return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Record shopping: Online or Offline? (pg. 2)
View this Thread in Original format
VaNFeCto
Well I mean I think a good mix of both is good here in the states. For one online stores u cant compete with the new releases, and the promo's its great but then it can get rather expensive shipping and what not. Then theres the real rec store its always nice to go in there and find some gems and then listening to the recs and I mean for me at least, I just enjoy goin to the record store for one.
Mellow Yellow
I perfre online, the selection for trance in the city is not that good.
liquidmist2001
i buy most of my records online...but i visit my local dj store often. it's called "dj culture." now how can you resist a name like that... hehe, and the thing is that everytime i go in there, i always end up walking out with at least 2 records...it's not badly priced at $11 a record. Infact, i go in there so often now, they give me 5% off all the time, and on "mental mondays," they give everyone 10% off, so i get 15% off, which is pretty tite. frequent visitors to the store are dj rap, dj irene, dj dan and it's owned by a local dj called dj simply jeff... so i get to bump into some of these people every once in a while. i guess it just depends on your preference.
dosed
Ye I suppose where you live has a lot to do with it... my city's only got a few record shops, none of which are very good for trance (tho we're getting an HMV soon, they can be good sometimes)... although the next nearest city has a nice shop, but you gotta pay for the train/bus fare, so it doesn't work out any cheaper than buying online...
Nemesis44
I think that the online stores far outclass the walk in ones.

Too often when you go in to a record shop as an unknown you will get some "up his own arse" DJ wannabe trying to sell you crap that you don't want while he gives all the good stuff to his mates.

Genre specific shops can be a nightmare for the beginner. The DJ culture can also be very narrow minded in terms of who gets into the clique so it can take a while before people even start to take notice of you.

Online stores have to advertise all that they have or they wouldn't be able to exist hence you get a better selection. Providing you use one of the better ones you should be albe to skip all the aggro.

I have never had any problems with above the sky or Global Groove. Hard to find can be good but can also stink at times, not to mention the ridiculous prices they charge for shipping.

Cheers
Nem
conk
My vinyl shopping consists of Satellite Records, Virgin Megastore (good for more popular trance/prog), and Newbury Comics. All in all, its not horrible, but its got nowhere near the selection of online.
bachatu
^^^^
totally agree there Nemesis44. You hit it on the money. Locally here, what is frustrating is that the ppl there try to suggest to you some stuff they like, but for some reason dont really listen as to what you want or pay attention to what your taste is. Ive finally gotten to the point to where I realized that most of the time, they dont have what is on shopping list, so they try to steer you into what they have available, so they can still make some business off you.
Also, they usually tend to carry what sales locally and what local clubs are playing at the moment, based on charts, etc. You may be in a location, where you dont like squat of what your clubs or other djs are playing, so you may not find the tracks your looking for.
Then, let's not get started with some of the characters you find at some of these places. Unbelievable... some ppl act like they are Michael Jackson, because they dj, very snotty attitudes or pretend they know it all, because they have "been around" in the biz since the 80s.
Nemesis44
Hmmm... I have been around since the eighties.

But I can promise you that Billy Jean is not my lover... Heeeee heeeee

OooooW!

Nem:D
Rememberence_
No doubt, online stores own walk-ins imo. Purely because the selection is so much better, and it's so much easier to find releases on a webpage, as opposed to looking through crates and crates of that is probably all in a section called "techno", including of course, dance remixes of britney spears and justin timberlake.

As long as you stick to the good online stores you'll have no problems. That's not to mention all the negatives that Nemesis44 brought up.

Online forever!
Carona
I'd like to support my local stores but every week they get ends and ends of progressive. And the Trance they do get in is garbage. However, they do get some good used stuff in from time to time.

liquidmist2001
yes i do agree that online stores do have better and more promos, wider selection and greater variety, but you still can't beat the feeling of goin' into a record store, talkin' to the local DJs, and walkin' out with a couple of records that you just listened to in their actual condition. it's too bad my local music store is goin' outta business, looks like i was their only regular customer...that's too bad, picked up some good stuff last week, 7 brand spankin' new records for $42, found some real gems... paul van dyk - columbia EP was only $6.50... beat that. newayz, i found another record store, that isn't is as good, that's further away, but i'm still gonna support it cuz the guys in there are really cool, and still love goin' in and gettin' the record that i just heard... my 2 cents...
Breeze
quote:
Originally posted by Nemesis44
I think that the online stores far outclass the walk in ones.

Too often when you go in to a record shop as an unknown you will get some "up his own arse" DJ wannabe trying to sell you crap that you don't want while he gives all the good stuff to his mates.

Genre specific shops can be a nightmare for the beginner. The DJ culture can also be very narrow minded in terms of who gets into the clique so it can take a while before people even start to take notice of you.

Online stores have to advertise all that they have or they wouldn't be able to exist hence you get a better selection. Providing you use one of the better ones you should be albe to skip all the aggro.

I have never had any problems with above the sky or Global Groove. Hard to find can be good but can also stink at times, not to mention the ridiculous prices they charge for shipping.

Cheers
Nem

right on. Also u dont have to leave your house when going online :)
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Privacy Statement