Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Building a house - speaker question
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Swamper
Webmonstah

I find audio components to be the greatest money pit for the average person who doesn't bother to research things. You can buy a ridiculously powerful/expensive subwoofer for your room but if the room is small AND you don't even know about frequency range or crossovers then you're wasting $. So many ppl just plug things in and don't change the default settings lol

"In a world of illusion you only see what you feel"

Old Post Jan-23-2022 18:16  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Swamper Click here to Send Swamper a Private Message Visit Swamper's homepage! Add Swamper to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Silky Johnson
International Playa Hater

If only RANN was still here.

Old Post Jan-24-2022 21:13 
Click Here to See the Profile for Silky Johnson Click here to Send Silky Johnson a Private Message Add Silky Johnson to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Zoso
Banging Gangs!

Yes hello. Is this house built yet? I feel like I should have received my house party invitation by now.

Old Post Jan-25-2022 15:02  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Zoso Click here to Send Zoso a Private Message Add Zoso to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
_Ocean_Drive_
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by r5a
for the most part yes, your AVR receiver should be able to switch to direct mode and just play on the sub + FR and FL anyway which is what you'll end up doing 99%. receivers can upmix it to 7.1 but it's not great. to be honest, Sonos is the only brand I've ever listened to Music on and actually said "holy shit the upmixing makes a huge difference"

All your Marantz, Denon and shit license the same Dolby / DTS chips that have that PLxx upmixing shit that I was talking about. Sonos only pays Dolby but they don't license the upmixing portion, that is their own in house shit that works good. but sonos has a gang of their own problems and shit, they are the apple of the home theatre world, it's bullshit.

Realistically though, since you're a new build just go for a ballin home theatre setup. focus on that and then the music part of it is just an added kicker. look at avsforum.org for advice on that. DTS/Dolby have some reference diagrams on where you should do your "ideal" placements in a totally new setup you could factor into your architect's diagrams.

source: me owning sonos arc and surrounds and dumping my childhood earnings into all sorts of home theatre equipment and reading AVSforum

Thanks for this. Kinda aligns with the articles I've come across.

It does seem like adecent home theatre setup is the way forward, although, I did recently read a review of Sennheiser AMBEO Soundbar...

quote:
Originally posted by Swamper
I find audio components to be the greatest money pit for the average person who doesn't bother to research things. You can buy a ridiculously powerful/expensive subwoofer for your room but if the room is small AND you don't even know about frequency range or crossovers then you're wasting $. So many ppl just plug things in and don't change the default settings lol

The room is going to a big downstairs open plan. Separates would for me, be absolutely the way to go. ALthough as I said above, I read reviews of a Sennheiser soundbar which would solve a lot of dithering and indecisiveness.

quote:
Originally posted by Zoso
Yes hello. Is this house built yet? I feel like I should have received my house party invitation by now.

Opening in March 2023...

There's a word that sums up this sort of behaviour, and that word is 'reject.'

Old Post Feb-18-2022 00:31  Japan
Click Here to See the Profile for _Ocean_Drive_ Click here to Send _Ocean_Drive_ a Private Message Add _Ocean_Drive_ to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Zoso
Banging Gangs!

I have the date reserved in my Outlook Calendar.

Old Post Feb-18-2022 19:57  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Zoso Click here to Send Zoso a Private Message Add Zoso to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
r5a
snake inverter

quote:
Originally posted by _Ocean_Drive_
Thanks for this. Kinda aligns with the articles I've come across.

It does seem like adecent home theatre setup is the way forward, although, I did recently read a review of Sennheiser AMBEO Soundbar...

no problem man.

i did see the ambeo soundbar but I'm against it. I have a personal rule that over 1k for a soundbar you probably reach well past into the territory of diminishing returns. if you're going to drop that munch for a soundbar, you might as well get a full receiver + speaker setup. these soundbars all the speakers are isolated in one physical location. I don't really care what anyone says but there will always be a world of difference when the speakers are physically placed around you compared to just being contained in front of you. my arc setup went WAY better having the paired surrounds than just the arc itself. you simply can't beat the physics of having the sound travel from different locations to your ears, it makes a difference. and the fact that the ambeo has no satellites or supports for it is pretty much a nail in the coffin.

rtings is a really good review site https://www.rtings.com/soundbar/rev.../ambeo-soundbar

they give it a solid rating sure but i can almost guarantee if you put that money into a cheap av 5.1 package it will beat it

Old Post Feb-22-2022 22:45  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for r5a Click here to Send r5a a Private Message Add r5a to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Colossal
tranceaddict in training

For good sound quality, you can look at the features of the following systems -
Sony HT-RT3: its sound system is very good but it gives a much better experience for gaming purpose
Nakamichi Shockwafe Ultra 9.2.4: This is my personal favorite (cuz this is the only one that I had personally experienced). With dolby atmos, it's easily accessible and great for movies and TV. Also has a long list of positive reviews.
Sonos Soundbar Surround Set: awesome clarity, features and killing good sound quality
Samsung HW-Q950A Soundbar System: dolby atmos with integrating upfiring speakers. This actually seems great if gone through the specs, also as mentioned by my paper writer it gives the perfect sync if connected with Samsung TV
Bose Soundbar 900 Home Theater Set: it has a 7 speaker arrangement, voice enabled and HQ sound system just as your requirement

Old Post May-16-2022 11:49  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for Colossal Click here to Send Colossal a Private Message Add Colossal to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
_Ocean_Drive_
Supreme tranceaddict

Thanks for the replies.
My housemaker has thrown in 5 JBL ceiling speakers for free, so I've decided to go for an Atmos setup

Amp: Denon AVR-X6700H
Floor speakers: DALI Oberon 9
Sub-woofer: DALI SUB E-9 F
Middle speaker: DALI OBERON VOKAL
Rear wall: DALI Oberon Onwall

Cable The Chord Company SARSEN SPEAKERCABLE (for Atmos, 'cos I need 80m and it ain't gonna be cheap) I may get something fancier for the floor speakers, though

For regular music, I'm just gonna use my old Denon cd player.

Old Post May-21-2022 08:06  Japan
Click Here to See the Profile for _Ocean_Drive_ Click here to Send _Ocean_Drive_ a Private Message Add _Ocean_Drive_ to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mmanu
Green Pea

Running an custom upgraded Arcam 7.1 paired with some Rogers speakers. 2 more home made custom speakers for anything stereo, Audioquest cables for the speakers, and everything else is wired in optical. Did not break the bank, got some major value for money. Movies or music, it does the job and does it well. I previously tried loads of other major brands of amps since the 90s.

quote:
Originally posted by r5a
receivers can upmix it to 7.1 but it's not great. to be honest,

Mine is bluffing, just played some old Top Gear DVD, my media player upgrading to 1080p and the amp upgrading from stereo to a DTS Neo 6 mix. 10 years ago I was convinced it would be impossible to do this, a bit like extracting water from a stone. I started buying loads of music DVD and Blurays after getting that amp.

"Wrong speed, we've got it on the wrong speed. For those of you who are recovering from a hangover, that's gonna sound just right. "
- Robin Williams

Old Post Jun-03-2022 12:14  France
Click Here to See the Profile for Mmanu Click here to Send Mmanu a Private Message Add Mmanu to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
itsamemario
Divine Angel

Ive paid in total about 1100 usd + aboot 100 for the m-audio unit i use to connect the speakers to, and Id def get that for listening...

Ive got two mackie mr8s laying on the side with the subs in toward center, two prodipe 5 inch somethings (thought i was buying the ones with the ribbon tweets 2nd hand, but alas was regular paper tweets when i went to get them haha) and then two genelec 8020a's. got the 5 inchers pointing right at me with the 8020s shooting the sound out a little wider. sounds like cream in my ears after having done the right settings on the fucking roll-offs and cuts... got one dial for the mid/bass and one for the highs that come outta the 'lecs. sounds awwwwwesome. its like mixing/producing inside a club, gurning up against the speakers style.. so loud, so clear, so punchy..

quote:

ALFI - BOHICA - DJ MIX (Stream+Dropbox)

Old Post Jun-04-2022 07:31  Norway
Click Here to See the Profile for itsamemario Click here to Send itsamemario a Private Message Visit itsamemario's homepage! Add itsamemario to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Zoso
Banging Gangs!

quote:
Originally posted by _Ocean_Drive_
Thanks for the replies.
My housemaker has thrown in 5 JBL ceiling speakers for free, so I've decided to go for an Atmos setup

Amp: Denon AVR-X6700H
Floor speakers: DALI Oberon 9
Sub-woofer: DALI SUB E-9 F
Middle speaker: DALI OBERON VOKAL
Rear wall: DALI Oberon Onwall

Cable The Chord Company SARSEN SPEAKERCABLE (for Atmos, 'cos I need 80m and it ain't gonna be cheap) I may get something fancier for the floor speakers, though

For regular music, I'm just gonna use my old Denon cd player.

Sounds fabulous! My next upgrade will be a sound upgrade. We've got relatively limited space, so it will be some type of sound bar upgrade, which although not ideal can still yield some pretty good results. I'll probably wait until this fall/winter, but that will give me time for some research. I don't have a ton of Atmos UHD BDs, and I have only upgraded a select portion of my existing BD ROM collection. However, I've noticed Atmos is getting quite popular on streaming services, though from what I understand it's a sort of stripped down version of Atmos.

Old Post Jul-05-2022 15:53  United States
_Ocean_Drive_
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Sounds fabulous! My next upgrade will be a sound upgrade. We've got relatively limited space, so it will be some type of sound bar upgrade, which although not ideal can still yield some pretty good results. I'll probably wait until this fall/winter, but that will give me time for some research. I don't have a ton of Atmos UHD BDs, and I have only upgraded a select portion of my existing BD ROM collection.

Thanks! Dfecided to go with a 5.1.4 setup. It'll never get bigger than this 'cos I don't have the space, money, willpower, or desire for anything more - I think this'll be decent enough

quote:
However, I've noticed Atmos is getting quite popular on streaming services, though from what I understand it's a sort of stripped down version of Atmos.

How do you 'strip down' Atmos? To what?

Old Post Jul-06-2022 13:20  Japan

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Building a house - speaker question
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbacktiv2002 ID [2007] [2]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackBreeze - Out Of My Life [2002]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread