return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Yet another annoying little shit who wants to be a DJ
View this Thread in Original format
TwoPlow
Yeah, thats me. I know you guys get these threads every couple of days or so, but I've actually done a bit of research, and could just use some input.

At the moment, I'm thinking of a couple Numark TT-200's and a VMX300. Most things I've read seem to point to those as being fairly solid and decent for beginners. How accurate is that/any other suggestions?

My next question is about Headphones. Yeah, Yeah, headphones thread, but the thing is impossible to sort through when you don't know what people are talking about. A few things pointed to the Technics RP1210, but I could still use a bit of input there.

Another thing is about the speaker hookup. Will my mega-ty stereo speakers suffice, or do I need to shell out for yet another piece of hardware?

And my final question is of Vinyl. I have a few things in mind, but it would be good to have some recommendations from people who have experience. What are some good vinyls for learning on? I was thinking of the advice from www.recess.co.uk about getting two of the same vinyl, but I'm not sure if I want to go that route.

Anyway, yeah. Ignore me if you want, but some feedback tossed my way would be appreciated.

TempesTrip
Can't really say anything about the tables. unless you know your really seroius about this then save up and go the extra for the techs. you won't regret it. as far as headphones go. i had a pair of sony mdrv-700's and i retired them after i got them signed my pvd. i then got a pair of pioneer hdj1000's best investment i've made in awhile. tight bass and great highs and mids. but it comes down to personal preference. good vinyls to learn on are those without long ass breaks. just get some basic tracks with a steady beat throughout. i would agree though to buy two of the same vinyl it helps the process along nicely. i've been spinning for 9 years now and i go to recess every now and then to see whats up and new. a great source of information.. hope this helps..peace off - tempest
JohnSmith
get technics right up front. you will have to save a little longer, but trust me, it's worth it.

the behringer mixer you suggested is OK for a beginner though.

Headphones are a personal preference. Just don't get the Sony V700s, they will break. pioneer HDJ-1000, Sony V6 (or MDR 7506), or sennheisser HD-280 (my personal preference) are all good choices

as for vinyl, just start by buying some stuff you like. Buying double packs (2 vinyls in one package) or even triple or more packs can be helpful when starting cuz you get records that will likely go together. same thing with buying stuff from the same artist, for example PVD is well known for having tracks that have similar kick drums that go together well.
hapamoto
I would definetly recommend that you save up the cash and get the techs up front. as most ppl will agree, it will be worth it. most people that make the decision to be a dj don't usually give up the hobby, and this is why i wouldn't suggest getting some cheaper decks first because there is a BIG chance you'll end up getting the techs in the future anyways. besides, the technics have a high resale value, so if for some reason u decide that dj'ing isnt for you, u can get rid of them for closer to their retail value than u would any other TT. headphones, thats a big personal preference issue, the good thing is that they are not the most expensive item, and that you have many choices of really good quality headphones for around 100 bux. i posted a link on here yesterday that showed a couple places you could find the senheizer hd280 pros for $75, although most ppl have the sony mdr700dj headphones, i've got pioneer headphones myself, but again thats all preference, ur better off going out and seeing how they feel on ur head and listening to them if you can. but as a beginner, u probably don't really know what to listen for, but my opinion is a dj should be able to mix fine w/ any good set of headphones, you'll get used to using watever you use so i'd say for starters, go w/ something that ur gonna like wearing, as in not too heavy or make sure the cups fit well over your ears, and as long as u stick w/ in the major recommended brands and models, you should be fine. as far as vinyl is concerned, get some tracks that you like, as your gonna be listening to them a million times in the process of your learning to mix.. if songs have a long break, the solution is pick up the needle and place it after the break, so i mean don't stray away from tracks because of the fact that they have long breaks in them, i just suggest get some tunes you won't mind hearing a lot. good luck! oh.. i am not familiar w/ the mixer your talkin about, but i've seen some behringer mixers for about 100 bux, i'm sure they're fine for learning, just make sure you get something that has EQ's, but you really only need 2 channels for now, since u'll be dropping soo much cash on the decks, i suggest just getting an inexpensive mixer for now to learn on, then when you get better and your skills exceed the abilities of your mixer, than upgrade at that point. you want to be upgrading your equipment because YOU are better than it, you don't want the equipment to be the reason you are good.. and most of all, just remmeber we're all doing this cuz its fun.. so HAVE FUN!!!
El~ZaPo
Go with the VMX200 instead of VMX300, you'll save some cash that way. You probably won't need the 3rd channel or even the kill switches (the EQs can do the same job).

If you're not sure on if you're going to like DJing or not, I would suggest to try some mixing on software first. Some programs emulate CD tables very well (PCDJ, BPM Studio, etc). It's good to try, just to get a feel for it and get some practice in before you buy turntables. I started this way, and have bought my mixer already (which is hooked up to the computer). Once I get turntables, I'll already have the mixer + a good deal of experience DJing.
IntegraR0064
I have a vmx300. Very nice mixer for the price..
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement