return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

amp question
View this Thread in Original format
Hootchis
is it better to buy a dj specific amp or will any top of the line reciever get the job done?

and what is the main difference between the two styles?
auujay
The difference between a home hi-fi amp and a DJ amp is that DJ amps are usually made for lots of Watts but may not have the greatest THD or S/N. Home recievers on the other hand are differnt because they are two things, an amp and a source selector (with a preamp sometimes). As a DJ you do not need a preamp (the mixer does that as well as source selection), so at the minimum you need a poweramp of some sort. If you are going to be playing out as a mobile DJ it might be a good idea to get a rugged DJ amp, otherwise you can get a home poweramp. Make sense?

For home use a reciever will be fine.
Hootchis
thanks...makes complete sense.

one last thing....is there a difference in sound quality, and i would also imagine it's much easier to blow a home theatre amp over a poweramp....right?
Nabistai
I've never blown an amp, nor do I know anyone who has ever done, don't worry about that ;)
Trance_Nut
quote:
Originally posted by Nabistai
I've never blown an amp, nor do I know anyone who has ever done, don't worry about that ;)

You dont know me.... but now you have met someone. 6 hour party for my buddy's 24th bday bash. Was cut down to about 4 hours b/c we blew 2 amps in that time. (we only brought 3) even with full fan and averything to keep em cool... they still just fried. Thats what happened.

BTW that was home amp that went belly up. Since the completion of the mobile getup, my amp doesnt give me any crap.
Tiger777
Ya, after playing like 3 hours, my amp really can heat up too. But, I regulary feel to see if the air that is coming out of the amp isn't TOO hot.
DjTasper
my amp shut off 3 times during a gig people were getting pissed but thank god for drunk people! they got a crazy idea to go to houses around the neighborhood and their houses and ask for fans from people. they eneded up getting 4 and it worked the amp didn't shut off the rest of the night(4 hours)
DJ_Shockwav
i work for a local dj company and one night we had a massive show
we blew 5 amps that night, 4 bass bin amps and 1 mid/high
when all the amps (16 amps total) were working it sounded sooo good :)
amdmaxx
I plan to buy an amp to use in HT and DJing...
If u want a nice clean AMP with plenty of power and bass, look into ATi 3007. ( www.ati-amp.com ) 300 watts x 7 channels..
Might not be enough to power HUGE outdoor gigs but should be more than plenty for large houses, etc.. For DJing and mad power look into crown amps (Ce4000, ce 2000).. cheaper and crazy power, but u wont have the finesse of a home theater Amp..
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement