return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

recording a set in a club...
View this Thread in Original format
Inertia
never done it before...

what method do you guys recommend?
Tiger777
Minidisk, 2 RCA's in the Recorder output of the club mixer and start recording :D
bachatu
Minidisc player can work as mentioned by Tiger777, but if its a portable one, i dont know of one that has an output (so you can transfer the recording out from mini disc). However, minidisc player deck will certain have inputs and outputs.
Another choice would be a cd recorder. Using RCA record out from mixer to the input (RCA) of cd recorder... or even better yet, if the mixer has digital out, use a fiber optic cable or coaxial digital cable to the cd recorder deck.
Another option would be to a laptop computer. Using the record out (rca) on the mixer to minijack input of laptop. Of course, you would have to record with software that will record for you (cool edit, sound forge, etc)
Dj Flesch
There are also MP3 recorders that can record in wave format--20GB worth is a pretty damn long set :) They are better than MDs in my opinon, though they do cost a little bit ($200-$300) for a good one. Also, is you can get your hands on a fast laptop with an external soundcard, this will work too. Just make sure the processor is fast and the soundcard is good quality.
Tiger777
On quality the MP3 players loose against the MD's huh... MP3's, even in >400 kbps where MDs have the quality of CD's. But, ya, you have to change disk every 75 minits... but that's the same with CD recorders huh.
djtrancendance
another idea would be to bring in a laptop (or desktop?) with a program like Cool Edit Pro and just have it record the output from the mixer
b i n k u n
quote:
Originally posted by Tiger777
On quality the MP3 players loose against the MD's huh... MP3's, even in >400 kbps where MDs have the quality of CD's. But, ya, you have to change disk every 75 minits... but that's the same with CD recorders huh.

MD is not CD quality....the compression algorithm is different then mp3 so i'm not exactly what the comparison is, but in no way is MD equal to CD quality.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement