Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth > EFX-1000 Question
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
nrjizer
vive le deep

EFX-1000 Question

I actually have two questions. I just ordered mine yesterday.

First, what kind of send/receive plugs does it have? My Vestax PCV-275 has send/receive plugs that are 1/4". Does the EFX have the same, or is it RCA, 1/8", etc?

Second, is the EFX-1000 capable of generating a MIDI clock signal that locks a sequencer (like Ableton) into the BPM of the music on your turntables? If so, would I just need a standard MIDI cable to hook this up to a soundcard?

Old Post Apr-25-2006 04:16  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for nrjizer Click here to Send nrjizer a Private Message Add nrjizer to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Fusic
Supreme tranceaddict

So yea it will work with your vestax.

Fusic LIVE @ Seal Beach TA Meetup

Old Post Apr-25-2006 05:08  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Fusic Click here to Send Fusic a Private Message Add Fusic to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
T-Soma
The Sky Was Pink...

Can anyone tell me what connections the efx 500 has. I am currently deciding between an efx 500, korg kaoss pad 2 or (even though its a different kettle of fish) a novation A-station.

Old Post Apr-25-2006 07:23  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for T-Soma Click here to Send T-Soma a Private Message Add T-Soma to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Trogdor
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by DJ 00 Tommy
Can anyone tell me what connections the efx 500 has. I am currently deciding between an efx 500, korg kaoss pad 2 or (even though its a different kettle of fish) a novation A-station.
1/4" and RCA.

Old Post Apr-25-2006 08:24  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Trogdor Click here to Send Trogdor a Private Message Add Trogdor to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
T-Soma
The Sky Was Pink...

No midi? Well the efx500 is definitly out of the picture for me.

Old Post Apr-25-2006 08:47  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for T-Soma Click here to Send T-Soma a Private Message Add T-Soma to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mimoza
tranceaddict

quote:

There is a midi in and out, buth i never used it, so i can't talk about it's functionality...

www.mimoza.be

Old Post Apr-25-2006 10:16  Belgium
Click Here to See the Profile for Mimoza Click here to Send Mimoza a Private Message Visit Mimoza's homepage! Add Mimoza to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
idoru
You Can Call Me Al

quote:

Both the 500 and the 1000 have MIDI Time Clock. Those are, sadly, the only MIDI capabilities that each of them have.

Old Post Apr-25-2006 16:43 
Click Here to See the Profile for idoru Click here to Send idoru a Private Message Add idoru to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
nrjizer
vive le deep

Oh yeah, does it come with any cables? Or do I need to run to Radio Shack?

Old Post May-02-2006 05:28  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for nrjizer Click here to Send nrjizer a Private Message Add nrjizer to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Trogdor
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by nrjizer
Oh yeah, does it come with any cables? Or do I need to run to Radio Shack?
Radio Shack time!

quote:
Both the 500 and the 1000 have MIDI Time Clock. Those are, sadly, the only MIDI capabilities that each of them have.
The 1000's functions can be controlled by a mixer with MIDI. For example, you can control the jog dial from the Xone:92's crossfader.

And nrjizer, just curious, but why didn't you buy a new mixer instead?

Old Post May-02-2006 06:33  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Trogdor Click here to Send Trogdor a Private Message Add Trogdor to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
nrjizer
vive le deep

I just got my EFX-1000 today, and I'm having trouble getting it to cooperate with my Vestax PCV-275. The PCV does have send/receive channels, and I have those hooked up and have the levels set fairly well.

The problem is that my mixer has a Pre-fader, Post-fader, and Off setting for each channel. Whenever I initiate the EFX by switching to either Pre or Post on the mixer, the send/return channels instantly kick in and send the channel all the way through. The result is basically the track playing becomes overlapped on itself, resulting in a jump in volume and a flange sound (just as if you were to play the exact same song on top of itself). While this doesn't sound terrible, there is a clearly audible difference from when I switch the effect switch on and off, and it drives my mixer into the red. Obviously, this is unacceptable for recording or mixing live.

Also, the EFX completely bypasses my fader levels. For instance, if I make a feedback loop (an echo with full depth so that it doesn't degrade), it will sit and loop for eternity until I turn it off. Even if I pause the track in my CDJ, turn the fader all the way down, and turn the effects switch to "Off", the loop still comes through the mixer and into my speakers.

Old Post May-02-2006 21:25  United States
DarkFall01
Fernando Alonso

quote:
Originally posted by nrjizer
I just got my EFX-1000 today, and I'm having trouble getting it to cooperate with my Vestax PCV-275.

I have an EFX-500 going through a PCV-275 and I had the same problems in the beginning. The first thing you have to do is set the send/return levels on both the EFX and the mixer correctly.

On the mixer, Pre-fx will add 100% of the sound coming from the mixer to the EFX and back to the mixer. That's why it's over powering the mixer. Post, I think it does 50% or something, I'm not sure.

Anyway, if you want the song to run 100% through the EFX and keep that same sound as before, it's hard, again set your levels right. But to turn the effect on immediately (like pressing the effect button on a DJM600, etc), I put the effect selector on the PCV to pre and immediatly put the fader on that channel to 0. I haven't found another way of doing this. You can add it gradually by working with the send knob on the EFX and the volume on the mixer at the same time, to kind of slowly fade in the sound from the efx unit.
It's kind of a bitch at first, but it works.

Is the feedback loop on the EFX-1000 infinite? On my 500 it gets quieter over time and within about 1 min it's barely audible.

Old Post May-02-2006 21:39  Spain
Click Here to See the Profile for DarkFall01 Click here to Send DarkFall01 a Private Message Add DarkFall01 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
nrjizer
vive le deep

Yeah, the feedback loop is infinite on the 1000.

I currently have my levels set to around 2 o'clock on the mixer, and about 1 o'clock on the EFX. They are balanced on that setting, though I suppose I can try tweaking them around. Still, I'm beginning to think that the problem is just a fundamental part of the 275, unless someone knows some way around it...

Old Post May-02-2006 22:32  United States

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth > EFX-1000 Question
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackOld Favorite 3 [2005] [1]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackPlastic Boy - "Silver Bath" [2003]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread