Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - Texas & S. Central USA > The Night in Houston with Oakenfold...
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Carlos Pereira
Supreme tranceaddict

Dancing Dude The Night in Houston with Oakenfold...

Many have said so far that oakey's sets suck, especially after 1998-1999, when Oakey was hot. I have to disagree after what I saw tonight...

I was standing in line, talking to people about this Oakey gig going down tonight, since I had never been to one of oakey's gigs before. Everyone told me not to worry because Oakey was going to spin some bad ass "new" choons that would surprise the crowd, and that most of all it was the mood that his music puts you in that counts the most. They said it and it happened! Right from the start, Oakey's set was "perfecto". He played a remix of his new tune "The Club", a remix of "Time of your life" and some other tunes I tried to ID. I think overall Oakey did a bad ass job tonight. I really liked the feel of his music, and the ambience that manifested throughout M-Bar as people watched him spin. It wasn't too hardcore, nor too slow. Perfect sounding and smooth tunes would make you wanna sit down and enjoy a cigarette, have a nice cold beer or rum n' coke.

It was that feeling that made me enjoy Oakey. Because it's not all about dancing and raving, with Oakey it's more about that "chillout" and "smooth trance effect" that people really enjoy. It is about that metro, "city-guy", "new york life" music that I adore about Oakey's music.

I believe that for some people, it takes time and that special taste in trance/dance music to really have an ear for Oakenfold. Despite certain tracks that I didn't really like, most of them cured the effect for the night. Remember this, Oakenfold is not your typical Armin Van Buuren, Tiesto, Carl Cox, or Hernan Cattaneo. Oakenfold's style and waaayyyy different than others, and it's that unique taste that most people enjoy when they listen to Oakenfold's music...

I had a great night tonight. My girlfriend enjoyed the music as much as I did. On a scale from 1-10, I'd give it an 8.

PEACE!
cp

PS: I heard fucking gunshots when I walked to my car. Loud BANGS!! Anyone hear that too???

Old Post Apr-02-2005 10:52 
Click Here to See the Profile for Carlos Pereira Add Carlos Pereira to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
daydreamer
disco baby

as long as you enjoyed yourself, thats all that really matters.

Old Post Apr-02-2005 14:28  Spain
Click Here to See the Profile for daydreamer Click here to Send daydreamer a Private Message Add daydreamer to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Carlos Pereira
Supreme tranceaddict

fa show man....

PEACE!
c/p

Old Post Apr-02-2005 20:57 
Click Here to See the Profile for Carlos Pereira Add Carlos Pereira to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Emerald
Supreme tranceaddict

well just gotta say, last night was pretty dope.

i dislike oakenfold with a passion for very legitimate reasons but i'll always goto his events here in houston just because i know the party and the people will be huge. last night was no different. the house was packed and the ladies were plentiful... damn there were some beautiful women flockin. everyone was havin a great time which is awesome.

i've come to realize that i should never expect a good set from oakenfold so technically i'll never be disappointed. but to my surprise his mixing was actually ok last night, but his tracks were BOOOBOOOOOOOO. liquid todd was pretty whack too. (im such a hater )

but it didnt matter, i was busy gawkin at all the lovely ladies. yum.

as i always say, if ya didnt go you missed out. ALWAYS GOTO OAKENFOLD SHOWS. NOT FOR THE MUSIC BUT FOR THE PARTY. it will probably be the hugest turnout for any event with any dj, no doubt.

-mike

Old Post Apr-02-2005 23:52  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Emerald Click here to Send Emerald a Private Message Add Emerald to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Frisco
Senior tranceaddict

Well I enjoyed him last year at Lizard Lounge outside, but I didn't really care for his show last night. Plus the fact that you couldn't really see him kinda annoyed me. Does anyone have a tracklist from last night? I was a little off and don't seem to remember track names. And what was the deal with having to wait in line forever with the will call tickets? Normally you get right in, but they had us waiting forever it seemed (maybe cause it was freezing it seemed longer).

Old Post Apr-02-2005 23:52  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Frisco Click here to Send Frisco a Private Message Add Frisco to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Emerald
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Frisco
Well I enjoyed him last year at Lizard Lounge outside, but I didn't really care for his show last night. Plus the fact that you couldn't really see him kinda annoyed me. Does anyone have a tracklist from last night? I was a little off and don't seem to remember track names. And what was the deal with having to wait in line forever with the will call tickets? Normally you get right in, but they had us waiting forever it seemed (maybe cause it was freezing it seemed longer).

honestly, with my experience workin doors, the will call/presale lines usually take longer then the 'paying at the door' lines. reason is that the guys at the door know that the presale people already paid for the party and they can make you guys wait in line as long as they want knowing you wont leave since you already paid. so their focus is gettin the other people in since they can still walk away.

and on top of that, keepin a long line makes the club look more appealing to ppl walkin by, like 'damn that must be one helluva party'.

but i shouldnt be saying this kinda stuff hehe, the promoters and employees are always pretty swamped and stressin out over gettin things running smoothly. it can get pretty hectic at these big events.

Old Post Apr-03-2005 00:01  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Emerald Click here to Send Emerald a Private Message Add Emerald to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SportTrance
Supreme tranceaddict

hmm.......

my review:

I think i've clubbed too much and seen too many DJs. I'm becoming a bitter skeptic.

The Bads:

Very overcrowded. If a fire broke out in that place, I couldnt imagine what it'd be like. I mean it was absolutely packed. I love packed, packed is good, but this was like "struggle to survive" packed. No where to dance. Like usual at MBar, took 30 min to piss. The DJ booth location was horrible, shoulda had it floor level like with Jules.

- The bartender had a problem with my buddies tip. I'll admit, it was a crap tip, my friend was pretty drunk, he usually tips good, but bitching at about it imo is inappropriate. I've done tip-dependant jobs before, and it happens, complaining just isnt necessary, nor gonna get you a better tip. Nonetheless, I sympathize.

The Goods:

Overall I had a good night, but i'll admit, mr. budlight had a lot to do with it. LOTS of good looking women, as always. Line wait, eh whats new, I had no problem with it. I enjoyed listening to the DJ downstairs, spun a lot of good house. There were times I honestly considered just chilling in there the whole night, especially since i'd seen oakey before @ hyperia years back. Oakey spun some good stuff, some classics, overall, not a bad night.

Old Post Apr-03-2005 10:15  Greece
Click Here to See the Profile for SportTrance Click here to Send SportTrance a Private Message Add SportTrance to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
wavygravy_vp
Junior tranceaddict

I think Oakey played some great music but there was absolutely no interaction with the crowd. he was way too far away from the main dance floor. but all in all a good night with good music and beautiful party happy people. I wish they have more such events at M Bar.
Anyone got pics or videos from the show??

Old Post Apr-04-2005 01:32  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for wavygravy_vp Click here to Send wavygravy_vp a Private Message Add wavygravy_vp to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
brice218
tranceaddict

Well all I know I had an awsome time and I finally got a pic yay! I'm such a girl sorry mikey ... The crowd was loven it and everyone was just having a good time from what I saw that night and Oakey wasn't bad at all I loved it! Actually at this one I'm very surprise to see that he even let ppl take pic's and even hang out around him in his set...Weird but it was a really good night. As far as the old Spundae crew here in houston it was great to see ya'll guyz and glad to hear and see that ya'll are ALL doing well . Will be seeing ya'll around take care...

Bea-

Old Post Apr-04-2005 13:58  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for brice218 Click here to Send brice218 a Private Message Visit brice218's homepage! Add brice218 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Matthias
RIP TXTA

sounds like it was a good time..woulda made it out had I not have been tied up with austin the next night. Really wish I could see the whole spundae crew again..those were good times

Old Post Apr-04-2005 20:26  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Matthias Click here to Send Matthias a Private Message Add Matthias to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
djseanc
tranceaddict

you guys rock.
i am so glad to have seen so many of you again , loooong time no see.

oakey did it again, the party was really fun and again great to have a large DJ EDM event in housotn.
Once again we showed H town that EDM can be a good thing for clubbing.

best

Sean

see you all at ATB and Randall Jones at M Bar ..??..!!

Old Post Apr-06-2005 13:42 
Click Here to See the Profile for djseanc Click here to Send djseanc a Private Message Visit djseanc's homepage! Add djseanc to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
TiKiGoD
tranceaddict

I'm gonna have to agree... so many people say that Oakenfold's playing recycled tunes and what not, but the mood he creates with the harmonic mixing he does, and the tunes he selects to recycle are amazingly compelling.

Old Post May-03-2005 04:11  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for TiKiGoD Click here to Send TiKiGoD a Private Message Add TiKiGoD to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - Texas & S. Central USA > The Night in Houston with Oakenfold...
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackPvD - T-Mobile 2004 Track 15 [2004] [31]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackSecond Sun - "Love Stimulator" (Paul van Dyk Rework) [2004]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread