return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Need new needles any suggestions?
View this Thread in Original format
JohnSmith
I want something that's good for general DJ use, low record wear, good bass and treble.

don't wanna pay TOO much, but willing to buy what's worth it.

I currently have 2 stanton Trackmaster2SK integrated headshell ones, but i am unsatisfied with the quality of the stylus, they wore out very quickly, i've went through 2 sets of stylii in just over a year with moderate use. Also, the sound quality isn't very good, there is a lot of hissing on S sounds for example. I have read that these needles are well known for this, so i am not sure i want to purchase the same replacement stylus. On the plus side, they are dirt cheap, only $35 for 2.

Then there are these ones, STANTON REPLACEMENT STYLUS FOR GROOVEMASTER-RM which i have been told will fit right onto the existing headshell i have. They are considerably more though, $50 for one, almost 3 times as expensive as the T2SK. I'm not sure it's worth it to get these or not. Has anybody used these stylii?

There are also these two

STANTON REPLACEMENT STYLUS FOR TM-2-RS $40

and

STANTON REPLACEMENT STYLUS FOR GROOVEMASTER-2-PRO $45

What I'd like to know is two things.
1. Are any of these stanton needles going to be a significant enough improvement over what i am running now (T2SKs)
2. Can anyone confirm that these stylus are even options to me, without buying another headshell? I have been told that they should go right on, and i don't see why they wouldn't, it's the same design, but i want to be sure.

If not, can anyone suggest another needle? I don't want to buy another set of integrated headshell type carts, but i have the technics carts just sitting there doing nothing, so maybe I could go for something like this:

ORTOFON DJ CARTRIDGE SILVER W/EXTRA STYLUS $70 including cartridge.

I've also heard very good things about these:

SHURE DJ CARTRIDGE STANDARD M44-G $65 plus $40 for stylus, $105 the most expensive option listed.

In the end, all i REALLY need to spend is $35 and i can keep spinning, but i'd like to have better sound quality and more resistance to wear. I'm not averse to spending more if it's worth it. I'm not too keen on buying another headshell, as I already have 4 and only two decks, i don't need another at this point.

So, anyone got any suggestions?
Freak
I use:

Ortofon DJ S concordes
and
Ortofon nightclub S concordes.

the best i have used-last ages, sound great and hold the groove real well- set them up right and they wont skip.
Good thing about the concordes is they fit straight on the tonearm- no f*cking about with getting them on the headshells and stuff.

HTFR list DJ s twin pack in case as £110 for the set, and £160 for the nightclub S twin pack. Replacement stylus are £22 and £40 respectively...

I can 100% recommend these- have used them night in night out for some time and they have never let me down.
JohnSmith
yeah, but like i said, i am not too keen on buying another set of headshells.

do you think the OM version of the ortofons would be good? i wasn't able to find them in the pro version, only the basic silver ones.
Vert
I think you are a bit confused on what is what...

Headshell:

Concord Cartridge:

Headshell mounted Cartridge:

Maybe you mean you already have alot of cartridges?

es
Freak
quote:
Originally posted by JohnSmith
yeah, but like i said, i am not too keen on buying another set of headshells.

this is the good thing about concordes- you dont need headshells- they go straight onto the tonearm......

As posted above- are you a confused?

cant comment on the OM headshell mounted versions- not used them.
auujay
I currently have Ortofon Pros (or whatever the silver ones are that are one step above the black ones) and they are nice but have a pretty high tracking force (4 grams) and they are starting to get worn. So I was looking for replacments and for the same price as a replacment styli I can get the Shure M35X ( http://www.needlz.com/cartridges/m35x.asp ) which I hear is very solid (I already have Technics headshells lying around). The M35X is suppossed to be the most accurate needle from Shure (well of the DJ line, probably excluding the new Whitelabel). I am definitly going to be buying a pair of these soon.
Vert
I'm pretty sure the Concord Pro S is higher up than the normal Pro.

es
auujay
quote:
Originally posted by Vert
I'm pretty sure the Concord Pro S is higher up than the normal Pro.

es

I do not believe so. From www.ortofon.com it looks like the only difference besides the name and color is that the Pro (the silver one) has a smaller stylus tip radius (R 18 µm instead of R 26 µm). All the other specs are identical. After owning the Ortofon Pro, I would say if you are going to get Ortofon, at least get the DJ S, don't bother with there entry level stuff, it just is not worth it IMO.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement