return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 3 
Mars and the close encounter
View this Thread in Original format
DJ APX
Mars and the close encounter

This month and next Earth is catching up with Mars, an encounter that will culminate in the closest approach between the two planets in recorded history. The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287. Due to the way Jupiter's gravity tugs on Mars and perturbs its orbit, astronomers can only be certain that Mars has not come this close to Earth in the last 5,000 years but it may be as long as 60,000 years.

The encounter will culminate on August 27th when Mars comes to within 34,649,589 miles and will be (next to the moon) the brightest object in the night sky. It will attain a magnitude of -2.9 and will appear 25.11 arc seconds wide. At a modest 75-power magnification Mars will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye. Mars will be easy to spot. At the beginning of August Mars will rise in the east at 10 p.m. and reach its azimuth at about 3 a.m.
By the end of August when the two planets are closest, Mars will rise at nightfall and reach its highest point in the sky at 12:30 a.m. That's pretty convenient when it comes to seeing something that no human has seen in recorded history. So mark your calendar at the beginning of August to see Mars grow progressively brighter and brighter throughout the month. Share with your children and grandchildren. No one alive today will ever see this again.
discitelli
thanks for the info APX, this intergalactic type stuff is a good reminder of how much more there is in the universe than just planet earth.
Orbax
im gonna climb to the top of the highest mountain in the area and check it out, thanks
Stassi
its really too bad I wouldnt capture this moment with a camera :(
DrummeRaver86
definitely won't be missing this...thanks for the info!:D
_Nut_
For people that dont know anything about atmospheric physics you may want to define the azimuth angle. I know what it is (being a meteorology major) but Im way to lazy to put it into general terms.

But yes, this will be great to see.
xtr3m
OMG OMG OMG ARE WE ALL GOING TO DIE?!!1

OMG I DIE ETC
ahlamalek
will Mars appear Red to the naked eye?

if yes, doesn't the Bible says somewhere that before armageddon the moon will be red or some like that!??!

OMG OMG OMG WE DIE!

:rolleyes:
eye_03
uhh.. what're those times for Vancouver, canada ?:conf:
johnson3161
Cool info. My it's time to call my friend up who has a telescope. :D

Theresa
quote:
Originally posted by ahlamalek

if yes, doesn't the Bible says somewhere that before armageddon the moon will be red or some like that!??!

OMG OMG OMG WE DIE!

That's sorta creepy... I wonder, will it look red?
ShyTrance
quote:
Originally posted by ahlamalek

OMG OMG OMG WE DIE!

who said the MOON will be red? Mars is red and it's not a moon..
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 
Privacy Statement