return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

more computer help
View this Thread in Original format
j_spot
Ok..so my computer is 'full' Im not buying a new HD, cuz well I cant afford to pay my bills as is, so I dont need another one(even tho its like $150 or something cheap like that)

of my 20GB HD Ive got 1 gig left, and well..want to clean up.
Ive moved all the stuff I want to save into one folder, and am burning it to CD(of 19 gigs of stuff on here, I only want to save 4)

so after I burn all my stuff to Cd, what is the best process to clean it all up? What do I need?

is it easy to do for somebody whos not so computer inclined? or should I pay for somebody to do it?
Moongoose
The best proces to clean it is low level disk format, which whipes off everything including the particion but i dont think u want that :)
You just select the files that you want to delete and delete them, after that run a disk defragmentation tool, as the remaining files are bound to be scattered all over the now empty disk. After this your HD is ready to be filled up with crap once again :)

BTW norton does a quicker job than microsoft defrag, but theres no need to install norton just for that :) Just a thought if u already have that

Oh i musnt forget. Dont delete programs like this. Anything you installed has to be uninstalled. If u cant find the correct icon in the start menum goto ---> control panel ---> add or remove programs, and then select the programyou want to uninstall from the list. If you would just delete the program the registry entries would stay and windows would be running slow (like it is now :))

Hope that helps :)
St_Andrew
I would recomend you to format the drive, it's not that hard and very good if you want all crap away! just delete some files doesn't speed up the computer in the same way!
jonsimmonds
quote:
Originally posted by j_spot
Ok..so my computer is 'full' Im not buying a new HD, cuz well I cant afford to pay my bills as is, so I dont need another one(even tho its like $150 or something cheap like that)

of my 20GB HD Ive got 1 gig left, and well..want to clean up.
Ive moved all the stuff I want to save into one folder, and am burning it to CD(of 19 gigs of stuff on here, I only want to save 4)

so after I burn all my stuff to Cd, what is the best process to clean it all up? What do I need?

is it easy to do for somebody whos not so computer inclined? or should I pay for somebody to do it?

what operating system is it? if its windows ME or XP it could well be system restore using the harddisk space. System restore basically saves your hardware settings and each time you update hardware it will save the current state before updating the hardware incase of problems etc, but it can hog harddrive space to.
SRP-ReAlign
There are also a lot of files in your temp directories. Everytime you browse through the web your system saves data from the visited websites in those directories. When I last cleaned up my system there were several gigabytes of useless data. Removing this data is the easiest way to gain new harddisk space.

For this there are many programs you can get for free in the internet, e.g. "Purgatio Pro" or "WinSweep". They are very easy to handle and it is unlikely that you erase needed files. In addition to that you should scan your registry for invalid or no longer needed entries. This will make your system boot up faster.Unfortunately I cannot recall a program for that, but you will find loads of these in the internet too. Then of course you have to defrag your harddisk.

But the ultimate command ist still: format c: /q
I would recommend a full system re-install every year. Save your important data and format your disk. When you have reinstalled your operating system everything will work smother. You have a clean registry and need not worry about loads of files you are not sure about whether your system still needs them or not.
j_spot
so I tried to defrag, only it tells me I need to run Scandisk
I run scandisk, but it only ever gets to ~85% complete before it goes back to 0%.....
it tells me that something is writing to the disk, even tho the only 2 programs running are explorer and Scandisk

now what are my options?
and somewhere in there I managed to free up 2 gigs...dont know how..but it happened.
St_Andrew
quote:
Originally posted by j_spot
so I tried to defrag, only it tells me I need to run Scandisk
I run scandisk, but it only ever gets to ~85% complete before it goes back to 0%.....
it tells me that something is writing to the disk, even tho the only 2 programs running are explorer and Scandisk

I also had that problem a long time ago, i think i deactivated the antivirusprogram and rebooted, then it worked to defrag!
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement