return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 3 
Anyone watch Dateline last night...(GHB)
View this Thread in Original format
BonGWateR
Last night on Dateline they did a special about this Dad who got hooked on GHB. He was completely out of it- convulsing, sweating, in his own world entirely. His poor kids, who were 10 & 13, documented the course of his addiction while he was at home on video. (He's in jail now for DRIVING on the e...)

Anyway, my boyfriend and I were thinking that they should document people on all hard drugs- picture someone on Ecstacy rolling their ass off- and show it to kids at about 11 or 12 years old. From our reaction to Dateline last night, I think this would seriously decrease hard drug use amounst kids when they get a bit older. It would scare them straight if nothing else...

Any opinions?
butterfly
yeah... you dont realize how ing stupid you look when you are rolling...
occrider
quote:
Originally posted by butterfly
yeah... you dont realize how ing stupid you look when you are rolling...

What's so stupid looking about having a baby pacifier in your mouth, candy necklaces, vicks under your nose, a dust mask around your neck, and heart/star ornaments on your viser? :D
joeh152
Its getting banned here very soon.

5 year prison sentance for possession.

Saying that you could technically get life in prison for giving a friend esctacy (not that would ever happen).
QuickStep
I completely disagree with shows like Dateline and 20/20, when they do these indepth stories about drugs and abuse. They mainly are scare tactics and only work on few viewers. The problem is that if kids watch this without their parent explaining what is happening, then they are just more curious to try it out.

Everyone remembers when Dateline did their "special" on raves and exstacy. Well, it lead to more people going and the rave scence getting pushed into the general culture. The more the goverment uses scare tactics, the more they raise awareness to kids would not of even cared until it appeared on TV.

What do we need to do you might ask?

The government should A) Start helping those who are addicted to chemicals nore, instead of treating them like a disease, B) Give parents better tools to address strong issues.

It should always start from the home I believe. I plan to nuture my kids when I have them and talk to them about anything they want, this way I don't have to scare them from not doing something.

Ok, this is way long.
occrider
quote:
Originally posted by QuickStep
I completely disagree with shows like Dateline and 20/20, when they do these indepth stories about drugs and abuse. They mainly are scare tactics and only work on few viewers. The problem is that if kids watch this without their parent explaining what is happening, then they are just more curious to try it out.

Everyone remembers when Dateline did their "special" on raves and exstacy. Well, it lead to more people going and the rave scence getting pushed into the general culture. The more the goverment uses scare tactics, the more they raise awareness to kids would not of even cared until it appeared on TV.

What do we need to do you might ask?

The government should A) Start helping those who are addicted to chemicals nore, instead of treating them like a disease, B) Give parents better tools to address strong issues.

It should always start from the home I believe. I plan to nuture my kids when I have them and talk to them about anything they want, this way I don't have to scare them from not doing something.

Ok, this is way long.

Well I think that part of the purpose of the show is to educate parents about stuff like this so they could possibly educate their kids. However, shows like these do over-dramatisize the risks or the danger to get better ratings, which leads to parents being unrelenting/iron-fisted with their kids, which leads to more kids rebelling. I dunno, dateline and 20/20 do have some good stories on corruption and the like.
Busy Child
theyre just trying to prevent kids from doing drugs. . . .i dont have a problem with taht.
QuickStep
I'm not taking away the fact that they at least address the issue, instead of hiding it.

I just think we need to educate parents better, and then provide tools for them to teach their kids. The media is the last person that I want educating my kids about drugs and alcohol.

screw it, I'm moving to Canada
DrummeRaver86
I didn't get a chance to catch the episdoe of Dateline, but I'm sure it was...well...trippy. Also, I agree with Occrider. Candy Kids are SO dumb, they're just absolutely ridiculous.
I know if my mom watched that Dateline, she would have taken away all my trance CD's and stuff. She's been on to me about Ecstacy and clubbing ever since I started listening to trance!!!:whip: :whip:
occrider
quote:
Originally posted by DrummeRaver86
I didn't get a chance to catch the episdoe of Dateline, but I'm sure it was...well...trippy. Also, I agree with Occrider. Candy Kids are SO dumb, they're just absolutely ridiculous.
I know if my mom watched that Dateline, she would have taken away all my trance CD's and stuff. She's been on to me about Ecstacy and clubbing ever since I started listening to trance!!!:whip: :whip:

How can you listen to trance when you're missing the U of PLUR??? We must be united with the candy kids in order for the scene as a whole to exist and prosper! ;)

Oh well, I can respect their right look as silly as they want to be but there's no way in hell I'm lovin it.

DrummeRaver86
quote:
Originally posted by occrider
How can you listen to trance when you're missing the U of PLUR??? We must be united with the candy kids in order for the scene as a whole to exist and prosper! ;)

Oh well, I can respect their right look as silly as they want to be but there's no way in hell I'm lovin it.

haha, for a second there I thought you were correcting me on my spelling, but then I realized you were talking about P.L.U.R. :happy2: :happy2:
Yeah, if Kandy Kids weren't around, then there would be no reason for mainstream s to make fun of trancers!!
_Nut_
quote:
Originally posted by occrider

I hate candy kids. They are the ones that alot of up. I hate going to a venue and seeing all these lite brite looking kids. They claim they are about peace love unity and respect... heh. its more like "lets get some E or LSA and drop that." If people are here for the music... it shouldnt take drugs to like it.

Why do i have a problem with candy kids? b/c one that i dated almost got me killed.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 
Privacy Statement