Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > World Cup 2022 Thread
Pages (16): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Lira
Ancient BassAddict

As someone who likes maths, I'm disappointed I couldn't see the Saudi upset coming. As a Brazilian, I'm loving every minute of it
quote:
Originally posted by Midlothian
Lira: croquettes au chicken surely can't be right

What do you mean? It's from Colonel Richard D. Sanders' KFX commercials, it's windowlickin' good

Ps.: In case the screen is too small for you to see my avatar and get the reference, KFC Spain posted a picture of Colonel Sanders as Aphex Twin November last year. To this day, no one knows what on earth KFC's social media executives had in mind, but I approve of their message.

Last edited by Lira on Nov-22-2022 at 15:57

Old Post Nov-22-2022 14:13  Brazil
Click Here to See the Profile for Lira Click here to Send Lira a Private Message Visit Lira's homepage! Add Lira to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

Of course the statistical analysis wouldn't see a result like that coming, because it was so anomalous: huge ranking gap between the teams, Argentina on a very long unbeaten streak and also having not conceded a goal for a number of games. For them to go a goal up and then throw it away against a side 50th in the FIFA rankings basically goes against every trend.

In the first half, it looked like it would be every bit the turkey shoot you'd expect: Argentina went a goal up early and had three more ruled out for offsides (two very tight) in quick succession, with the Saudis playing an extremely high line as they attempted to press the midfield. Argentina were playing in second gear, and it seemed only a matter of time before they'd beat the offside flag and rack up a big scoreline.

But this is football, and what happened? The Saudis scored twice in quick succession with pretty much their only shots on target, and suddenly Argentina had to shift from that lazy, energy-conserving second gear to "Shit, we need a goal fast!" They panicked, and the quality of their passing abandoned them. They began resorting to crosses into the box when all their forwards are pretty small in stature and not very threatening in the air. And dare I say it, but Messi had another one of those games where he didn't rise to the challenge when things got tough. Very interesting to see where they go from here. This should have been the easiest game of the group, and now the pressure is on.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Last edited by SYSTEM-J on Nov-22-2022 at 18:42

Old Post Nov-22-2022 15:58  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lira
Ancient BassAddict

I mean, sure, you're right it may have been an unforeseeable one-off, but I'm still kind of kicking myself for having considered court advantage to every single Persian gulf country... except for Saudi Arabia

Besides, we may possibly be underestimating the plucky Saudis a wee bit here and a patter might emerge. They did finish first in their AFC group after all, having defeated better ranked middle-of-the-pack teams such as Japan and Australia. There was no way I'd see them defeating either Poland or Mexico before yesterday but, you know what? Cameroon went all the way to the quarter-finals in 1990 after beating Argentina and Romania in what seemed like a fluke at the time (only Costa Rica, UAE and the US had lower ELO rankings, much like only Cameroon and Ghana were the only teams worse ranked than Saudi Arabia this time around). So that's not even a first for Argentina, funnily enough.

Edit: If we live in a world where Saudi Arabia can beat Argentina and Japan is able to defeat Argentina, screw everything, I'm going to Gwanghwamun tomorrow/later today see South Korea thrash Uruguay! To hell with logic

Last edited by Lira on Nov-23-2022 at 15:55

Old Post Nov-23-2022 11:06  Brazil
Click Here to See the Profile for Lira Click here to Send Lira a Private Message Visit Lira's homepage! Add Lira to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
planetaryplayer
Surpeme traineanddict

it's almost time for canada to join the trend of upsetting the better team in their opening match. wtf germany?!

Old Post Nov-23-2022 17:10  Norfolk Island
Click Here to See the Profile for planetaryplayer Click here to Send planetaryplayer a Private Message Add planetaryplayer to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
OrangestO
–30–

Canada should've gotten at least a point. Gutted for them. They played well and were an exciting watch but couldn't finish to save their lives. Wtf was that penalty?!

Old Post Nov-24-2022 05:03 
Click Here to See the Profile for OrangestO Click here to Send OrangestO a Private Message Add OrangestO to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
planetaryplayer
Surpeme traineanddict

quote:
Originally posted by OrangestO
Canada should've gotten at least a point. Gutted for them. They played well and were an exciting watch but couldn't finish to save their lives. Wtf was that penalty?!

they could have potentially had a second penalty, but should have scored the first and on another cross. they played as good as they could have but as you said could not finish. going forward it looks like they'll need a singular moment of brilliance to score

Old Post Nov-24-2022 17:34  Norfolk Island
Click Here to See the Profile for planetaryplayer Click here to Send planetaryplayer a Private Message Add planetaryplayer to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

As is probably fitting for a winter World Cup, I've had a bad tonsil infection this week and have watched most of the games on my laptop in bed through a kind of vague delirium, which has made some of the shock results feel part of a fever dream.

Anyway, I'm watching the England - USA match in bed once again because the antibiotics haven't started working their magic yet. We've had a few slick attacking moments but have been pretty boring to watch for the most part. My main takeaway is that English players look so much more tactically intelligent than they used to. The Americans have been well organised and have pressed very energetically. As against Wales though, the quality at the sharp end of the pitch just hasn't been there so far.

Old Post Nov-25-2022 19:55  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

Final verdict: what a complete turd of a game that was. It was only at the end when I realised we basically have to lose 6-0 to Wales in the final game to fail to qualify from the group that I understood why we'd made no effort whatsoever to win the match.

Old Post Nov-25-2022 21:38  England
Lira
Ancient BassAddict

Lady and gentlemen,

I have just three words to say: Coo-coo, mere mortals!!!

For we, who have the Pigeon, fear no Saudis, no Japanese, and no gravity. We do fear the extremely optimistic odds though, as 538 now says we have a 1 in 4 chance of winning the whole thing. The only time we won as runaway favourites was in 1962, so I may have to see an orthopaedist if I keep crossing my fingers this hard.

Old Post Nov-26-2022 06:02  Brazil
Midlothian
Reaping the percussions

quote:
Originally posted by Lira
KFC Spain posted a picture of Colonel Sanders as Aphex Twin November last year. To this day, no one knows what on earth KFC's social media executives had in mind, but I approve of their message.

Lol

Old Post Nov-26-2022 09:33  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Midlothian Click here to Send Midlothian a Private Message Add Midlothian to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

The antibiotics have kicked in this morning and I can think straight again. We'd have to lose to Wales by at least 3-0, not 6-0, as quite obviously a goal against us would be a goal for them on the GD. My mistake.

quote:
Originally posted by Lira
For we, who have the Pigeon, fear no Saudis, no Japanese, and no gravity. We do fear the extremely optimistic odds though, as 538 now says we have a 1 in 4 chance of winning the whole thing. The only time we won as runaway favourites was in 1962, so I may have to see an orthopaedist if I keep crossing my fingers this hard.

I suppose the odds have increased because a couple of pre-tournament contenders have had shock defeats and almost nobody has had a statement performance yet. Even the big wins (England, France, Spain) have been against relative minnows, and as England showed last night we're more than capable of reverting to our usual level of bland stodgy solidness.

The main thing I'll say about Brazil is that (whisper it) I thought you looked far, far better after Neymar went off injured. For me he gets too much freedom from Tite to wander all over the pitch and too often he actually slows the play down. Brazil have got so many attacking options with a point to prove. Martinelli and Rodrygo looked really direct when they came on. I wouldn't be surprised if you blaze through the next two group games while Neymar is injured and then decline in form once he comes back into the side.

Old Post Nov-26-2022 10:22  England
OrangestO
–30–

Feel rather fortunate but a massive three points for Poland. Definitely a confidence booster. Fear that won't be enough and we'll need a result against the Argentinians. Would be our luck.

Old Post Nov-26-2022 15:15 
Click Here to See the Profile for OrangestO Click here to Send OrangestO a Private Message Add OrangestO to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > World Cup 2022 Thread
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (16): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackGood track needs id! [2007] [4]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackMichel de Hey & M.I.R.K.O - 5th Business Day (Nic Fanciulli Remix) [2011]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread