard has had a great season. Its a hard one to decide.

Old Post Jun-02-2004 09:00  Sweden
Click Here to See the Profile for Virus Click here to Send Virus a Private Message Add Virus to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
RubiK Cube
Aguamoose

Scholes needs droping, simple as that. Last nites match proved this as he did nothing again and is turning into the new Shearer, getting in to the team on reputation. England can then play a flat 4 across the middle of the park with either Gerrard/Hargreaves on the left, tho the best set up would be Gerraard in the middle with Ashley Cole on the left of midfield, as he showed last nite he is good a getting forward and taking on the right back.

Old Post Jun-02-2004 10:06  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for RubiK Cube Click here to Send RubiK Cube a Private Message Add RubiK Cube to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Archives > Classic old threads / Inactive Forums > UEFA Euro 2004 > England to reveal starting lineup for France game tonight
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackHelp id this track from tv [2004] [5]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackSchiller feat. Kim Sanders - "Dancing With Loneliness" (Sono's Fairground Mix) [2002]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread