Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - Chicago, Detroit & N. Central USA > EDM Drives local man insane!!!
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
RJT
last minute disco

So last night (2-12) some friends of mine hosted a party in point and they asked myself
and couple of guys I've been spinning with a few years to come DJ the party. Got a lot of folks psyched up over the preceding week for some EDM, and the turnout was big pretty quick, and 90% of the folks were there to see some kids spin records.

Within 15 minutes of dropping the first record we had kids dancing around, and man it felt great. The other two guys (Dustin & Zack) were both essentially flawless, and early on everyone started just experimenting with stuff we've never tried (Three/Four decks running at once, a new Pioneer EFX500, etc.) and I thought things were sounding great. Even being my own worst critic, I really only think I muddied up two mixes badly.

In any event, we hit the decks about 9:30, and rocked until about 12:30, with only a few minimal complaints or requests for quote "Some fuckin' 50 Cent!" from random stragglers on that weren't really friends with anyone at the party. Throughout the night though, we'd heard rumblings of one of the roommates at the house just getting pissed off that all he had to listen to was that "Fuckin techno music."

Bam! 12:30 hits, and the shit hits the fan. This kid comes barreling out of his room, reaches over the tables and just turns off our PA, and proceeds to yell the following:

"ALRIGHT! Anyone who wants real music to party to should come rage in my room, you don't have to listen to this bullshit."

And this kid (Who by the way is like 6'3" and 200 lbs.) just gets destroyed by the room. People just get PISSED off at him, and in his embarrassed state, he begins to throw punches indisriminantly at both dudes and ladies. 20 minutes later 2 guys are on their way to the hospital with split lips, two girls had gotten smacked by this guy, and I'm just barely finishing off packing up and getting the fuck out of there.

At this point, I'm headed home to drop my gear off and get some drinks, feeling just dejected about being a DJ in central Wisconsin. But my resolve is not to let this ruin my night, so I grab the other two boys and we hit the bars. As soon as we walk through the door we realize everyone (Well, all 30 or 40 of our friends) from the party were waiting on us to get down there basically to tell us they thought we spun a great set, and to not let schwag like this get our spirits down because in reality, it was one dude who ruined this for everyone.

I don't know, the best way to put it is that after a night that could have been a major bummer, people were still stoked about EDM, and next time we just have to do things a little different. And maybe the most important message I can get across is that my friends really brought me up after what was essentially a major downer (Albeit most likely more of a downer for those who got hit/went to the hospital) for me, so even though none of them will read this and I tell them as frequently as possible in person, I owe them a lot of thanks just for being damn good kids!

Sorry for the long post, but I think some other local DJ's have probably had similar experiences, so I hope this at least entertained you for a minute today .

Peace, Cheers,

RJT

Old Post Feb-13-2005 19:15 
Click Here to See the Profile for RJT Click here to Send RJT a Private Message Visit RJT's homepage! Add RJT to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
wolverine16
Pilgrim Pete

Weird story. What kind of tracks were you playing? Based on a quick glance at your discogs link, I'd say most of those would probably go over well with people who aren't too familiar with any kind of EDM. My friend was throwing together a party and was hesitant to let me spin, because he wanted the typical top 40s hip hop, but it worked out fairly well with using a lot of tracks with vocals. There's always going to be a few people that are annoyed by any type of music at a party or club, so never let that get to you.

Thurs May 15: Influence @ Tini Martini w/ Kris B. vs. Nosmo, Rikler & Mike Palmeri
Thurs June 5: Under the Influence @ Tini Martini w/Mathias Matthew, Jack Kim & more TBA

Old Post Feb-13-2005 19:47  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for wolverine16 Click here to Send wolverine16 a Private Message Visit wolverine16's homepage! Add wolverine16 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
RJT
last minute disco

We were definitely trying to rock real melodic, vocal stuff, but we did mix it up between Breaks/Progressive/House/Trance, basically just trying to play tunes people could at least give a chance, and in general, people were lovin it.

This guy who just bust off the PA I guess had just been sitting in his room all night with one of his buddies just bitching non-stop, and decided that if he wasn't enjoying it, no one could.

Overall, the 3 hour set was great, I've got the list around here somewhere, I'll post it later on and you guys can let me know what you thought of the setlist.

Cheers,

RJT

Old Post Feb-13-2005 20:02 
Click Here to See the Profile for RJT Click here to Send RJT a Private Message Visit RJT's homepage! Add RJT to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Alekos
Supreme tranceaddict

What happened to that guy ? Did he end up going to jail ?

Cogito, ergo sum.
Your imagination is only the beginning
Bogota Distrito Capital - Millos
Forza Milan

Old Post Feb-13-2005 21:42 
Click Here to See the Profile for Alekos Click here to Send Alekos a Private Message Add Alekos to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
UWM
mandroid

What a head case. I'd suggest not throwing a party at that house again.

Old Post Feb-14-2005 15:34 
Click Here to See the Profile for UWM Click here to Send UWM a Private Message Visit UWM's homepage! Add UWM to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
jonze
Unicorn Farts

someone needs to go to DJ Self-Defense School

i didnt think that people could really be that stupid to just start swinging at people for no reason.

Old Post Feb-14-2005 16:28 
Click Here to See the Profile for jonze Click here to Send jonze a Private Message Add jonze to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
RJT
last minute disco

IKKI-ZUVK: I am fairly sure he just got four "Must Appears" from the people who pressed charges, but at this point I haven't really talked to these kids again yet.

UWM: No doubt, SP may be a difficult place to throw a party in general, so while we're at it let me just say "Have records, will travel!"

jonze234: Yeah, I haven't been able to afford the tuition at the DJ Defense Institute of Central Wisconsin on top of my UWSP bill

And yeah, this guy just basically got embarassed, and decided to take it out on a few folks; I know this doesnn't even need to be stated, but this guy was a complete tool in the first place.

...On Another Note...

Anyone ever thought of getting midwest TA's together for a party? I mean other people would be welcome too, I just don't know how easy the logistics of this would be to pull off.

Peace, Cheers,

RJT

Old Post Feb-14-2005 16:50 
jam.iii
<BACKin2daFUNK>

quote:
Originally posted by rturn214
Anyone ever thought of getting midwest TA's together for a party?

i'd be so down with that, and i'd bring my records too with all the milwaukee / chicago / detroit TA's there could probly be a pretty decent sized get together.

anyhow, with what you posted... wtf from the pic you put there it looked like it was a couple of hippies, why do they gotta get picked on loool. if i were you i'd be glad you made it out with all the equipment in tact. all it takes is that one "oops, i spilled my beer" and its all over with. especially if he was enraged like that, i'm surprised he didn't try to fuck with the equipment.

anyhow, to make you feel better, yes this happens to us smalltime DJ's and EDM with mixed crowds... its never happened to that degree with me but i have been in parties several times where there is that group of kids who want to act all ghetto and tough and threaten you to play what they want to hear, rap and hip-hop. DON'T GIVE IN if people don't like it, and the host of the party does, let them leave, it will be a better atmosphere without people like that there. at school, i was eventually spinning at different parties and these were people who HATED the music (mostly because they never listened or they thought that "la, la, la.." around the world track was true EDM). it all started off with one night when i got a 45 min spot between 2 hip hop DJ's. after that i kept getting invited back until there was just a EDM night there, it was great

one last thing, when i first started, and everyone was a bit timid about the music... once the ladies are there and had a drink or two, put on some vocal trance tracks, maybe something they'd recognize. once the ladies get going you know the guys are soon to follow

My Website, SHEXY MIXES: jam-iii.com

Old Post Feb-14-2005 18:21  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for jam.iii Click here to Send jam.iii a Private Message Visit jam.iii's homepage! Add jam.iii to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
wolverine16
Pilgrim Pete

See if you can get a group membership discount at DJ defense school. I think Sander Kleinenberg might want to join in case he gets attacked by another drugged out girl with a pen, like in November.

I hope this link still works!!!
(Sorry, just as Homer Simpson never got tired of Hans Moleman getting hit with a football, I never get tired of that video.)

Hope that guy from your party did get in trouble, being drunk and annoyed by music doesn't justify hitting random people, especially women.

Thurs May 15: Influence @ Tini Martini w/ Kris B. vs. Nosmo, Rikler & Mike Palmeri
Thurs June 5: Under the Influence @ Tini Martini w/Mathias Matthew, Jack Kim & more TBA

Old Post Feb-14-2005 18:24  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for wolverine16 Click here to Send wolverine16 a Private Message Visit wolverine16's homepage! Add wolverine16 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
jam.iii
<BACKin2daFUNK>

hehe nice video, where the hell is that from? must be 80's night, sounds like MJ

My Website, SHEXY MIXES: jam-iii.com

Old Post Feb-14-2005 18:31  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for jam.iii Click here to Send jam.iii a Private Message Visit jam.iii's homepage! Add jam.iii to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
wolverine16
Pilgrim Pete

quote:
Originally posted by jam.iii
hehe nice video, where the hell is that from? must be 80's night, sounds like MJ

It's a Michael Jackson song he played to close out his set @ Vision. The lights were turned on and everyone was savoring the last moments before they closed up and then that girl decided to close a few minutes earlier

If you guys do put something together party-wise, I'd be down even if it would be somewhere that would require a bit of driving, provided it's on a weekend. Something like a TA open decks thing would be good for everyone to get some practice and maybe learn a few tips. I wonder how the open decks in Ohio that gets posted here sometimes has been working out?

Old Post Feb-14-2005 19:01  United States
UWM
mandroid

quote:
Originally posted by wolverine16
See if you can get a group membership discount at DJ defense school. I think Sander Kleinenberg might want to join in case he gets attacked by another drugged out girl with a pen, like in November.

I hope this link still works!!!

Hahaha, how did I miss seeing that before?

Watching Sander and his brother is quite entertaining. Sander's like "WTF is going on?" and his bro is thinking, "Shit I'm gonna get this on video!"

Old Post Feb-14-2005 21:15 
Click Here to See the Profile for UWM Click here to Send UWM a Private Message Visit UWM's homepage! Add UWM to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - Chicago, Detroit & N. Central USA > EDM Drives local man insane!!!
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackID Needed! 1 [2004] [1]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackMärtini Brös. - "The Biggest Fan" (Black Strobe Remix) [2004]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread