Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - West Coast / Las Vegas > TranceAddicts Hear it All: Official Resource for Hearing Information and Protection!
Pages (8): « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
jonmitz
mixcloud.com/mitztronic

quote:
Originally posted by R!CH
i feel like that's the most retarded analogy ever drawn on this forum.

Old Post Oct-29-2008 03:57  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for jonmitz Click here to Send jonmitz a Private Message Add jonmitz to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
GPC
#trance

I got my Westones in and tried them out for the first time this weekend and the deliver as promised. Everything sounds completely natural just reduced in volume and being a bit of an audiophile, this is critical to me. I've tried the Etymotic Research ER-20's and the Hearos High Fidelity plugs in the past and always took them out after about 10 minutes because the music sounded so bad. I got the 25dB filters but I think that might be too much as music was just a little too quite although by the end of the night it seemed fine. Nice thing is the filters are very easy to remove so I can buy the 15dB filters and pop them into the earplugs. For the first time in along time, my ears aren't ringing monday morning after a weekend of clubbing.

Old Post Nov-24-2008 17:48  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for GPC Click here to Send GPC a Private Message Add GPC to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
rizo
rizoholic

bump. got new ear plugs for miami. er-20s still

Old Post Mar-20-2009 06:00 
Click Here to See the Profile for rizo Click here to Send rizo a Private Message Add rizo to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DaveT
NEED PERSONAL COPY-EDITOR

I must have super ears. I can't remember the last time I left a club/venue with my ears ringing. Seriously. The last time I can honestly remember is when I saw Armin and Markus played at the Henry Fonda Theater in LA in 2004. Wow, was the sound there aweful.

It must've done something to my ears, because befoer that if I was near a badly tuned system in SF, my ears would be ringing so bad I had a hard time hearing myself talk for a good day. Oh the days when Ten15 sound was scary loud lol.

I've been around badly tuned setups since then of course, but that's honestly the last time I left a place and noticed my ears were ringing.

Old Post Mar-20-2009 06:48  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for DaveT Click here to Send DaveT a Private Message Visit DaveT's homepage! Add DaveT to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
in2muzikk
Supreme tranceaddict

Added HearUSA to the list of audiology locations. It's a nationwide network and a TA friend of mine got his custom Musician earplugs fitted there.

Old Post May-05-2009 07:32  Germany
Click Here to See the Profile for in2muzikk Click here to Send in2muzikk a Private Message Add in2muzikk to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Nexxus
Supreme tranceaddict

I hope I didn't overlook something here but that was alot of reading =P but is there such a thing or someone working on something that's like a reverse hearing aid? I think that would be fricken awesome! or is a reverse hearing aid something more of science fiction?

Old Post May-05-2009 10:18  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Nexxus Click here to Send Nexxus a Private Message Add Nexxus to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
in2muzikk
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Nexxus
I hope I didn't overlook something here but that was alot of reading =P but is there such a thing or someone working on something that's like a reverse hearing aid? I think that would be fricken awesome! or is a reverse hearing aid something more of science fiction?

Yes, they do exist:

http://www.hearingresearch.org/Dr.Ross/Tinnitus.htm

Hyperacousis

Often, tinnitus does not appear alone, but in combination with hyperacousis, which is defined as an extreme sensitivity to environmental sounds. Some authorities believe that it may be the phobic reaction to the tinnitus that is primarily responsible for the acute sensitivity to sound, which then develops into hyperacousis. People with this problem may be reluctant to leave their homes because of their fear of being suddenly exposed to intolerably (for them) loud sounds. They may use earplugs or earmuffs to "protect" their hearing. Indeed, ten years ago I described in this journal a "reverse" hearing aid designed to reduce environmental sounds for people with hyperacousis. According to the rationale underlying TRT, these "remedial" steps were exactly the wrong procedure to use with such people. Instead of protecting them, all it does is increase their fear and anxiety about sound exposures.

~~~~~~

But, I believe such "reverse hearing aids" are used in normal volume situations like restaurants, at home, etc. Apparently they don't work so well then either.

A problem with trying to use something like this at a nightclub would be getting a good seal with the ear. Properly fitted foam earplugs form a sealed barrier that attenuates or reduces the volume. A foam earplug with an attenuation rating of 32-33db is the strongest ear protection you can get without wearing external earmuffs. Depending on how loud the sound is, this level of protection may or may not be enough. If it's not, unfortunately there's no way that any kind of hearing aid (which is not as tightly sealed) could do any better.

Old Post May-06-2009 06:45  Germany
Click Here to See the Profile for in2muzikk Click here to Send in2muzikk a Private Message Add in2muzikk to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
in2muzikk
Supreme tranceaddict

New iPhone SPL (Sound Pressure Level) Meter Apps!

I recently watched a YouTube video about Paul van Dyk's new iPhone DJ App (not available in the US yet as of this time), one feature of which was a sound meter. It actually turns out that the iPhone can be used as a fairly reliable sound meter!

I found several links to other iPhone sound meters that are currently available, so will list them below. Please keep in mind the following if you decide to get one:

• Apparently due to iPhone hardware limitations, clipping occurs when the sound level reaches 105db(C) or roughly 85db(A). As many nightclubs exceed this level, the meter may max out at 105db(C)/85db(A) when used at clubs.

• Accuracy of the meter depends on the iPhone's internal microphone. There's a calibration setting included with all of these SPL meters to adjust, but it's recommended to calibrate against a professionally calibrated meter before using.

• These meters are not up to ANSI professional standards (we're talking the iPhone here!), but I have read a number of reviews from people with $2,000+ professional meters that the iPhone reading is with 1.5-2db of the professional meter once it has been calibrated!

The great thing is that, subject to these limitations, you have an always-ready sound meter whenever you need it! Keeping in mind that they may not be super-precise, if using one of these meters at a club and the sound peaks at the 105db(C) or 85db(A) cutoff, this means that the sound level has exceeded 105db(C)/85db(A). Going back to the chart on the first page of this thread and the discussion about various earplugs, you can then find out which kind of earplugs offer the best protection.

Another thing to keep in mind is that since these meters cap off at 105db(C)/85db(A), you'll only know that the sound is louder than that. At such high volumes, the max permissible time before hearing damage occurs goes down by half for every 3db. If someone took a measurement with a professional sound meter and found the sound was 115db, for example, then the max exposure time should be divided in half approx. 3 more times to account for the difference.

Outside of a club, the meter could be used in the car, race car track, rock concert, or whatever to measure the sound.

ok, here's the list of iPhone SPL Meter apps (prices from 99 cents to $19.99, subject to change) that I have found so far:

SPL Meter

SPL Pro

SoundMeter

If you know of any more that work better, or have had experience using any of these, let me know and I will add them to the list!

Update: New developments with smartphone sound pressure level meter apps, including a study conducted by the CDC. See page 8 of this thread for details.

Last edited by in2muzikk on Jul-28-2014 at 08:37

Old Post May-11-2009 03:13  Germany
rizo
rizoholic

bas, sticky please!

Old Post Jun-01-2009 01:05 
Click Here to See the Profile for rizo Click here to Send rizo a Private Message Add rizo to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Dj Blurr
www.djblurr.com

quote:
Originally posted by DaveT
I must have super ears. I can't remember the last time I left a club/venue with my ears ringing.

I felt like this after I saw Armin at Ruby last year... You were there, The sound was way too loud tho that time. Maybe it was just the booth monitors? Kinda lasted 2 days

And yes I remember the days over at 10 when the sound was louder than shit.

This time around, 10 has some tuneage and the soundweb is much cleaner. The sound hasnt gotten softer, just better over time.

I am considering wearing earplugs when I dj tho, and when I go out on the weekend especially since im there pretty much every weekend. Im noticing sound is becoming more muffled for me sometimes.

How many Djs here on TA and abroad Dj with Earplugs tho? Seen Armin, Joof, Ferry and Tiesto wear plugs, also Rank1 too. I tried it here in the studio and its kinda weird for me. Just wondering if anyone feels weird wearing them too?

Anyone recommend any good earplugs? I thought there was a post on here about earplugs before...

Old Post Jun-01-2009 06:39  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Dj Blurr Click here to Send Dj Blurr a Private Message Visit Dj Blurr's homepage! Add Dj Blurr to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
rizo
rizoholic

quote:
Originally posted by rizo
ordered some new pairs of ER20s but anyone tried or use Alpine MusicSafe Natural Sound Professional Musician's Ear Plugs?

didnt know i posted about these before but a friend got me these for xmas. they've been fantastic and more comfortable than the er-20s!

def worth the $30 or however much friend got em for http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/alnasoearpl.html

Old Post Jun-20-2010 04:31 
fantasyexctasy
Supreme tranceaddict

I work as a surgical tech and work with a lot of ENT doctors. Dr. Batniji is the lead doctor when it comes to ears in SoCal. We were discussing hearing loss one day and I asked him regarding speakers at concerts. Basically, even in a stadium setting, your hearing can go even if you don't think you really are that close.

I've been wearing ear plugs for years now at clubs and thank god I have. I forgot mine the other day at the Mayan and thought my ears were going to pop. They really need to sell ear plugs in clubs.

Old Post Jun-20-2010 07:47  Palestine
Click Here to See the Profile for fantasyexctasy Click here to Send fantasyexctasy a Private Message Add fantasyexctasy to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - West Coast / Las Vegas > TranceAddicts Hear it All: Official Resource for Hearing Information and Protection!
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (8): « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackTrack # 15 From Global DJ Broadcast 01-12-06 [2006] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackAyu - Connected (Push's Instrumental Dub Remix) [2007]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread