Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Suppose you are a digital music store employee who needs to make an audio preview...
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Mattsanity
Supreme tranceaddict

Suppose you are a digital music store employee who needs to make an audio preview...

which part of the track would you preview for the consumers?

Old Post May-05-2022 20:36  South Korea
Click Here to See the Profile for Mattsanity Click here to Send Mattsanity a Private Message Add Mattsanity to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

Funnily enough, this is my actual job. I work for Beatport, and my sole duty is to listen to thousands of tracks every day in order to determine which 2 minutes of each one should form the preview clip. I like to fit as much of the breakdown and as few of the beats in as possible, ideally cutting things off just as the breakdown is about to end so potential customers are completely unable to judge how useful a tune is on a dancefloor.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post May-06-2022 14:11  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mattsanity
Supreme tranceaddict

I didn't know that. It's nice that you brought context to an otherwise daft thread.

Old Post May-06-2022 15:47  South Korea
Click Here to See the Profile for Mattsanity Click here to Send Mattsanity a Private Message Add Mattsanity to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lews
Platipus And Prog Addict

via GIPHY

Old Post May-06-2022 18:29 
Click Here to See the Profile for Lews Click here to Send Lews a Private Message Add Lews to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
hoopoe
tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
I work for Beatport, and my sole duty is to listen to thousands of tracks every day

Do the Samaritans recognise your number by now?

Old Post May-06-2022 22:41 
Click Here to See the Profile for hoopoe Click here to Send hoopoe a Private Message Add hoopoe to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sykonee
Supreme EMCritic

quote:
Funnily enough, this is my actual job. I work for Beatport, and my sole duty is to listen to thousands of tracks every day in order to determine which 2 minutes of each one should form the preview clip. I like to fit as much of the breakdown and as few of the beats in as possible, ideally cutting things off just as the breakdown is about to end so potential customers are completely unable to judge how useful a tune is on a dancefloor.

Try being the guy who has to decide which 2 minutes of a 20 minute ambient drone piece is the 'catchy' part.

(~)

Old Post May-07-2022 01:36  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Sykonee Click here to Send Sykonee a Private Message Visit Sykonee's homepage! Add Sykonee to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

Matt has literally never got a joke in his life.

Old Post May-07-2022 16:40  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mattsanity
Supreme tranceaddict

I was in a rush so I didn't take in the whole post properly. I get it now.

Old Post May-07-2022 18:00  South Korea
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

Serious answer: it's done automatically by an algorithm and always selects the exact middle of the tune, unless the track is short (IE: 4 minutes or under) in which case it seems to skew more towards the beginning of the track. It just has an unfortunate tendency on tunes with big breakdowns to result in a useless clip with no beats audible.

Old Post May-07-2022 18:13  England
Sykonee
Supreme EMCritic

As someone who actually has spent time making a few hundred, 2 minute long audio clips of McProg, anthem house, eurotrance, hardstyle, and any number of other types of tunes with obnoxiously long breakdowns, builds, and drops, let me tell you many of them are almost factory designed to be unwieldy as such. You either end up showcasing the lead-up, then fading out during the breakdown, or start during the breakdown, giving only a small taster of the track's peak, sometimes which is half as short as the lead-in. But you almost always are forced to include some part of that got'dang beakdown/build/drop, always taking up at least 2/3rds of the track.

Of course, if the track has a 2 minute long breakdown/build (eg: Rank 1's Airwave), then I'd just use that for the whole clip.

(~)

Old Post May-08-2022 13:21  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Sykonee Click here to Send Sykonee a Private Message Visit Sykonee's homepage! Add Sykonee to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mattsanity
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Serious answer: it's done automatically by an algorithm and always selects the exact middle of the tune, unless the track is short (IE: 4 minutes or under) in which case it seems to skew more towards the beginning of the track. It just has an unfortunate tendency on tunes with big breakdowns to result in a useless clip with no beats audible.

So wait, you don't work for Beatport? Man, you got me good.

Old Post May-10-2022 02:02  South Korea
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

My taste in music isn't bad enough to work for Beatport.

Old Post May-10-2022 07:23  England

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Suppose you are a digital music store employee who needs to make an audio preview...
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackHELP ID : Set by Christopher Lawrence ( sample included) [2006] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackDark Suite feat. Aura - "Dark Sweet Piano" [2004]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread