return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Archives > Classic old threads / Inactive Forums > Frequently Asked Questions / Tutorials / How do I?

Network Setup for XP without using XP Setup Wizard
View this Thread in Original format
QuickStep
Hey everyone,

I was hoping someone who has an existing network setup can explain to me how to create a network on an XP machine without using XP. I've used the Network Setup on XP and runs into errors everytime, then tells me to recofig with different settings. Each change does nothing, so I have given up on XP Network Wizard.

Here's my info:
The Server
AMD +1800
516 DDR
100 gigs
Windows XP.

I want to use my existing wireless access router for the network. Can anyone kinda give me an idea what other program I coudl use to make a network for the house. I want to be able to share internet access, printers, and various folders.

Thanks in advance!

Phil
RobertRollie
if you want to do file or printer sharing you pretty much have to use windows networking... about your only other option would be to install novell netware.

How you connect it up depends on what is connecting to the network. If you have a wireless hub router then your pc needs to have a wireless lan card. Both need to be using the same protocol (tcp/ip probably0 and both need to be on the same address space.
jonsimmonds
could you list what pc's will be attached to the network, how they are conected (wireless or wired etherner cables) and the specs of any routers/hubs etc you'll be using, and which pc's have internet conctions and printers.

It can be done but will take a bit of time, when i know the info i can give more detailed instructions
jploveparade
Winroute does the job
SgtFoo
I'm in a similar situation.

I just connected 2 computers wirelessly.

My server computer upstairs, has the wireless router connected directly to it.
My client computer downstairs has the wireless PCI card in it.

I've managed to successfully share internet on both machines, but how do I network them so that I can look at files on both comps, share printers, etc??
Apparently, it's not as easy as adding shared folders everywhere.

I would actually like to avoid 3rd party networking software, since both machines are on WinXP anyways.
sw1
At work, I have a wired LinkSys router with 4-port switch, which is linked to a wired LinkSys 8-port switch and three wired LinkSys 4-port switches on the LAN ports, and an ADSL modem on the WAN port. We have computers running Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Home, Windows 2000, and Windows 98SE. We also have some network printers.

The Windows network is set up as a Workgroup. I believe this is called a peer-to-peer network, which allows any computer to access any other computer in the same workgroup directly, without going through a server (depending on the Sharing settings on each computer, of course). The router is set up as a Gateway. It allows or blocks each computer's access to the internet independently (depending on the Router's filter settings) without affecting network access.

This is the only way I know how to do it. There is not much network security in this setup, but that really isn't a problem for our small network. I don't know how to set up a server and I don't know how to set up a network using a Domain. I'm not a network expert. I've tried using the XP Network Setup Wizard and making Setup Floppy Disk, but I find it's easier for me to set up the IP Addresses, Gateway and DNS Servers manually in Windows XP and 2000. I don't have any experience with wireless routers. Anyways, that's my experience with Windows networking.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement