return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

technics M3Ds...anything against 'em??..opinions needed.
View this Thread in Original format
SgtFoo
I'll be getting a pair of Technics SL-1200 M3D TTs for $399.95 US / $557.85 CDN each and After seeing so many setups in the "post your dj setup" thread, i don't see many M3Ds, nor do I notice many on the net, and etc, etc.... basically it seems that nobody talks about them either.... these are discontinued right?

so is there anything wrong with getting these? or would I be better off with a different model? I really like em and the features included. it's just that the lack of gossip about the M3Ds has made me somewhat skeptical. opinions?
RobertRollie
same as a mkII with different coloured lights and cover. Over priced piece piece of junk.
red eyed phil
I want to get these too. i dont see anything wrong with them. i guess in Europe the price is a lot more expensive.

to SgtFoo:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/electro...cslprodjtu.html

I just saved you 13.99, mister.:cool: =p
SgtFoo
quote:
Originally posted by red eyed phil
I want to get these too. i dont see anything wrong with them. i guess in Europe the price is a lot more expensive.

to SgtFoo:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/electro...cslprodjtu.html

I just saved you 13.99, mister.:cool: =p

Thanks, but I'm buying them from another online store b/c of reliability reasons.
Vlad
The only REAL difference between the MKII and the M3D is the pitch fader. the M3D has a smooth transition when you go through the 0% mark, the MKII have a lock at the 0%, so when you go over the 0 mark, it clicks onto 0.
auujay
I have the M3D and they are great. VERY similier to the Mk2, most important difference being no "click" at 0 pitch (there is a button the zeros pitch).

I think one reason why a lot of the setups on here do not have them is because they were not out a few years ago, so if you got your set up then, the good Techs were Mk2s.

The other reason mught be that now that the M3Ds have been out awhile, mk2s are cheaper (by like 50 bucks) sometimes.
JohnSmith
yep, the only significant difference is the no click pitch fader. contrary to popular belief there is no difference in color.

Another nice bonus is that with the M3Ds you get slipmatts, really good ones too. slipmatts can cost you $30 extra for a pair if you get MK2s, and might not be as good as the technics ones, which are awesome.
auujay
Good point the slip mates are nice, as well as the nice wax paper slip that goes between them and the platter. I am glad I got the M3Ds or the Mk2.
bachatu
As mentioned before, the difference is that M3d pitch does not lock at 0, instead there is a reset switch .
Also, the pitch on the MK2 has a resistant ball spring in the pitch, giving the pitch extra resistance, while the M3D does not have it. The Mk2 is gonna have a tighter feel.
Also, the MK2 has hinges for the dustcover, so the dustcover is not copletely loose, where as the M3D does not have hinges for dustcover
M3D includes felt & rubber slipmat with wax paper, in addition to a Technics headshell w weight. Panasonic supposedly removed the hinges for convinience when quick operation of the tt was needed.
But the funny thing is that on the MK2s, you can remove dustcover from the hinges.. its slips right off, so you still can remove the dustcover or secure it. I believe they did the change to save some money
M3D has a less bulkier power switch, so the tt is not accidently turned off while playing live (works best with ppl who are very active with their hands like turntablist)
Keep in mind that the technics 1210 mk2 includes a felt slipmat, i think, a blue one.
Other than what i mentioned above, inside they are identical and carry identical parts that are interchangable.
one is not going to outperform the other.. torque is same.
DJ Charlie
Wait a minute...
what wax paper ? I don't have that..
is it better to use one ?
can I make my own from that roll of wax paper for sandwiches in my kitchen or is it a special waxed paper ?

and about the mk2 vs m3d
I think its better to practice on mk2 at home... cause when you'll be playing in a club.. you'll be used to it.. and even better.. if you found yourself playing on m3d in the club.. its gonna be a lot more easier for you to mix in the near 0 pitch section

auujay
Yes you can make your own. Just cut a piece of wax paper the size of the slip matt and stick between the platter and slipmatt.
Boomer187
I prefer the m3d's myself. I really hate the click at zero on my other mk2's.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement