Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth > House dj mixes vs hip hop djs
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
colione98
tranceaddict in training

House dj mixes vs hip hop djs

I have always wondered why electronic/house djs don't get creative during mix cds or radio/podcasts?

Hip hop djs have been getting down with fx/eq'ing etc. both live and on the radio. EDM djs only seem to do it live.

What's the real reason?

Old Post Apr-17-2012 16:20  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for colione98 Click here to Send colione98 a Private Message Visit colione98's homepage! Add colione98 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Looney4Clooney
Supreme tranceaddict

i think that turntablism is more a part of the hip hop culture therefore by extension, messing with what is there is part of the aesthetic. I bet the outcome is not so great as to be a turntablist, you couldn't suck. EDM djs tend to just have no musical intuition. I wouln't say culture is such a thing now. In the 20s , sure, every black guy had rhythm because they were exposed to it because it was part of the culture, white people not so much. But as far as in 2010, i think you will find as many hacks on each side. Just look at the hip hop producers on youtube making their beats. Terrible.

There is also a lag in technology in terms of hip hop vs EDM. There always has been. So although i can't really say i've heard the mixes you are talking about, i'm sure they are just as offensive as their EDM counter parts using the FX.

Old Post Apr-22-2012 02:10 
Click Here to See the Profile for Looney4Clooney Click here to Send Looney4Clooney a Private Message Add Looney4Clooney to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
PivotTechno
senseless

Re: House dj mixes vs hip hop djs

quote:
Originally posted by colione98
I have always wondered why electronic/house djs don't get creative during mix cds or radio/podcasts?

What's the real reason?

Syndicated shows = usually wanting to showcase tracks in their entirety for promotional purposes.

Personal podcasts, etc = not wanting to fuck up by taking any undue risks. Some will say they make their studio sets for listening purposes, rather than dancing, but c'mon, it is "dance" music, ffs.

Personally, when I record a studio mix, I play as if I'm in a big room, in front of an up for it crowd. I also play on three decks, which means that I'll invariably bobble a mix here and there, but it's a fair trade-off for something that feels dancefloor raw and ready.

WestsideWax Soundcloud

WestsideWax Mixcloud

New! WestsideWax Archives

Last edited by PivotTechno on Apr-23-2012 at 03:32

Old Post Apr-22-2012 14:28 
Click Here to See the Profile for PivotTechno Click here to Send PivotTechno a Private Message Add PivotTechno to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Imagin
Senior tranceaddict

Most of the EQ'ing/FX/scratches is because with Hip-Hop the drums will rarely line up. It gives a break to make a smooth transition to the next track.

Old Post Apr-22-2012 22:50  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Imagin Click here to Send Imagin a Private Message Visit Imagin's homepage! Add Imagin to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
itsamemario
Divine Angel

Re: House dj mixes vs hip hop djs

quote:
Originally posted by colione98

Hip hop djs have been getting down with fx/eq'ing etc. both live and on the radio. EDM djs only seem to do it live.

What's the real reason?

You listen to shit edm dj's-

Old Post Apr-27-2012 10:08  Norway
Click Here to See the Profile for itsamemario Click here to Send itsamemario a Private Message Visit itsamemario's homepage! Add itsamemario to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
PivotTechno
senseless

Re: Re: House dj mixes vs hip hop djs

quote:
Originally posted by dj_alfi
You listen to shit edm dj's-

Go make yourself useless.

Oh, wait...

WestsideWax Soundcloud

WestsideWax Mixcloud

New! WestsideWax Archives

Old Post Apr-27-2012 14:28 
Click Here to See the Profile for PivotTechno Click here to Send PivotTechno a Private Message Add PivotTechno to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Looney4Clooney
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Euforix

that was kinda brutal.

Old Post Apr-27-2012 17:04 
Click Here to See the Profile for Looney4Clooney Click here to Send Looney4Clooney a Private Message Add Looney4Clooney to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
discobiscuit
Supreme tranceaddict

I think a lot if edm djs do their radio sets with computer/midi. The hip hoppers are using cdj/tts.

U can hear edm mixing mistakes easier so edm djs are more conservative; esp when recording or on the radio.

Its hard to pump up a crowd in a studio setting because there is no crowd.

Hip hop songs are shorter so they are on the mic more. Hip hop djs are usually very capable MC's too.

I dont know many hip hop djs who use efx btw the turntable is an instrument. Id rather do subtle scratching than ruin a song w efx.

Theres also the argument of apples and oranges

Old Post May-12-2012 18:36  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for discobiscuit Click here to Send discobiscuit a Private Message Add discobiscuit to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
discobiscuit
Supreme tranceaddict

I hate djing in studios, recording mixes, and djing for no1. It sucks and i suck in that kind of situation. I got a lot of my gigs by doing the first night free, not with a promo mix.

Old Post May-12-2012 18:43  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for discobiscuit Click here to Send discobiscuit a Private Message Add discobiscuit to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DizkokidD
Supreme tranceaddict

then maybe you havent heard of...

"Because, even e-tards like you deserve better music." -

Old Post May-17-2012 16:55  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for DizkokidD Click here to Send DizkokidD a Private Message Add DizkokidD to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth > House dj mixes vs hip hop djs
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackAnne Savage/Lee Haslam Tidy London ID [2005] [5]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackGreens Keepers - Keep it Down (radio slave dub) [2005]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread