return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 
1 weird question
View this Thread in Original format
AnotherWay83
has to do with breathing...i dont know abt u all...but for me, my nose has always been weird, in that at any given time, only ONE of my nostrils is 'functioning'...its really weird, sumtimes im breathing only thru my left nostril for a certain amount of time, other times only thru my right for some other amount of time, but never thru both...and it seems to switch randomly from one nostril to the next...is this normal? i always thought it was until i started asking around lol...and the ppl. i asked can breath equally well thru both nostrils...wtf..i can only breath thru one...if i close the functioning nostril and cover my mouth, i suffocate

ne1 else with the same problem??
HyPeRSoNiC
nope! both nostrils fully functional here :)
Izzy
quote:
Originally posted by HyPeRSoNiC
nope! both nostrils fully functional here :)

same here...
nothing personal AnotherWay, but you may want to get that checked out by a doctor, you're missing out on the double nostril goodness
The Highroller
Happens to me when I get a cold , and sometimes when I'm just breathing regularily one nostril is more blocked than the other, but not blocked completely.

Never bothered me.
KilldaDJ
i breathe thru my mouth and nostrils simutaniously

it seems to work fine, so my nostrils aint broken :)

and yeah u should really take some vicks or summin to cure ur nostrils, its coo being able to breathe freely...unfourtunately it stinks in my room of fags and curry, but when u get outside its lovely jublu :)
Abject Silver
allergy
DJPrototypeX
quote:
Originally posted by The Highroller
Happens to me when I get a cold , and sometimes when I'm just breathing regularily one nostril is more blocked than the other, but not blocked completely.

Never bothered me.

ditto
reso
i have polyps in my nose due to allergies but like i dont have infections or its just harder to breathe so i like breathe through my mouth

- trogdor the burninator
"burninating in his natural paradise"
StereoPrincess
This is completely NORMAL. Even if the rest of you don't notice it, it is also happening to you. I noticed it long time ago and actually saw something on the Discovery channel about it. The nose randomly switches sides while you go through your day. This is so that your sense of smell does not get sensitized too much and you are able to smell your surroundings. For most people the difference in flow through the two nostrils is not noticible but it is there for sure. Its an adaptive thing. You need your sense of smell to tell you if there is poisons in the air. Its one of the first things that you notice in a place.
astroboy
I know this often happens at night to force you to turn onto your other side, keeps the circulation flowing...
However apart from when I have a cold, during the day I can breathe through both nostrils quite freely, if there is a difference in airflow it is very minor...
I'm pretty sure that if your nostril is blocked to the extent that you cant draw any air through it something isn't quite right... You may have some sort of sinus infection? Should go to a GP and get it checked out.

nickmahoney
holy sh!t, for the first time in a year on this boards, i can finally answer a medical question. i knew medical school wasnt a waste...

yes, its true about the rotation of the nostrils. between every half hour to every 3 hours the nostrils switch side. the 'over stimulation' theory is one proposed reason. the nostrils are not exactly entirely blocked, however, so it is indeed hard to notice for some people. this blockage is caused by natrual dilations and constrictions of smooth muscle and blood vessels in the upper sinus to constrict the intake of the nostril. you cant do much about it, but a doc can give you a perscription to relax (dilate) the sinus if you feel your having trouble breathing. a sign of this would also be sleep apnea, where you wake up at night unable to breath.

when sleeping at night, the sinus's are filled with fluid which drains down to the side you are sleeping on. the top nostril is the one you breath through. this was especially usefull evolutionarily for people who slept in caves with possible water levels so that the highest point on their body was where the air was taken in. when you awake, you can tell which side you slept on by percussing (tapping and listening for a hollow sound) your facial sinuses. you can also open one nostril or another by tilting your head for an extended period of time.

allergies result in inflammation (swelling) of the sinuses and also increased fluid production, exasperating the occurance and making it more noticable.

if the problem results in forced nasal inspiration, damage and inflammation may result, causing sinutisis and recurrent infection. that is not likely. another 'possible' problem is theoretical... there is a theory that forced breathing through the mouth has a higher inspiratory volume for the lungs, therefore gas exchange is less effecient per volume of air inspired. this may be associated with development of asthma symptoms, but i dont buy that.

my advice is that if you notice epistasis (nosebleeds), sleep apnea, or sinus infections, it may need consultation. if you notice it comes and goes with allergies, or if it just bothers you, mention it to your GP next time you go.

hope that helped, and remember, i'm just a student. always ask a real doc.
nickmahoney
oh yeah, there are people who claim they can control the nostril switching ... i think its a technique in yoga and cam.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement