Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Social Media
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

Still on Facebook. Mainly for the finding club nights, but now I'm single and I've moved to a different part of the country I've found myself looking at it more often again to see what friends are up to.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Aug-28-2021 08:10  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Syntonic
Artcore Addict

Just in case people don't know or forgot:

quote:

Zuck: Yeah so if you ever need info about anyone at Harvard

Zuck: Just ask.

Zuck: I have over 4,000 emails, pictures, addresses, SNS

[Redacted Friend's Name]: What? How'd you manage that one?

Zuck: People just submitted it.

Zuck: I don't know why.

Zuck: They "trust me"

Zuck: Dumb fucks.

https://www.businessinsider.com/wel...ems-2010-5?IR=T

I think that sums up my feelings about facebook. He hasn't change my either, still a devious and all-around creep. He can't handle answering questions.

This might be interesting to some after a lot of facebook buzz has calmed down and they're bleeding money.

Full interview:

Old & New Electronic Music Channel
Soundcloud Mixes

Old Post Aug-28-2021 18:25  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Syntonic Click here to Send Syntonic a Private Message Add Syntonic to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lira
Ancient BassAddict

Ever since I became a professor, social media has pretty much been the only way I've managed to keep in touch with everyone not on campus, with family time (and, in the past, gym workouts) being what I did in my free time.

So I use Facebook to see how my friends (on-line and otherwise) are doing, and I have an Instagram for the-band-I-might-have-one-day, and I sometimes lurk because my younger friends seem to use it far more than Facebook. I don't mind politics unless they start flooding my newsfeed, and that's when I put someone on snooze. I've unfollowed very few people.

I am, however, vehemently opposed to WhatsApp. The whole designed seemed irreparably flawed from the start, and there's absolutely no way in hell I'll ever trust that (or similar apps, like Telegram). The surge in fake news here in Brazil seems to have confirmed my fears, as it's way worse than in any other social media platform.

Old Post Aug-28-2021 22:36  Brazil
Click Here to See the Profile for Lira Click here to Send Lira a Private Message Visit Lira's homepage! Add Lira to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Silky Johnson
International Playa Hater

But isn't Whatsapp owned by FB now? Does it matter if you use it or not?

Old Post Aug-28-2021 23:20 
Click Here to See the Profile for Silky Johnson Click here to Send Silky Johnson a Private Message Add Silky Johnson to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
72hrpartyanimal
Supreme tranceaddict

Location: West LA, California (where retired party people live)

quote:
Originally posted by Lira
I am, however, vehemently opposed to WhatsApp. The whole designed seemed irreparably flawed from the start, and there's absolutely no way in hell I'll ever trust that (or similar apps, like Telegram). The surge in fake news here in Brazil seems to have confirmed my fears, as it's way worse than in any other social media platform.

Very interesting. This is the first I've heard of this. I use WhatsApp to communicate with a group of friends. Only because we have a few that live overseas. Or perhaps we use it when we're traveling (we're too cheap to upgrade our cell phone plans for int'l travel).

So what's the backgrund/conspiracy theories on WhatsApp?

Old Post Aug-29-2021 00:11  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for 72hrpartyanimal Click here to Send 72hrpartyanimal a Private Message Add 72hrpartyanimal to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Syntonic
Artcore Addict

quote:
Originally posted by 72hrpartyanimal
Very interesting. This is the first I've heard of this. I use WhatsApp to communicate with a group of friends. Only because we have a few that live overseas. Or perhaps we use it when we're traveling (we're too cheap to upgrade our cell phone plans for int'l travel).

List of all acquisitions:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...ons_by_Facebook

It’s only conspiracy when there is secrecy. Facebook started acquiring other apps/products when Twitter rolled out. Basically would buy their competitors.

Old & New Electronic Music Channel
Soundcloud Mixes

Last edited by Syntonic on Aug-29-2021 at 00:21

Old Post Aug-29-2021 00:14  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Syntonic Click here to Send Syntonic a Private Message Add Syntonic to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lira
Ancient BassAddict

quote:
Originally posted by Silky Johnson
But isn't Whatsapp owned by FB now? Does it matter if you use it or not?

Yeah, they're all part of the same ecosystem, but the way they work is quite different.

On Facebook, most of the time, if you want to share something with your friends and it comes from a specific page or website, Facebook leaves a "paper trail" attached to the post. Is it from a Facebook page? There'll likely be a link to the original content. An external website? There'll be a link. You can check what the source is, and if it violates Facebook's code of conduct, it's usually taken care of.

On WhatsApp, however, people usually forward files, rather than links. The videos and photos are on your phone, and hell knows where they came from if a reverse search yields no result. When people forward messages, the "paper trail" is usually just a phone number. So these external checks are much more difficult.

As someone whose family is prone to QAnon beliefs, and whose colleagues often border Bernie Bro territory, it didn't take them long to start showing fake news long before Donald Trump coined the term, and feel kind of hurt when I shrug it off. I don't intend to confront any of them as they're all dear to me, no matter how hard they believe Bolsonaro faked his own death just to hurl zombie puppies at 5G vaccines and overthrow the government... or something along these lines. I just can't be arsed
quote:
Originally posted by 72hrpartyanimal

It's simply a "closed system" prone to disinformation (it's not public, it can't be moderated, yet you can forward messages en masse). The Guardian published a rather long account of how WhatsApp is a massive failure as a social platform (in a way ICQ and MSN Live Messenger never were, funnily enough).

Old Post Aug-30-2021 05:40  Brazil
Click Here to See the Profile for Lira Click here to Send Lira a Private Message Visit Lira's homepage! Add Lira to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Silky Johnson
International Playa Hater

Yeah a bunch of my friends and I use WhatsApp exclusively for group chats. Signal too.

Old Post Aug-30-2021 08:48 
Click Here to See the Profile for Silky Johnson Click here to Send Silky Johnson a Private Message Add Silky Johnson to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

How is forwarding bullshit on WhatsApp any different to forwarding it via text message? In both cases you can send links if you know someone's phone number.

Old Post Aug-30-2021 09:21  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
JEO
Supreme tranceaddict

Exactly. The content of text messages too should be actively monitored by someone. You never know what kind of lies are spreading via those things.

Old Post Aug-30-2021 13:34  Finland
Click Here to See the Profile for JEO Click here to Send JEO a Private Message Add JEO to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

From reading that Guardian article, the answer appears to be "big group chats", which is not how I really use WhatsApp. I'm in a few small group chats, but only with my friends.

Old Post Aug-30-2021 14:43  England
Lira
Ancient BassAddict

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
How is forwarding bullshit on WhatsApp any different to forwarding it via text message? In both cases you can send links if you know someone's phone number.

There are a few key differences between SMS and WhatsApp messages, which explain why, in good faith, so many people install the app on their phones (otherwise it would be redundant, as I am sure you would agree). I am sure the designers had the best of intentions when they released the product, it just so happens that its unintentional flaws can be easily gamed in middle-income countries:

Until very recently, it was much easier (and cheaper) to send WhatsApp messages in bulk than it was to send the same amount of text messages, which is why WhatsApp has been so harmful to Brazilian democracy. In order to attract more clients, telecommunications companies often waive all fees related to WhatsApp use, so it's more akin to spam mail than text messages (you seldom have to pay to send out e-mails). So, although we are much poorer, WhatsApp use in Brazil and Mexico is as widespread as in the UK (roughly 51% of Brazilians, 48% of Mexicans, and 45% of Britons use it). This creates a huge social network that is cheap, convenient, and private.

Also, you can attach videos and photos direclty to WhatsApp messages (as far as I know, you can just paste a link on text messages and hope the receiver clicks through). And, quite often, you have no idea who the sender of spam mail is, and therein lies the biggest trap: you only need one person gullible enough to forward a politically charged video in a group chat to spread it more effectively. You often know who sent it to you, so you tend to let your guard down. It's already downloaded to your phone by the time you watch it anyway. That just doesn't happen with text messages or spam.

So, unlike Twitter and Facebook, which successfully banned Donald Trump, WhatsApp is more vulnerable to these malicious actors. We have been very clumsy in our attempts to defend our institutions from them, as some judges have actually attempted to block WhatsApp in the past, a hopeless attempt if there has ever been one.

Now, I'm not blaming WhatsApp for all our woes, but some minimal non-intrusive moderation would go a long way. Until then, I really feel the cons outweigh the pros in here... and it really is cons we're talking about here, in a way.
quote:
Originally posted by JEO
Exactly. The content of text messages too should be actively monitored by someone. You never know what kind of lies are spreading via those things.

And, Jeo, I'm actually happy for Finland because your deadpan remark is probably a sign that you guys have been successfully battling misinformation. I come from a country much more similar to the US when it comes to seeing hordes of protesters fuelled by misinformation storming public buildings. We're bracing ourselves for something along these lines next week, actually, as Bolsonaro is now threatening he will either be arrested or killed if he isn't reelected... and intelligence services are now scrambling to deal with the mobilisation via WhatsApp.

I'm aware Finnish democracy must have its problems, but if this isn't one of them, I guess it comes to show how solid it is
quote:
Originally posted by Silky Johnson
Yeah a bunch of my friends and I use WhatsApp exclusively for group chats. Signal too.

Hmm... Never used Signal, and it isn't much popular here, apprently. It seems Telegram is becoming a haven for extremists here too, but I've yet to see something dodgy on the app.

Old Post Aug-30-2021 19:29  Brazil

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Social Media
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbacktall paul 2 [2005] [1]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackCirez D – Control Freak [Mouseville] [MOUSE 001] [2011]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread