Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > When does a track become a classic?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Mattsanity
Supreme tranceaddict

Does it become classic simply by turning a certain age? What about tracks from the last 10 years?

Old Post Dec-05-2021 14:22  South Korea
Click Here to See the Profile for Mattsanity Click here to Send Mattsanity a Private Message Add Mattsanity to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Midlothian
Reaping the percussions

A classic in whose eyes?

System F - Out of the Blue became a classic almost instantly (even if that's easiest to say retrospectively)---it was perceived by many to be different, something new (compared to previous trance), which e.g. led a number of British label owners to immediately try and sign it, and certain DJs immediately went on to play it, and it subsequently became a trailblazing track whose way of doing trance was imitated by others and it became known as the prime example of that recognisable Dutch trance template, as acknowledged by fans and haters alike. You can despise it for all sorts of reasons but its influence cannot be denied.
I think it was one of Twan's producer-interview videos that featured the anecdote that when the label sent out the first test pressings they deliberately made the record label info stamped or etched on the vinyl runout illegible so if people got interested it was going to be a bit of a mystery who might be the producer/label behind this 'special' record. Which gives the impression they knew there'd be a good chance that this record was going to be picked up as something new and different.
I supposed one might say Armin - Communication was already derivative, going the same trajectory of being picked up for commercial release in the UK, but not having the same impact (I think).

Ergo, hype, dj/airplay, commercial potential, and both uniqueness and recognition.. Unless something becomes a classic for none of these reasons altogether. And talent? Within the trance framework Ferry Corsten was at the time a much better producer than peers (to be) such as Armin and Tiësto, although obviously in the broader context of electronic music it wasn't merely his producing skills that made him stand out in this instance.

Old Post Dec-05-2021 18:34  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Midlothian Click here to Send Midlothian a Private Message Add Midlothian to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
JonDC
Supreme tranceaddict

It’s quite a good question to be fair

There’s 3 criteria that spring to mind for me:
1 Did the track make a significant impact on *it’s* scene when it was released?
2. Did the track have an impact on other scenes as well? (Did it get played by various DJs across different genres)
3. Does it still sound amazing today? And an acid test here is probably ‘could it be played in a modern set without sounding completely contrived?’

There’s probably a few different levels of classic.
A stone wall classic is one that satisfies all 3 of the above. Something like Age Of Love (Jam & Spoon remix) obviously ticks all boxes

Then you’ve got classics within a genre, which only satisfy criteria #1. An obvious example off the top of my head would be something like Motorcycle- As The Rush Comes. It was a huge track in the trance scene when it was released, getting played by every single DJ and featuring on every compilation album. It wouldn’t work in a modern set, and I suspect everyone outside of the trance scene would sneer at it, but I don’t think anyone would argue that it’s a classic trance record (whether you like it or not)

The third criteria is one that gives license to have a collection of ‘personal classics’. Tunes that you used to hammer in all your sets back in the day, which you have a special place in your heart for, but weren’t necessarily known by a broad audience. I’ve got my own ones here; something like Moshic - Una Hamm (Hypnotic Duo remix) would tick this box for me, but I don’t suspect that many people wouldn’t know if. To me, it will always be a personal classic

The third criteria is obviously a bit spurious, but I think there’s something in it 😀

Old Post Dec-05-2021 23:29  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for JonDC Click here to Send JonDC a Private Message Add JonDC to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

There's no hard and fast answer, but on the most simplistic level a "classic" is a track that appeared in a lot of DJ sets when it came out. If that happened, it will be guaranteed to be regarded as a classic eventually, and the only question is how long. Usually it takes a solid decade for people to get misty eyed about these things, but I look back on tunes like Bicep's remix of A Higher Level from 2016 or Damon Jee's remix of Power To The People from 2017 and think "that's going to be remembered as a classic".

I do think Jon's right in distinguishing scene classics from overall unquestionable classics that have transcended their little genre. The latter have become rarer as dance music has become increasingly compartmentalised into little sub-scenes, but they still come around occasionally. Even if we look back in time, Out Of The Blue was strictly a trance classic, but The Man With The Red Face is a capital C Classic.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Dec-06-2021 00:47  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Midlothian
Reaping the percussions

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
Even if we look back in time, Out Of The Blue was strictly a trance classic, but The Man With The Red Face is a capital C Classic.

Absolutely right - my attempt with the example of OOTB was a narrow one (though with broader relevance in the light of those using it to cast "trance" as they define it in a particular light).

Nice posts by the lads here.

Old Post Dec-06-2021 09:24  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Midlothian Click here to Send Midlothian a Private Message Add Midlothian to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

It's still a good example of how a brand new tune can "feel" instantly classic. If you hear a track seemingly every time you go out, if the whole crowd seems to know it and if it drives everyone bonkers, then pretty much immediately you think "Instant classic".

Again, these feel a lot more rare these days because dance music has diversified so much and the sheer volume of new music is so great that tracks get washed away much more quickly, but I can think of a few modern examples: Kolsch - Der Alte, Floorplan - Tell You No Lie or Todd Terje - Inspector Norse were all instant classics and will take their place in the pantheon alongside the likes of Energy Flash, Knights Of The Jaguar and LFO.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Dec-06-2021 10:49  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
planetaryplayer
Surpeme traineanddict

when we did pre drinks and played tunes before heading out whatever found its way into multiple track listings became personal classics even if they did not get much attention outside the cellar

Old Post Dec-06-2021 15:41  Norfolk Island
Click Here to See the Profile for planetaryplayer Click here to Send planetaryplayer a Private Message Add planetaryplayer to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mattsanity
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by JonDC
It’s quite a good question to be fair

There’s 3 criteria that spring to mind for me:
1 Did the track make a significant impact on *it’s* scene when it was released?
2. Did the track have an impact on other scenes as well? (Did it get played by various DJs across different genres)
3. Does it still sound amazing today? And an acid test here is probably ‘could it be played in a modern set without sounding completely contrived?’

There’s probably a few different levels of classic.
A stone wall classic is one that satisfies all 3 of the above. Something like Age Of Love (Jam & Spoon remix) obviously ticks all boxes

Then you’ve got classics within a genre, which only satisfy criteria #1. An obvious example off the top of my head would be something like Motorcycle- As The Rush Comes. It was a huge track in the trance scene when it was released, getting played by every single DJ and featuring on every compilation album. It wouldn’t work in a modern set, and I suspect everyone outside of the trance scene would sneer at it, but I don’t think anyone would argue that it’s a classic trance record (whether you like it or not)

The third criteria is one that gives license to have a collection of ‘personal classics’. Tunes that you used to hammer in all your sets back in the day, which you have a special place in your heart for, but weren’t necessarily known by a broad audience. I’ve got my own ones here; something like Moshic - Una Hamm (Hypnotic Duo remix) would tick this box for me, but I don’t suspect that many people wouldn’t know if. To me, it will always be a personal classic

The third criteria is obviously a bit spurious, but I think there’s something in it 😀

I remember how people were being edgy by saying ATRC isn't as good as people are hyping it up to be. But it's catchy and sounded different from the usual uplifting trance that was coming out at the time. Out Of the Blue had the same impact as well.

Last edited by Mattsanity on Dec-06-2021 at 22:03

Old Post Dec-06-2021 21:48  South Korea
Click Here to See the Profile for Mattsanity Click here to Send Mattsanity a Private Message Add Mattsanity to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mattsanity
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
There's no hard and fast answer, but on the most simplistic level a "classic" is a track that appeared in a lot of DJ sets when it came out. If that happened, it will be guaranteed to be regarded as a classic eventually, and the only question is how long. Usually it takes a solid decade for people to get misty eyed about these things, but I look back on tunes like Bicep's remix of A Higher Level from 2016 or Damon Jee's remix of Power To The People from 2017 and think "that's going to be remembered as a classic".

I do think Jon's right in distinguishing scene classics from overall unquestionable classics that have transcended their little genre. The latter have become rarer as dance music has become increasingly compartmentalised into little sub-scenes, but they still come around occasionally. Even if we look back in time, Out Of The Blue was strictly a trance classic, but The Man With The Red Face is a capital C Classic.

I know little to nothing about the last 10 years but man, Bicep is a name that can't be avoided.

Old Post Dec-08-2021 02:13  South Korea
JonDC
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Mattsanity
I know little to nothing about the last 10 years but man, Bicep is a name that can't be avoided.

One of the things I’d challenge is how long something needs to be out before you can safely call it a classic. Bicep - Glue was very obviously an instant classic in my books

Old Post Dec-08-2021 07:24  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for JonDC Click here to Send JonDC a Private Message Add JonDC to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sykonee
Supreme EMCritic

Taking this quandary further...

How might a classic track *lose* its classic status?

Its genre become woefully outdated? It wasn't really much of a 'classic' in the first place, and grows forgotten as that clubbing generation moves on? The producer of said track gets 'cancelled', reducing their body of work rather icky to hear again?

(~)

Old Post Dec-08-2021 12:42  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Sykonee Click here to Send Sykonee a Private Message Visit Sykonee's homepage! Add Sykonee to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
JonDC
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Sykonee
Taking this quandary further...

How might a classic track *lose* its classic status?

Its genre become woefully outdated? It wasn't really much of a 'classic' in the first place, and grows forgotten as that clubbing generation moves on? The producer of said track gets 'cancelled', reducing their body of work rather icky to hear again?

Can you give any examples of tracks that fit the bill?

Old Post Dec-08-2021 19:37  United Kingdom

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > When does a track become a classic?
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackNeed an ID on this please - Tech House [2010] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackLayo & Bushwacka - Let the Good Times Roll [2002]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread