Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Archives > Classic old threads / Inactive Forums > Winter Music Conference 2008 > Review: Dissident / AVA Recordings Party @ White Room 3/27
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Dan1584
Anti-Elitist

Review: Dissident / AVA Recordings Party @ White Room 3/27

On Thursday night my friend and I attended the Dissident / AVA Recordings party at The White Room.

This event was a little surprising because all the acts were back to back, meaning they DJed in groups. A pleasant surprise mind you, something different!

The order of the night was...

Matt Cerf & Shawn Mitiska
Kenneth Thomas & Noel Sanger
Gareth Emery & Andy Moor

We arrived right at 10pm when it started and were pretty much the only people there. The club was pretty cool, small but decent. There were 3 rooms, the outside was the best though. They had a projector on the building playing The Good, The Bad and The Ugly... WTF that was about was beyond me, lol.

Shawn and Matt showed up within the hour. I met Matt Cerf for the first time, Shawn I have known for years. Met some other cool peeps too. Soon enough Shawn and Matt went on for there set, the attendence was minimal but there were still some people, I coulda cared less since I was ready to dance and enjoy myself regardless, but I was bummed for all the DJ's and the event itself since the proceeds went to charity. Anyway...

Shawn and Matt threw it DOWN as usual. Heard some Squash 84, Kosmas Epsilon, Vantem, Jay Lumar, Michael Cassette. Was a good set, I didn't want it to end! Then KT and Noel came on. KT was bringing the heat, Noel had some iffy transitions but he threw it down too, they put on a good show as well and luckily at that point a little more people showed up, but still the attendence was very very weak. Last but not least Gareth and Andy came on and tranced it up. Gareth owned the decks with the tracks he was laying down, Andy not so much. Was a good time. We left a little early though... well it was late up early into the GE and AM set.

Overall... I had a great time. Got to dance my ass off, get financially raped at the bar with $8 drinks, hang out with Shawn and my friend, and see some DJ's I've been interested in seeing live (KT and GE). Was a good time, just was bummed about the turn out, thought it woulda brought in aa decent amount of people.

"Dancing With Kadafi"
"Symphonatic"

'Nuff Said...

Old Post Mar-31-2008 03:38  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Dan1584 Click here to Send Dan1584 a Private Message Visit Dan1584's homepage! Add Dan1584 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
JD8180
I choose noise.

Re: Review: Dissident / AVA Recordings Party @ White Room 3/27

quote:
Originally posted by Dan1584
get financially raped at the bar with $8 drinks

nocturnal that night was charging $8 for a bottle of water. $8 drinks is actually a really good price in miami. the average in most clubs i'd say is around $11-$15.

Old Post Mar-31-2008 03:45  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for JD8180 Click here to Send JD8180 a Private Message Add JD8180 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
ctt300
Senior tranceaddict

Re: Re: Review: Dissident / AVA Recordings Party @ White Room 3/27

quote:
Originally posted by JD8180
nocturnal that night was charging $8 for a bottle of water. $8 drinks is actually a really good price in miami. the average in most clubs i'd say is around $11-$15.

Yep, here's the drink price breakdown from my WMC events:

Space/Parkwest: $12 drink/ $7 water

Karu & Y Ultralounge: $15!!! drink/ $7 water

Metropolis: $15!!! drink/ $7 water

Old Post Mar-31-2008 03:56  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for ctt300 Click here to Send ctt300 a Private Message Add ctt300 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Dan1584
Anti-Elitist

I NEVER buy water at a bar, I always just ask for a cup of iced water and it's always free.

"Dancing With Kadafi"
"Symphonatic"

'Nuff Said...

Old Post Mar-31-2008 04:35  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Dan1584 Click here to Send Dan1584 a Private Message Visit Dan1584's homepage! Add Dan1584 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
noelsanger
Senior tranceaddict

I just want to say thanks to everyone who came out. It seemed like everyone was having a great time, despite the relative lack of turn out...

to my eyes this week, all the smaller parties were weak, while the giant mega shows charging 100 or 200 bucks at the door seemed packed. i think that kind of crazy greed is what killed a lot of the smaller events, with the economy being what it is and people budgeting, etc. its also antithetical to the whole ideal of dance music: i have always thought of it as inclusive, not exclusive. but to charge 200 atthe door for armada dn 120 for deep dish on the space terrace can only lead to a type of elitism that will kill dancemusic as we know it.

anyway, if it hadn't been the singlemost stressful day of recent memory, I might have enjoyed it too. But (badly) organizing all of that and losing thousands of dollars had me in a bit of a state. I'm not sure how I pulled my head together to play at all tbh =)

anyway, I am now glad this week is over. I want to go home and see my kids.

respect.

noel

www.myspace.com/noelsanger
www.myspace.com/dissidentmusic001

Old Post Mar-31-2008 07:00  United Nations
Click Here to See the Profile for noelsanger Click here to Send noelsanger a Private Message Visit noelsanger's homepage! Add noelsanger to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
ctt300
Senior tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by noelsanger
I just want to say thanks to everyone who came out. It seemed like everyone was having a great time, despite the relative lack of turn out...

to my eyes this week, all the smaller parties were weak, while the giant mega shows charging 100 or 200 bucks at the door seemed packed. i think that kind of crazy greed is what killed a lot of the smaller events, with the economy being what it is and people budgeting, etc. its also antithetical to the whole ideal of dance music: i have always thought of it as inclusive, not exclusive. but to charge 200 atthe door for armada dn 120 for deep dish on the space terrace can only lead to a type of elitism that will kill dancemusic as we know it.

anyway, if it hadn't been the singlemost stressful day of recent memory, I might have enjoyed it too. But (badly) organizing all of that and losing thousands of dollars had me in a bit of a state. I'm not sure how I pulled my head together to play at all tbh =)

anyway, I am now glad this week is over. I want to go home and see my kids.

respect.

noel

Man you couldn't more spot on. Overcharging like that to the empth degree is just completely anti-dance music...especially when they already had the event "sold out..." i just saw all of this coming when i saw Wantickets post that more tickets were suddenly avaliable, but for maybe before 2AM entry as opposed to the previous before 3AM tickets... More than greed to oversell like you're an airline...Fly Club Space and Parkwest airlines... I think the people that got screwed the most were the event-hopping type who wished to catch all of their favorites wherever they were spinning...

Old Post Mar-31-2008 07:39  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for ctt300 Click here to Send ctt300 a Private Message Add ctt300 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
JD8180
I choose noise.

quote:
Originally posted by noelsanger

the only problem is, in miami there are always those meat heads that are more than willing to blow thousands of dollars at clubs getting tables and all, not even knowing who the dj is. all in the hopes that a girl may notice him and he can invite her into the table. i'm sorry but no matter how much of a fan you are of armin for example, i can't see how a normal person could pay $200 just for a regular cover charge.

Old Post Mar-31-2008 14:30  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for JD8180 Click here to Send JD8180 a Private Message Add JD8180 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
1drp4fn
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by JD8180
the only problem is, in miami there are always those meat heads that are more than willing to blow thousands of dollars at clubs getting tables and all, not even knowing who the dj is. all in the hopes that a girl may notice him and he can invite her into the table. i'm sorry but no matter how much of a fan you are of armin for example, i can't see how a normal person could pay $200 just for a regular cover charge.

EXACTLY!! thats why we had to hit up SVD @ The Fifth after Armada tix broke triple digits just to f'n get it!

Old Post Mar-31-2008 21:56  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for 1drp4fn Click here to Send 1drp4fn a Private Message Add 1drp4fn to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Archives > Classic old threads / Inactive Forums > Winter Music Conference 2008 > Review: Dissident / AVA Recordings Party @ White Room 3/27
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackAnother great uplifting track, help! [2008] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackDarude - "Sandstorm" (Superchumbo Remix) [2002]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread