return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Knee Surgery
View this Thread in Original format
DrummeRaver86
Has anyone had it before? It turns out there's some torn cartilage on the outside edge near the meniscus, it really sucks. The doctor says that I have to have surgery, no way to avoid it. My options are to just trim it all up, and the recovery period is 2-3 weeks. Or, I can have it totally repaired, and the recovery period is 6 MONTHS. The thing is that it's highly unlikely it can be totally repaired because of how old the injury is. Plus, my soccer season ends in late November, so I'm screwed anyhow out of at least half the season. I'm so damn upset.
torontotrance
They say one day I will need knee surgery from all the years that I played goaltender in Hockey. I have found that exercising it has helped it, basically I have the same injury but mine is not bad enough to require surgery. It's a toss up because you just damage it more if you keep playing and then require major surgery that basically leaves you out about a year or you get surgery and take the lumps as is.
Turbonium
I'd go for full repair.

I'm having my ACL reconstructed sometime next year.
PhloTron
PCL, MCL, Meniscus tear 2 1/2 years ago...

I did 6 months of staying off/rehab, no surgery, it works fine, is strong (although i wear a brace playing hockey for comfort). The meniscus is in dull pain almost all the time, but even if repaired it would never "feel perfect" again according to doc & ppl I know that have had the surgery.

This diagnosis & treatment (or lack there of) was from my sports doctor, who is also the Portland Winterhawks (WHL) hockey team doctor who deals with these injuries quite often.

My recommendation is get a couple opinions....hate to see you have to get agressive surgury you don't really need right now at a young(er) age just because the doc is knife happy. You (and I) may have to have the surgery down the road...but it's always nice if you don't have to have it (natural healing...save some $$$...rehab a stronger knee)

oh...and at about the same time, my mother had a meniscus tear repaired by surgery...she's in worse shape than me still well after the "repair" granted she's at retiremtent age but you just have to wonder how varied one doctors opinion is to another.

Even though surgery has improved dramatically (orthriscopics etc) over the years and surgery is usually immediately done to repair things, especially in sports with costly/lenthy rehab to follow...you have to remember the body does, and can heal itself just as it has done for thousands of years.
ward987
first of all how old are you? i was 22 when i tore my acl and meniscus. i played three sports recreationally. i was pissed. i had 2 surgerys. one to clean it out the next to repair it. get it repaired. if you dont you will have problems with soccer in your lateral movements, side to side movements. my surgery knee is stronger than my non injured knee. it takes time though. get a good reputable knee doctor to do the surgery. follow the doctors instructions and dont push it. the therapist is a great help also. get a good physical therapist and do as she says. do your exercises at home as instructed. everything will work out fine. im 27 now and have 0 problems with my knees. you notice phlotron wears a brace when he plays/ no surgery. i dont/with surgery. now several people that have had this surgery. all of them function fine. it takes about a year to totally get back to full strength in the leg and knee. hope i can help!
DrummeRaver86
well, i will be having the surgery hopefully by the end of this week. the doctor says he will clean the cartilage up, and if he sees that he can do a full repair, he will. I've decided to get the surgery now and not wait, even if it does mean me begin out for this soccer season, becausw i'm sure that it will help me in the long run if i don't wait. Also, im a goalkeeper in soccer, so it's very painful to play with a ed up knee.

thanks for all the help and ideas/opinions.

BTW: i'm 16.
ward987
definitely get the surgery. your too young not too. it will suck for a while but better in the long run. get a mri or the scan they do to tell all the damage. then get it all done in one surgery. your dont want to have 2 surgerys, trust me. ask your doctor about all in one surgery.
Emil
Knee surgery eh.
My story. :p I had surgery in June of 97, for a dislocating left kneecap. Did the surgery, went to therapy. 6 years later, I have regained 5% of the strength in my left quad. So, I can't run, can't go upstairs, you get the idea. Last year was a total crap year, I had surgery again in 02. This new doc claimed I had pressure in my kneecap, not allowing muscle to regrow. He does a surgery, I go to physical therapy. The physical therapist sucked ass, they need therapists themselves.:whip: :whip:

I get passed from one doctor to the next, nuerologist is telling me I might have Lou Gherigs disease. :rolleyes: I finally go to one of the top neurologists in San Francisco, CA. He says everything is ok, (thank god). He said a small % of people never regain full strength. (During all these years I have always worked out, attempting to regain strength)

I finally found an excellent therapist, they are the therapists for the L.A. Galaxy soccer team. My therapist pushes me hard, she was great, not bad looking either ;) So finally after all these years I am hopefully starting to get better. I know I'll never run again, but to regain some strength is my goal.

So the point of my story? Make sure you GO TO THERAPY, and make sure your therapist knows what he is doing.

Good Luck,
Emil
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement