return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 
mixing with a sub, or no sub
View this Thread in Original format
prestige
for all you TA's that record your own sets, i was wonderin if you guys mix better with or without a sub.

i have 2 altec lansing subs that i use when i mix, and during my set all my transitions sound flawlwss to me.

but when i play them back, i can hear that the transitions are slightly appart..

is it the same with you guys..???
DjJade
well i think this is a matter of mixing style... bass is always good to get your beats in ball park but mixing highs is much more precise imho... especially if you have a sub thats sorta muddy its like trying to mix with sony 700s [sorry i had to say that becuase i had that problem : )] anyway so yeah...depends on what your style is and also how good your sub is. mine is tuned to hit the really low notes so i use it to get my beats close and also for some phasing but my bookshelf speakers have pretty tight bass so those are a bit better for beat matching. mixing highs always works since the waves are much closer together by nature and thus more precise. i donno it just makes sense to me but again thats just my opinion
hey cheggy
If you're recording, don't use subs, cos it will make the kicks bigger, and so they seem like they are together when they are not. Turn the sub off for recording to get the kicks in line, then you can turn them on when playing back if you want that extra bass.
deejay2002
lol I wish i have subs.....i want that "CLUBBY" feeling when i play........ :wtf:
DJ_Shockwav
subs are a waste for recording
they only do good when you're listening

even on a big system you'll have smaller tighter speakers for monitors
like the eons or equivalent

turn off your subs when recording
listen to the high end to beatmatch, you'll notice a huge difference in your recordings after a week or less
prestige
alright thanks alot guys.. i tried out what you guys said, and i can mix alot better now..

thanks again
ludeboy12
sounds like good advice....

and though im too new to record any REAL sets yet im def gonna try this out....

thanx for the tip
Trance_Nut
quote:
Originally posted by DJ_Shockwav

even on a big system you'll have smaller tighter speakers for monitors

This is true. The club that i spin at has 4 'cans' as we call them. Each can has 4 22 inch subs inside, each can being placed through out the club for the lows. It is all fine and dandy but in the booth to monitor we have a JBL monitor. Hits only midbass and up. When i mix i dont even listen to the boom of a kick. I could actually do well w/o bass. To get the most accurate transistions, listen to the highs. But if you are recording make sure the bass is coming from one speaker. not a sub and speaker combo. For one the sub is tuned to a frequency that it seems to sound good and loud at. For two there is a slight delay between the speaker and sub and for three: if you are mixing you want good clean TIGHT bass. boomy bass will only make your transitions seem muddy and echo-ie when you play them back. Any other questions ask away.
JohnSmith
22 inch? :eyespop: holy that's almost 2 feet! the biggest i usually see around here is 18"s
prestige
quote:
Originally posted by JohnSmith
22 inch? :eyespop: holy that's almost 2 feet! the biggest i usually see around here is 18"s

ya, strait up yo... 22 inch is pretty big. are you sure its 22 and not 18?

Busy Child
amateurs beatmatch with bass alone
Trance_Nut
quote:
Originally posted by prestige
ya, strait up yo... 22 inch is pretty big. are you sure its 22 and not 18?

Remember that is not for my home use. This is a night club. and yes. they are 22's. How do i know? Ive replaced 4 of them inside of one of the cans that we over powered. According to the boxes they arrived in; 22 inches is it. But anyway this thread isnt about that, so get back on topic! lol
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement