Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Hernan Cattaneo
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
MR STROKE
Supreme tranceaddict

Hernan Cattaneo

One of the few DJ anomalies that still manages to have a very consistent career. All while, never really changing his sound, image or haircut. And he's still consistently touring.

Even had a recent Cercle set on Youtube-

I don't know if he's considered the "Kenny G smooth Jazz" of his era for old ravers now a days, but it blows my mind he's still somewhat relevant in this day and age

Old Post Jul-14-2022 15:13  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for MR STROKE Click here to Send MR STROKE a Private Message Add MR STROKE to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

Re: Hernan Cattaneo

quote:
Originally posted by MR STROKE
I don't know if he's considered the "Kenny G smooth Jazz" of his era for old ravers now a days, but it blows my mind he's still somewhat relevant in this day and age

Which era would that be? He was something of a latecomer to the progressive A-list, only starting to break through outside of South America around 2001-2 when prog was about to hit the skids. He really became prominent in the mid-2000s when he was one of the only DJs not to abandon the sound and nurtured it through some very dark times.

I think his career has benefited from him being the biggest name in the famously ultra-passionate Argentinean club scene. He does shit with orchestras and plays enormous open air arena shows back home, and the social media clicks and mix compilation sales from that market has probably made it sufficiently lucrative for the likes of Cercle to give him a set or the likes of Balance and Renaissance to commission an endless sequence of CDs from him.

As a DJ, I've drifted away from this sound slightly in the last couple of years, but there's no doubt he does the melodic prog sound better than anyone. Technically he's as good as they come, and his flow is always faultlessly smooth. I've just found as dance music has swung back to faster, harder and more exciting territory his selections can sound a bit milquetoast by comparison. If he's playing a 6 hour set only the last couple of hours are where he really plays the bombs.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Jul-14-2022 18:02  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Scoops
4 bags deep

Hernan Cattaneo has a cult following. They follow him like a cult.

He can't even walk down the street in South America!!

Old Post Jul-14-2022 21:21 
Click Here to See the Profile for Scoops Click here to Send Scoops a Private Message Add Scoops to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
MR STROKE
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Scoops
Hernan Cattaneo has a cult following. They follow him like a cult.

He can't even walk down the street in South America!!

I've noticed he plays huge massive open to close sets in South America. Something you'd see Armin or Guetta playing in the states. Wild that he's that popular there, let alone that style of prog house still draws that many people

Old Post Jul-15-2022 18:53  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for MR STROKE Click here to Send MR STROKE a Private Message Add MR STROKE to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lews
Platipus And Prog Addict

I've seen him in London a number of times over the past decade and he is always the absolute best of the 'top shelf' prog/trance DJs still at it. How you can compare him to Kenny G is confusing, to say the least.

Old Post Jul-15-2022 19:14 
Click Here to See the Profile for Lews Click here to Send Lews a Private Message Add Lews to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sykonee
Supreme EMCritic

Now this thread's got me wondering who the Kenny G of prog/trance DJs is, and for some reason, Roger Shah/Sunlounger is the name that keeps popping in my mind. Don't know if that's really accurate, but whenever I think of tepid, light-weight, wafer-thin, 'smooth' music-for-the-masses...

(~)

Old Post Jul-16-2022 00:35  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Sykonee Click here to Send Sykonee a Private Message Visit Sykonee's homepage! Add Sykonee to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Scoops
4 bags deep

quote:
Originally posted by Sykonee
Now this thread's got me wondering who the Kenny G of prog/trance DJs is, and for some reason, Roger Shah/Sunlounger is the name that keeps popping in my mind. Don't know if that's really accurate, but whenever I think of tepid, light-weight, wafer-thin, 'smooth' music-for-the-masses...

ATB perhaps???

Old Post Jul-19-2022 00:09 
Click Here to See the Profile for Scoops Click here to Send Scoops a Private Message Add Scoops to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
OrangestO
–30–

I'll always have a soft spot for Hernan. His podcast was my introduction to the progressive sound. Tried to find that first episode I loved so much a decade ago but no luck. Enjoy his parties even he when isn't on his A game. People are fun and free and up for a dance. These days, I like him and Nick playing together more.

Old Post Jul-22-2022 11:08 
Click Here to See the Profile for OrangestO Click here to Send OrangestO a Private Message Add OrangestO to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
LoveHate

im not going to lie, i feel like i'd fall asleep at one of his shows, wake up 7 hours later and it would be more or less the same tempo playing. quite remarkable actually.

But I'm not saying he's not a good dj he certainly is , after Maradona & Messi he might be the hero of Argentina.

Last edited by LoveHate on Aug-15-2022 at 21:04

Old Post Aug-15-2022 20:18  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for LoveHate Click here to Send LoveHate a Private Message Add LoveHate to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
OrangestO
–30–

Guarantee you wouldn't fall asleep with us if you weren't a boring fuck to begin with. Hernan wouldn't let you doze either.

His marathons are class. You have to catch him on the right night in the right club. Stereo has been the place for me in the past.

That was some time ago, fair. And he's become a bit of a boat-party DJ. That said, he can still flex. When he's on, he's on. Bomb.

Old Post Aug-16-2022 21:16 
Click Here to See the Profile for OrangestO Click here to Send OrangestO a Private Message Add OrangestO to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
LoveHate

i agree, the right night , and the right crowd would make a difference. i still listen to his sets it is good background music. You can put it on while you are doing other things, and not be too distracted by it. It's like not too aggresive.

Old Post Aug-17-2022 00:27  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for LoveHate Click here to Send LoveHate a Private Message Add LoveHate to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

Cattaneo can blow a room to pieces, especially when he has a shorter peak time set. On a good system some of the driving prog he plays sounds monstrous.

I would agree that the early evening stuff he plays can be very ploddy, but he definitely doesn't stay in one gear all night.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Aug-17-2022 14:48  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Hernan Cattaneo
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackHardsyle remix (Gigi D'Agostino - Bla bla bla) [2015] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackPraise Cats - "Shined on Me" [2002]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread