return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 3 
Php
View this Thread in Original format
Turbonium
What in the heck is PHP? I want to make a website this summer... but there's all these terms I've never heard of...

And should I use FrontPage or Dreamweaver? I already pretty much know how to use FrontPage, but not Dreamweaver. Worth learning Dreamweaver?
Swamper
http://www.php.net is a good resource as is http://www.phpbuilder.com

...Start reading and spend some time with it - it's quick to pick up and very powerful/flexible

I prefer Dreamweaver over Frontpage...I guess I find Frontpage too 'structured' and 'wizard-laden' for my liking.
Turbonium
Thanks Swamper. Ya, I agree with the Wizard thing...

I hope I get time to do this... I have summer school coming up :(
whiskers
mehehe, am i the only person to use the hardcore old-school method of plain HTML (well, a LITTLE java) in a notepad (html-kit, really, but it's the same damn notepad with a preview option)

mebbe i should go read some php stuff...
DJ RozzeR
php is a very cool language to learn , it is mainly used with sql though, php is a live langauge and can be very flexable, im sure php.com will teach you everything you need to know , if your going to build a site and you want to use php then i recommend you learn this HERE, also check out this HERE amazing for scripts
Nicke
quote:
Originally posted by whiskers
mehehe, am i the only person to use the hardcore old-school method of plain HTML (well, a LITTLE java) in a notepad (html-kit, really, but it's the same damn notepad with a preview option)

mebbe i should go read some php stuff...

I still use Notepad for websites, and I do code a little PHP (mostly $variable=variable stuff tho) :D
Turbonium
I still don't get why PHP is better than HTML. They both do the same thing.
Porky
quote:
Originally posted by DJ RozzeR
php is a very cool language to learn , it is mainly used with sql though, php is a live langauge and can be very flexable, im sure php.com will teach you everything you need to know , if your going to build a site and you want to use php then i recommend you learn this HERE, also check out this HERE amazing for scripts

php + mySQL = powerful combination

html should suffice for simple websites where u just want to post pix and stuff...but as your website grows, php is absolutely essential to make it dynamic

php is important b/c it makes your website dynamic, allowing for signons, randomization...it allows html code to be constructed on the fly.

i recommend php only for ppl who are serious about web design and who also have a basic understanding of programming... ie, C++ or something

Pork
Munken
quote:
Originally posted by Porky
i recommend php only for ppl who are serious about web design and who also have a basic understanding of programming... ie, C++ or something

Pork

I don't think that's necessary, i have never programmed any thing other than php (if you call that programming?) and i used to be quite good at php and mysql, until i lost interest in it.
igottaknow
quote:
Originally posted by Munken
php (if you call that programming?) and i used to be quite good at php.

I agree, I wouldn't call php programming either. Yes, its a very useful simple scripting language but let's not get carried away.

<?php echo "<p>Hello World</p>"; ?> :rolleyes:

Nicke
quote:
Originally posted by igottaknow
<?php echo "<p>Hello World</p>"; ?> :rolleyes:

1. Why do you have <p> in front? Totally unnecessary.
2. So is the </p> in the end. Way too many ppl use it..
3. print is cooler than echo :p
Turbonium
Does WinXP not get PHP? I'm trying this tutorial stuff and none of it seems to be coming out properly in the browser. I just get the code I typed in as the output, instead of the stuff the code is coding for...
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 
Privacy Statement