return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Archives > Classic old threads / Inactive Forums > Frequently Asked Questions / Tutorials / How do I?

Onboard Graphics
View this Thread in Original format
CraSHer[UK]
Onboard / integrated Graphics

THe motherboard has 64Mb integrated graphics on this new sytem Im looking at.

How satisfactory is this? I dont really play the latest games, just maybe Half Life / CS now and again, maybe some UT as well.

Will these games still run ok (as in smooth on 640*480 or 800*600) with Athlon XP 2400 and 1Gb DDR Ram on the on board graphics, and can i designate more shared memory to the graphics?

any help appreciated

(btw Motherboard is Asrock K7VM2)
jonsimmonds
on board graphics are generally poo, id suggest geting a mobo with no graphics and a gf2 mx400 card, they are faily cheep and will do the same or better job than onboar.
yujie__
any onboard sucks if u are into gaming but its decent for normal used or playing old school games. get a radeon9700 and u will be happy as :eek:
[ groovypants ]
The Asrock K7VM2's onboard video is based on ProSavage8 chipset. And yes, as with everyone else, onboard cards are not very attractive @ all. However, if for some reason, you absolutely NEED oboard video, I would suggest considering buying a mobo thats based on the nFroce chipset. The onboard on these babies are almost on par with Geforce2 MX's which is good enough to play CS @ 800 x 600.
There's also the recent nForce2 design, which boosts the performce up to a Geforce4 MX. :)
kiddiejon
m8, your onboard graphics will be hot for games like cs and all half life variations, bearing in mind it's using ddr i wouldn't worry. tbh most modern games you WONT be able to play due to the fact that when a game installs it looks for a dedicated piece of hardware, so, although it will say on the side of the game box "32mb graphics card" you most likely wont be able to play it.
CraSHer[UK]
thanks for the replies

Im not really a hardcore gamer, so its not a priority but im pretty sure I could find a mid/low range Geforce for not much more than about £50
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement