Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > Are 'Big' DJ's too far up there own arse ?
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Jimb0b
Senior tranceaddict

Are 'Big' DJ's too far up there own arse ?

I was at a friends place the other day, and he put on some vid of armin live in 2006 ish I think.

Now, to say I was distinctly underimpressed is an understatement, not only did I find the set boring (apart from maybe ONE song), I also wasnt too much of a fan of all the live stuff put on, some guy with a guitar came on, and them some other crap I really wanst interested in.

As far as I am concerned I would rather go to a field in the middle of nowhere and have a good night, rather than these over-produced nights that seem to be being put on from what I have seen.

Anyway... one thing that got me, and made me cringe slightly is the way that armin just seemed to think he was some kind of god or something, he would keep on doing this stupid bow kind of think (put both arms together up in air, and then repeatedly bow), and just other stupid things, I think I even seen him almost sheading a tear at one point - get a life!

Ive not really listened to much in the way of trance since about 2003 as it all just got a little bit too samey for me, but I think that may be slightly my fault as I was probablly listening to it too much and not anything else, but seeing this video has not give me any confidence that things have improved... the vids ive seen of tiesto also concern me!

Am I on my own here, or do they need to get a grip?, at the end of the day there just playing some records! lol

Old Post May-25-2008 21:12  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for Jimb0b Click here to Send Jimb0b a Private Message Add Jimb0b to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Stef
come @ me bro

Ladies and gentleman, yet another thread about why trance blows now, you are the hypebeast of EDM.

Old Post May-25-2008 22:08 
Click Here to See the Profile for Stef Click here to Send Stef a Private Message Add Stef to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
emc^2
FCK MNML

Re: Are 'Big' DJ's too far up there own arse ?

quote:
Originally posted by Jimb0b
I was at a friends place the other day, and he put on some vid of armin live in 2006 ish I think.

Now, to say I was distinctly underimpressed is an understatement, not only did I find the set boring (apart from maybe ONE song), I also wasnt too much of a fan of all the live stuff put on, some guy with a guitar came on, and them some other crap I really wanst interested in.

As far as I am concerned I would rather go to a field in the middle of nowhere and have a good night, rather than these over-produced nights that seem to be being put on from what I have seen.

Anyway... one thing that got me, and made me cringe slightly is the way that armin just seemed to think he was some kind of god or something, he would keep on doing this stupid bow kind of think (put both arms together up in air, and then repeatedly bow), and just other stupid things, I think I even seen him almost sheading a tear at one point - get a life!

Ive not really listened to much in the way of trance since about 2003 as it all just got a little bit too samey for me, but I think that may be slightly my fault as I was probablly listening to it too much and not anything else, but seeing this video has not give me any confidence that things have improved... the vids ive seen of tiesto also concern me!

Am I on my own here, or do they need to get a grip?, at the end of the day there just playing some records! lol

Welcome to Tranceaddict. Try the Chill out room - it is for trance bashing what petri dish full of fecal matter is for bacteria. Also search Armin + JPM (jesus poses per minute). I think he's up to 40 JPMs - an improvement on his last year's record.

and finally, regardless of what you think of (insert your favorite DJ name here) - good or bad, someone will be around very shortly to tell you how full of shit you are.

Thats' your tranceaddict 101 crash course. Go forth young Jedi, the force is strong within you.

p.s. Please don't insult trance - it still exists. Armin just isn't aware of it.

No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven donít want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Lifeís change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new. Right now the new is you, but someday not too long from now, you will gradually become the old and be cleared away. Sorry to be so dramatic, but it is quite true.

--Steve Jobs (1955 - 2011)

Old Post May-25-2008 22:51 
Click Here to See the Profile for emc^2 Click here to Send emc^2 a Private Message Add emc^2 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
echosystm
super wow maker

haha...

i was watching a video of armin on youtube and it was really awkward for me to watch. as if the jesus pose was not silly enough, he even got up onto the table and started "dancing"... dear god, i felt embarassed on his behalf.

what happened to good old fashioned fist pumping?

Old Post May-25-2008 23:04  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for echosystm Click here to Send echosystm a Private Message Add echosystm to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DigiNut
You kids get off my lawn!

quote:
Originally posted by echosystm
what happened to good old fashioned fist pumping?

Fist-pumping isn't "old fashioned", it's for trance crackers. There are a lot of people who can actually dance to dance music (what a twist!). Armin just isn't one of them.

Incidentally, what does this have to do with production? Oh, that's right, nothing.

2012-11-32 - DJ Insufferable ɸ Or At Least the Stalkers I Complain About
2048-06-66 - Spastic & Whocares Although I'm Actually Flattered
9999-45-81 - Tweaker Gimp I Probably Won't Even Go To This But I Have To Make Sure I Fill Up All The Available Space Here

Old Post May-25-2008 23:08  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for DigiNut Click here to Send DigiNut a Private Message Add DigiNut to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lucidity
Twilight Vanquisher

quote:
Originally posted by DigiNut
Incidentally, what does this have to do with production? Oh, that's right, nothing.

I 2nd that notion

Old Post May-26-2008 15:20  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Lucidity Click here to Send Lucidity a Private Message Visit Lucidity's homepage! Add Lucidity to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
zodiac9
Supreme tranceaddict

Yep, has nothing at all to do with production. Should have been posted in the DJ section. I found it amusing though. I guess DJs think they have to do things to keep their shows from becoming boring. More likely, the DJs are bored with their shows, so they do these things.

Old Post May-26-2008 23:37  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for zodiac9 Click here to Send zodiac9 a Private Message Visit zodiac9's homepage! Add zodiac9 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
richg101

unfortuantely the idiots that go to see these ridiculous gigs need to see this type of behaviour in order for it to be a real experience. some people find it hard to look up to someone who is down to earth. i cant think of anything worse than a party where there are more than 1000 people, all thinking they are 'connecting on a personal level' with the jumped up 'superstar' dj. its a shame that these dj's dont realise that 90% of people who go to these nights are just there to take xtc.... the music is just a soundtrack to drug taking in order to forget a boring dayjob. oh wait. the 20,000£ per hr set price makes up for that!

www.deresion.com

Old Post May-27-2008 08:38  England
Click Here to See the Profile for richg101 Click here to Send richg101 a Private Message Visit richg101's homepage! Add richg101 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
david.michael
Supreme tranceaddict

First of all, you lump all "Big DJs" into one category. Not all "Big DJs" are inherently anything.

As for Armin specifically... yes, he is. I saw him once for the hell of it, and I was surprised and appalled at how much of a pretentious prick he was.

Old Post May-27-2008 13:20  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for david.michael Click here to Send david.michael a Private Message Visit david.michael's homepage! Add david.michael to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
MrJiveBoJingles
Supreme tranceaddict

I wouldn't say Armin is "pretentious." At least he didn't seem that way when I met him before a show four years ago. He just puts on a physical performance because a lot of people think it "adds" to the set.

Personally I think all the bows and Jesus poses are kind of silly and don't really add anything, but I don't think doing a bit of grandstanding automatically makes someone "pretentious."

I agree with Jimb0b that a lot of these big nights are really "overproduced" and would rather just have a crazy party out in a field with some lesser-known DJ.

Old Post May-27-2008 14:25  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for MrJiveBoJingles Click here to Send MrJiveBoJingles a Private Message Add MrJiveBoJingles to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
david.michael
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by MrJiveBoJingles
I wouldn't say Armin is "pretentious." At least he didn't seem that way when I met him before a show four years ago. He just puts on a physical performance because a lot of people think it "adds" to the set.

Personally I think all the bows and Jesus poses are kind of silly and don't really add anything, but I don't think doing a bit of grandstanding automatically makes someone "pretentious."

I agree with Jimb0b that a lot of these big nights are really "overproduced" and would rather just have a crazy party out in a field with some lesser-known DJ.

When I saw him recently (within the past year), he simply reeked of pretentiousness. I understand putting on a show, but this was different. Holding his headphones in the air and bowing, followed by a Jesus pose, wearing barely a smirk while a screen behind him kept flashing "World's Number 1 DJ", "The World's Best", etc. all while showing clips of Armin performing behind Armin performing. It was really rather ridiculous.

Old Post May-27-2008 14:29  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for david.michael Click here to Send david.michael a Private Message Visit david.michael's homepage! Add david.michael to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
MrJiveBoJingles
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by david.michael
When I saw him recently (within the past year), he simply reeked of pretentiousness. I understand putting on a show, but this was different. Holding his headphones in the air and bowing, followed by a Jesus pose, wearing barely a smirk while a screen behind him kept flashing "World's Number 1 DJ", "The World's Best", etc. all while showing clips of Armin performing behind Armin performing. It was really rather ridiculous.

LOL.

Well, like I said, I hadn't seen him in a while -- I think it's been at least three years. Wasn't like that the last time I saw him.

Old Post May-27-2008 14:59  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for MrJiveBoJingles Click here to Send MrJiveBoJingles a Private Message Add MrJiveBoJingles to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > Are 'Big' DJ's too far up there own arse ?
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread