Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Anthony Pappa vs. Danny Howells
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Mattsanity
Supreme tranceaddict

Who has better sets and mixes?

Last edited by Mattsanity on Jul-30-2021 at 03:18

Old Post Jul-30-2021 01:58  South Korea
Click Here to See the Profile for Mattsanity Click here to Send Mattsanity a Private Message Add Mattsanity to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
MR STROKE
Supreme tranceaddict

Pappa. Even if we assume the track listing is equal. Pappa is technically the better DJ by a long shot

Old Post Jul-30-2021 05:08  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for MR STROKE Click here to Send MR STROKE a Private Message Add MR STROKE to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

The only two "big" erstwhile prog DJs I've never seen live, although I am finally seeing Danny Howells in a couple of weeks.

Technically, Anthony Pappa is definitely better. In fact, he's just about as good as it gets from a technical standpoint- the guy didn't win the DMC World Championship by accident. Musically he perhaps didn't stand out from the crowd quite as much. Howells always had more of a funky bone, and as time has gone on he's refined a very distinctive disco-edged chunky sound. My only worry about seeing him in a club is whether he's now a bit too soft and funky to really peak a night. Guess I'll find out in two weeks.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Jul-30-2021 09:30  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lews
Platipus And Prog Addict

Pappa, easily.

Old Post Jul-30-2021 10:15 
Click Here to See the Profile for Lews Click here to Send Lews a Private Message Add Lews to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Scoops
4 bags deep

Howells will alwys have that epic closing set at ARC in 2004

but Pappa is better

Old Post Jul-30-2021 13:01 
Click Here to See the Profile for Scoops Click here to Send Scoops a Private Message Add Scoops to your buddy list Scoops is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SPANIARD
Supreme tranceaddict

This is a weird question if the context is over a 20 year span. They really were only comparable from about 1997 to 2003. Howells clearly went away from prog after that (his GU in Miami is the best evidence of that) and Pappa seemed to follow the tech house extravaganza that Digweed/Sasha etc were playing.

I think they're both extremely good in different ways. Pappa for his technical ability and Howells for his versatility in marathon sets. Those are the pros of each and they're both note worthy.

Subjectively, I would swing more to Pappa's end as his dark, tribal prog sets from 00-02 were legendary. He really tried to push it as far as it could go.

Old Post Jul-30-2021 16:40  Spain
Click Here to See the Profile for SPANIARD Click here to Send SPANIARD a Private Message Add SPANIARD to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mattsanity
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by SPANIARD
This is a weird question if the context is over a 20 year span. They really were only comparable from about 1997 to 2003. Howells clearly went away from prog after that (his GU in Miami is the best evidence of that) and Pappa seemed to follow the tech house extravaganza that Digweed/Sasha etc were playing.

But did Pappa and Howells shake off the 'prog dj' label? It's like a catch-all term to describe them but yeah, I didn't factor in a 20 year span

Old Post Jul-30-2021 20:45  South Korea
Click Here to See the Profile for Mattsanity Click here to Send Mattsanity a Private Message Add Mattsanity to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SPANIARD
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Mattsanity
But did Pappa and Howells shake off the 'prog dj' label?

Is it really relevant though? Most of the time those kinds of terms are ploys by promotion teams to bring in customers. I'm not even sure how they're billed any more nor does it really matter IMO.

Old Post Jul-31-2021 21:45  Spain
Click Here to See the Profile for SPANIARD Click here to Send SPANIARD a Private Message Add SPANIARD to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mattsanity
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by SPANIARD
Is it really relevant though? Most of the time those kinds of terms are ploys by promotion teams to bring in customers. I'm not even sure how they're billed any more nor does it really matter IMO.

If they're not comparable beyond 2003, then I guess not.

Last edited by Mattsanity on Aug-01-2021 at 11:47

Old Post Jul-31-2021 23:15  South Korea
DanceFloorPoet
Dance Floor Poet

quote:
Originally posted by Mattsanity
If they're not comparable beyond 2003, then I guess not.

What does Pappa do that is technical and impressive? I don’t know anything about him. Like a Zabiela type dj?

Old Post Aug-01-2021 16:27  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for DanceFloorPoet Click here to Send DanceFloorPoet a Private Message Add DanceFloorPoet to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mattsanity
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by DanceFloorPoet
What does Pappa do that is technical and impressive? I don’t know anything about him. Like a Zabiela type dj?

He did a 4 hour inflight mix for Emirates Airlines this past march and it's highly lauded for being a musical journey for the passengers.

https://www.mixcloud.com/anthonypap...mix-march-2021/

Old Post Aug-01-2021 19:14  South Korea
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

This is a real meeting of minds between you two, right here.

If you listen to Pappa's sets from the vinyl era, not only are his transitions very long, absolutely airtight and almost always in key (back before algorithms told you that kind of thing), but he wasn't averse to throwing in acapellas, doing little spinbacks and all kinds of other tricks you don't normally hear from prog DJs. Not ostentatious like Zabiela, almost more like an extremely talented DJ keeping himself entertained between mixes.

That said, Danny Howells was no slouch at smooth mixing either.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Aug-03-2021 07:51  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Anthony Pappa vs. Danny Howells
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackanyone knows this track?? [2006] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackLe Knight Club - Soul Bells [2006]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread