Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > real trance
Pages (49): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Masken
tranceaddict in training

Probably very politically incorrect, but since this is all very personal anyhow, I had to post this one. For me, personally, this is one of the best trance tracks (and Kay Cee's mix) ever made.

Old Post Jan-10-2010 14:08 
Click Here to See the Profile for Masken Click here to Send Masken a Private Message Add Masken to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

quote:
Originally posted by floyd741
More like 90-96, imo. I like to think that trance started after the Berlin Wall came down.

Real trance has never stopped being made.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Jan-10-2010 14:14  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJSoulstone
Supreme tranceaddict

DJ Soulstone - Summer Solstice 2012 [Goa/Full-On]

Old Post Jan-10-2010 17:09  Germany
Click Here to See the Profile for DJSoulstone Click here to Send DJSoulstone a Private Message Add DJSoulstone to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Trance-M
Since 1994 tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by RebeL9
It wasn't.
I recall an interview with the trance duo Earthbound, who were big here in Sweden in the end of 90s. Their track One Nation Trance Nation did well here on the radios: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdDRPZVgxS0

In the interview they said "most of the stuff being made today, including our own tracks are not real trance, now we are gonna play a mix with real trance." Then they banged out a wicked set with Odysee of Noises - Firedance, Vernons Wonderland among others.

Sorry, but I think it's not always clear if people are talking about feelings or opinion or technical. I rather see the technical approach, but I can understand what they mean with 'real trance'. That trance became more popular and by that more track sounded more or less the same don't make those track less trance. Yes they sound different and certain rhythms and instrument were popular at a certain time. Nation Trance Nation has a sound which was very popular back then which started a few year earlier.
You can find this back in tracks of DJ Quicksilver, Brooklyn Bounce, Red5 and more producers with a very commercial aim.

Is this a trance track which was made in the real trance period but wasn't real trance then?

By the way, there was a lot of variation in Trance, I guess there is too much focus on certain track of that time. IMO too much to ID those track as 'real trance' or not. I often imagine if I would have liked a modern trance track back in the 90's. Most of the time the answer is "Hell yeh".

Here another unreal trance track then of 1997 (used to be played a bit faster):

And then compared to DJ Dave Davis - Transfiguration 1996 even with Bonzai bass to me is real trance.

Do many of todays track sound less trance then this, well not to me really:

Longest (classic) Trance playlist on YouTube (5000 tracks released up to and including 1997), click here

Last edited by Trance-M on Jan-10-2010 at 20:23

Old Post Jan-10-2010 20:03  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Trance-M Click here to Send Trance-M a Private Message Add Trance-M to your buddy list Trance-M is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Trance-M
Since 1994 tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by identity7
It wasn't. It was closer to commercial euro-dance with cheesy "big room" leads of that time more than to anything else.
Granted Ferry's stuff wasn't bad, it just wasn't trance.

If you had a time machine you could go and check that. I can't remember anyone telling that wasn't trance back then really. Easy to say that many years later it's was closer to something else. But then many Bonzai track were closer to Happy Hardcore I guess...

quote:

There wasn't any real development in equipment either, vintage analogue synths will hold the top spot when it comes to the quality of electronic sound - VSTs just made music-making too accessible for the untalented masses.

I think VST's was much later. The number of tracks playing together and synthesizers steered by pc's really developped in the 90's. Don't think there is an need for more since 2000. In the 90's for sure there was need for more.

quote:

There is no trance of that time or trance of this time. There are only shades of quality and the amount of commercialization.
Like Union Jack - Papillon. It's from 2009 and it's perfectly trance.

Quality depend on how you look at it and there certainly is trance of a certain time, but it sort of ended changing, developing. But why would that be?
Just one track is needed to prove that 'real trance' is still being made, but I think there are many more. But I rather call it trance which could have been made in the mid 90's. I like Papillon, but did it blow me away and make me say "Yes, after 15 year a real trance track"? Guess not.

Imagine you could timewarp Corderoy - Kyree (Club mix) to 1994. I refuse to believe people wouldn't have found this amazing.

Longest (classic) Trance playlist on YouTube (5000 tracks released up to and including 1997), click here

Last edited by Trance-M on Jan-10-2010 at 20:50

Old Post Jan-10-2010 20:39  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Trance-M Click here to Send Trance-M a Private Message Add Trance-M to your buddy list Trance-M is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Redd
decent idiot

quote:
Originally posted by Trance-MB
Imagine you could timewarp Corderoy - Kyree (Club mix) to 1994. I refuse to believe people wouldn't have found this amazing.

This doesn't have anything to do with the discussion about "real trance". Or are you saying that since people would like it back then it has to be real trance? Doesn't make sense to me

Klangkarussell - Sternenkinder

Old Post Jan-10-2010 22:48  Norway
Click Here to See the Profile for Redd Click here to Send Redd a Private Message Add Redd to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
identity7
Junior tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Trance-MB
If you had a time machine you could go and check that. I can't remember anyone telling that wasn't trance back then really. Easy to say that many years later it's was closer to something else. But then many Bonzai track were closer to Happy Hardcore I guess...

Oliver Lieb hated on Robert Miles since '96 when he released Children and called it the new pop-format that killed trance (knowing how many people jumped on the bandwagon cloning Miles there is some truth to that). You can find that in nearly every interview of his since 96.

And yeah Ferry was only called trance due to marketing - in the exactly same way why Miles (before he quit), Tiesto, Armin and what they spin now is called trance. It's a big commercial name, it's cool, people like what's cool and they of course don't understand what is trance so it's win-win.

quote:

I think VST's was much later. The number of tracks playing together and synthesizers steered by pc's really developped in the 90's. Don't think there is an need for more since 2000. In the 90's for sure there was need for more.

In terms of sound the development ended long long ago. In terms of accessibility - of course it became better. With side-effects that we can see now.

quote:

Quality depend on how you look at it and there certainly is trance of a certain time, but it sort of ended changing, developing.

Quality depends on how you make it. When everything sounds the same (e.g. modern "trance") it isn't quality, it's just MTV-of-electronic-music. There is format and people copy it again again and again.
Just because it has 4/4 beat and a melody doesn't make it trance.

"Developing" is when something becomes better or evolve. Trance just died, no amount of J00F's, Ultimae's and Platipus releases will save it. And what you call "trance" stands in the same place for like 7+ years now. I only hope the name will die too. Trance became a dirty word, I know people who go like "trance? Isn't it like that ugly pop with songs and stuff, meh". Can't blame them.

quote:

Just one track is needed to prove that 'real trance' is still being made, but I think there are many more.

It's being made and there is more, but it's just a very small fraction of how it should be.

quote:
But I rather call it trance which could have been made in the mid 90's. I like Papillon, but did it blow me away and make me say "Yes, after 15 year a real trance track"? Guess not.

Of course it shouldn't blow you away. Trance is not about standing in the club putting hands up in the air for 5 minutes during long boring breakdowns. Date has nothing to do with it, trance is just a different music from what you may like.

Last edited by identity7 on Jan-10-2010 at 23:59

Old Post Jan-10-2010 23:21  Ukraine
Click Here to See the Profile for identity7 Click here to Send identity7 a Private Message Add identity7 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
PETRAN
Like Antennas To Heaven

This thread is made every year or so with the same tracks posted over and over again, although with a progressive shift (i think) towards the more melodic/epic stuff (leading to the fact hat classic trance is ultimately forgotten? Possibly)

And lets not forget some classic trance names like Resistance D, Microbots, Cybordelics, Cygnus-X and Brainchild, Pete Namlook projects and genrally all the Harthouse, MFS, Office records, Eye-Q, Superstition stuff bla bla bla

Now what you are saying about "real trance" dying has been said countless times before in this forum and it is to a certain extend true. "Classic Trance" is surely dead, meaning that the style of those tracks is not made nowadays. But genres are not steady and rigid entities but abstract concepts and memes that dynamically change. Trance has changed from the "classic" german sound to "epic", "melodic", "euphoric", "uplifting"-call it what you want- in the same way that rock'n'roll and elvis has changed to rolling stones, to pink floyd, to joy division,to nirvana, to my bloody valentine, to sigur ros to countless completely different things which come under the "rock" umbrella, some completely different and contrasting to what "real" rock'n'roll was all about. In trance, some guys were paying more attention to the melodic/arpeggio aspect. Further "euroish" and "brit-prog" influences were progressively making the sound more melodic, leading to the sound that we call "epic" or "uplifting" trance today. The end-result is very different from the "classic german stuff", but it is still a type of trance music since it partly developed from that early genre. No one would say that the dramatic and slow shoegaze rock (in which music is made through heavy wall-of-sound type distortions) is in any way related (musically ad conceptually) to early rhythmical "feel-good" rock'n'roll. But no one would also argue that shoegaze-rock is not "true" rock". It is not the classic rock'' roll-sure- but it is a type of rock music since the general consensus has agreed on that as the rock influences were evolving through-out the years. So i wouldn't say that modern "epic" stuff is not "real" trance, it is just not "classic trance". Its s different sub-genre that evolved form that early now-dead genre. Like Miles Davis "cool jazz" which is not very similar to early "swing-jazz" and countless other examples. It happens in music all the time.

Old Post Jan-11-2010 09:29  Greece
Click Here to See the Profile for PETRAN Click here to Send PETRAN a Private Message Add PETRAN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
floyd741
addict

quote:
Originally posted by PETRAN
MFS

fuck yeah

Old Post Jan-11-2010 13:40  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for floyd741 Click here to Send floyd741 a Private Message Add floyd741 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Barachem
Senior tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Mattinsanity
earlier trance from 92-95 was "real" trance. the rest after that were fabricated formulatic BS.

Yes, YES, show the world how much of pretentious fanboy you are in shouting out your exclusivistic claims.
All goes according to plan.

quote:
This thread is made every year or so with the same tracks posted over and over again, although with a progressive shift (i think) towards the more melodic/epic stuff (leading to the fact hat classic trance is ultimately forgotten? Possibly)

And lets not forget some classic trance names like Resistance D, Microbots, Cybordelics, Cygnus-X and Brainchild, Pete Namlook projects and genrally all the Harthouse, MFS, Office records, Eye-Q, Superstition stuff bla bla bla

Now what you are saying about "real trance" dying has been said countless times before in this forum and it is to a certain extend true. "Classic Trance" is surely dead, meaning that the style of those tracks is not made nowadays. But genres are not steady and rigid entities but abstract concepts and memes that dynamically change. Trance has changed from the "classic" german sound to "epic", "melodic", "euphoric", "uplifting"-call it what you want- in the same way that rock'n'roll and elvis has changed to rolling stones, to pink floyd, to joy division,to nirvana, to my bloody valentine, to sigur ros to countless completely different things which come under the "rock" umbrella, some completely different and contrasting to what "real" rock'n'roll was all about. In trance, some guys were paying more attention to the melodic/arpeggio aspect. Further "euroish" and "brit-prog" influences were progressively making the sound more melodic, leading to the sound that we call "epic" or "uplifting" trance today. The end-result is very different from the "classic german stuff", but it is still a type of trance music since it partly developed from that early genre. No one would say that the dramatic and slow shoegaze rock (in which music is made through heavy wall-of-sound type distortions) is in any way related (musically ad conceptually) to early rhythmical "feel-good" rock'n'roll. But no one would also argue that shoegaze-rock is not "true" rock". It is not the classic rock'' roll-sure- but it is a type of rock music since the general consensus has agreed on that as the rock influences were evolving through-out the years. So i wouldn't say that modern "epic" stuff is not "real" trance, it is just not "classic trance". Its s different sub-genre that evolved form that early now-dead genre. Like Miles Davis "cool jazz" which is not very similar to early "swing-jazz" and countless other examples. It happens in music all the time.

Best post i read in this thread.
I clearly shows why many of the "real" trance propagators are just exclusivist elitistic pricks.

Old Post Jan-11-2010 16:39  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Barachem Click here to Send Barachem a Private Message Visit Barachem's homepage! Add Barachem to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Woony
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:

Best post in this thrad. Not much to add here.

Old Post Jan-11-2010 16:56 
Click Here to See the Profile for Woony Click here to Send Woony a Private Message Add Woony to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

quote:
Now what you are saying about "real trance" dying has been said countless times before in this forum and it is to a certain extend true. "Classic Trance" is surely dead, meaning that the style of those tracks is not made nowadays. But genres are not steady and rigid entities but abstract concepts and memes that dynamically change.

It's not anywhere near as simple as that.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Jan-11-2010 21:05  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > real trance
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (49): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackProgressive, Kleinenberg played [2004] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackTerra Ferma - "The Adventures Of..." [2003]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread