return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Playing 2 of the exact same records
View this Thread in Original format
D-Syde
Let me know if anyone has ever done this, heard anyone do it, or even thought about doing it. I got the idea from what I thought I heard Tiesto do the first time I saw him (although I was a little messed up).

Here goes...

Seemed like he had 2 of the EXACT same records on the tables (i forget which song)...but only one was playing. And it would go into the break down...then as it was building up...and building up....AND BUILDING UP..and just about to break...he would switch to the other table and start the build up all over again. Maybe doing that once or twice. It was driving the crowd wild!!!! Cause just as you expect it to break and everyone is about to go wild, it just starts right back into the build-up again....building so much tension.

Let me know what you DJ's think. I have still yet to try it.
Fyx
Dropping down two of the same record is pretty common. But I would say it's used less often to extend/shorten songs than it is for neato mixing tricks and effects. You just have to do it tastefully and in moderation.
Johnny Eckhardt
Do it all the time! Another thing you can do is "answering" where you have the second record like 1 phrase behind the first one so you get an answering effect. If you have both records in sync with each other (so they're both at the exact same spot in the song) and then with one of them, ever so gently move your pitch control just a little + then just a little - , you'll get a phasing effect.
D-Syde
So you used the breakdown / build-up trick? Which song?
patticus
whadaya mean a phasing effect?

anyways i should try this real soon.. i have copies of gouryella and kathys song, i guess its not too bad..

i love that scorchio (emerson late nite dub) mixed into the original scorchio, what a brilliant dood sasha is
djdawn
the phasing effect sounds like using the flanger of the pioneer mixer. Makes strange airplane noises over the track. I love to do this with long snare rolls in build-ups...
Johnny Eckhardt
What pahsing actually is...when you have two sounds that are identical, they cancel each other out. So, when you use your picth to move one of the records just slightly ahead then just slightly behind , it's bringing the two sounds to the point of cancellation and back.
patticus
ok johnny, i shall try this
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement