return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Final Scratch: Is it really worth getting??
View this Thread in Original format
Dieselstyles
I'm sooooooooooooo close to picking up this item, as it seems it is the PERFECT answer to someone who can't afford the ever so expensive costs of vinyl, especially when your a person who has just gotten laid off and going back to school this fall. For all the people that say Final scratch is not worth getting, well now here's your chance to persuade someone into not getting it, and for all you PRO Final Scratchies pls. share your wonderful stories with me!!! 500 dollars that can be used on books of 500 dollars for a tool that will be benificial to me..... lol :eyes:
Haunted
do you have a laptop that has MAC or Linux ? and if so do you have a large mp3 selection? then go ahead. personally i like the audio quality of vinyls

but go ahead. more final scratch users = less people buying vinyl. so more for me !
auujay
I have FinalScratch and really like it. But like Haunted said, you will need a laptop that meets the minimum specs (so if it is a PC at elast 800 MHz, or if it is a Mac then 800 MHz G3 (for iBook) or 500 MHz G3 (if older PowerBook)). I would say that if you don't already have a computer to run it and you are low on money, just wait and don't get it yet. For two reasons, decent laptops are not cheap and also a newer version might be better (there are some issues with TFS, though mine works almost perfectly).
specialK
is Version 1.1 compatible with windows? or do you have to have linux? is that operating system included with the package?
auujay
Ok, a quick history.

In the Pre-Historic times FinalScratch was made for BeOS. It was never sold this way, only the early beta testers used it.

In more recent history, FinalScratch version 1.0 wcame out, which runs on "PC" hardware running Linux. Do not fear, you can have Windows and Linux on the same computer (even linux and FS linux). You do not need any knowledge of linux (unless starts to break :) ) just follow the instructions and you end up with a small costumized version of linux on your box.

Then they teamed up with Native Instruments and integrated some parts of Traktor and called it TraktorFS 1.1 (and it was good). TFS runs on the same hardware as 1.0 but also comes with a version for the Mac. As an added bonus, if you buy 1.1 you can download 1.0 for free. Some might ask why on earth anyone would want this, well the two are pretty different and there are a few cases where people have 1.0 runing fine but 1.1 does not work for them (but for most it is the other way around).

The major differences between 1.0 and 1.1 (besides Mac OS X support) is that 1.0 required all song and "record box" managment to be done in windows while 1.1 lets you do it within the app.

The future... they say that a windows version will be coming out in awhile (probably as a pay for upgrade, not a free patch). As it is now it will run on your windows computer, just running in linux (and you can reboot to get into windows). But the plan is to have it running it completly in windows. I think they will probably still support linux because many believe it is more stable (which is VERY important when spinning out).

So in the end in answer to your question. It does not run IN windows but the required Linux is included because it does not just run in Linux like a normal app. It is really a stripped down distro of Debian (I believe) that does not let you run anyother programs. That said there are some HOW-TOs around about how to port it to normal Linux distros (like Red Hat).
Endo
You can also get 50 vinyls with 500 dollars (w/out tax). I'm not for or against final scratch (never used it) but it does seem very interesting. But then again I don't have a laptop or linux, or 500 dollars for that matter :p
Vert
Just remember that you can never use illegally downloaded mp3s in a club. You can however play those 50 vinyls that you could buy ... :rolleyes:

I personally think buying vinyl is far more fun than downloading mp3s.

es
Tranquil010
I really enjoy thouse CD players. like the CDJ_1000 and the Pro Scratch 1 whcih i have.. they offer effects, looping and sampling which final scratch does not offer. I see it for me at least, is i burn mp3s onto cd;s and use the musis that way
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement